Dungeon Crawl Classics Miniatures?

A forum for discussing the many DCC modules published under third edition rules, EXCEPT for Castle Whiterock, which has its own forum.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Dungeon Crawl Classics Miniatures?

Post by goodmangames »

I've been talking to some people about doing Dungeon Crawl Classics miniatures. The goal would be retro-style heroes and monsters, allowing you to field classic-looking figs while playing D&D. I'm curious...

Would you guys be interested in these?

What sort of figures would you prefer?

Would you rather have boxed sets or individual miniatures?

Any other comments?
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Reese
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Reese »

hmm... i can't say as i would get miniatures, considering i havn't the time for painting

if i was getting minis, i think i would want individual minis so i could get the one like my character...

OTOH, minis in bulk usually means reduced cost/price (from less packaging, if nothing else)

in terms of what kind of minis i would want... a few variations on each class would be nice, such as a good, evil, and neutral version of each class (or a lawful/neutral/chaotic version) though, obviously, there would only be LG versions of a paladin :D

i think i could see myself getting a boxed set of an iconic party (say, a rogue, fighter, cleric, and mage mini)

i can't really say what i would want without seeing how the product turns out, though
(actually, i want a male anthropomorphic cat mini to match my online persona, but that hardly fits into the catagory of likely minis...)
Namfoodle "Sparklediver" Raulnor
{Wounds -12; HP = 11/23}
LVSUBARU
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by LVSUBARU »

I think a retro mini set would be really cool!!
I don't have time for painting either, but I'd still buy. It would be cool if they were pre painted plastic ones like WOTC are making.
Each of the core classes and races would be cool.
Along with the "old school" monsters. Like owlbears, skeletons, harpies, goblins, bugbears, zombies, griffons, etc..........
Other sets get crazy and they forget about the basic monsters.
Mike_Ferguson
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Mike_Ferguson »

Oh, I'd definitely be interested in retro mini sets.

It'd be cool if there were boxed sets for modules. Maybe a PC set for the pre-generated characters in a given module, and a Monster set for the more common monsters in a module. (That way, you could re-use the mosters elsewhere, and not be 'stuck' with the one weird monster in the advetnure that you can't use anywhere else. To me, that'd be the perfect scenario - go to local gaming store, buy new module, buy new minis, play.

You probably couldn't do this for every module, but it'd be fun for something you considered an 'event', like Crypt of the Devil-Lich.

As for painted/unpainted, I like to paint, so obviously I'm for unpainted. But I'd hazard a guess that I'd be in the minority on that. :D
kenwig
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by kenwig »

Yes, I would be and AM interested, especially in retro monsters!
iceberg
Far-Sighted Wanderer

YES MOST DEFINATELY

Post by iceberg »

I would buy them in a heartbeat. I find painting miniatures a great way to relax. I'm a big fan of the old ralpartha style mini's, which I believe Iron Wind Metals has aquired the license to. I tend to buy individual minis as well as boxes both, so either way they are released would be fine by me.
Punching holes in your soul like it's the hull of the Titanic
Sword Guy
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Sword Guy »

I would really like to see miniatures, particularly of DragonMech *wink wink, nudge nudge*. I would be interested in other miniatures, though, because I just made a list of 32 character concepts, and there could be any one of them in a box. One request, though. Please do not make the boxes have lots of duplicates because they are a much-used monster. Having 4 skeleton miniatures in different poses would be fine, but having three identical copies of the very same TN rogue would just be annoying. Material I am not so worried about, because there are advantages and disadvantages to each.

Plastic one-piece: less breakable, easier to pick up and play, possibly pre-painted.

Plastic multi-piece: More breakable, easier to pose differently, basic color of plastic could be base paint coat.

Metal: More expensive, easily breakable, complicated and detailed models possible.

Maybe have something like an archlich be a metal model for detail, while the skeletons be plastic multi-piece and the PCs be plastic one-pieces?

Just some thoughts.
DragonMech DM soon, with any luck.

Owner of all DragonMech books, Etherscope core book, and DCC 12.5: Iron Crypt of the Heretics.
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

OK, thanks for the feedback. I can tell already that I won't be able to satisfy everybody. :) But I'll see what I can do!
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Napftor
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Napftor »

Don't care what kind of minis they are, but I know I'll buy them especially if they're in boxed sets!!! Can't go wrong with minis.
Bret Boyd
Freelance Writer
------------------------
Tricky Owlbear Publishing
Freelancer's Rest (my blog)

Re: Dungeon Crawl Classics Miniatures?

Post by Guest »

goodmangames wrote:Would you guys be interested in these?

What sort of figures would you prefer?
How about some of those Elder Gelatinous Cubes? I can always use one as a doorstop. How much would it cost to ship a 15 lb pewter block via UPS? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Alternately, you could just half-melt a 2 pound block of lucite.

I'm a recent convert to plastic minis, they are a blessing! Don't have to worry about dropping them, and they are light.

I don't care what they are as long as they are sculpted by Erol Otus!
Dee
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Minis

Post by Dee »

Would you rather have boxed sets or individual miniatures?
No Collectible minis please.
Not a chance on me buying these.

Boxed sets of each DCC--monsters, with a general limited assortment of individuals for characters.
This also solves much of the tournament DCC problems of characters since they can be included in a Boxed Set if necessary.
Black Knight
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Black Knight »

DCC boxed sets = awesome idea, would love to see them!
Iconic/pre-genned boxed set = another cool idea!

How about a few boxed sets (or blister packs) of some of the basic monsters that are really used alot (goblins, orcs, gnolls, bugbears, etc.). I hate needing to buy 20 boxes of WotC's minis (though I happily buy 2-4 boxes every week) just so I can get enough orcs to field a 10-man squad against my PCs.

I would definitely buy all of the minis that came out.
JP Quinn
Owner, Dolmen Creative
Giving dice to your imagination!
Goodman Games Writing Credits: A few 3E DCCs, a Complete Guide, and a few books for Blackmoor.
vfults
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by vfults »

I love miniatures but the time I have to paint them is almost non-existant. I've been making use of the WOTC prepainted plastic D&D minis for the last couple of years. While the quality of the sculpts and painting aren't the best, it's nice to be able to throw the night's encounters in a bag and not have to worry about paint chipping or miniatures breaking.

Regards,

V
"It is a mistake to bow to the wishes of munchkins who whine." --E Gary Gygax
Alarick

dungeon crawl classic minatures

Post by Alarick »

id buy a ton of them my self id like to see lots of diffrent ones like gnomes 1/2lings dwarves elves in difrent classes
slimykuotoan-

Post by slimykuotoan- »

Only plastic minis pour moi...

Gotta love not having to paint then, and throwing them in a box afterwards...

A DM's opinion.
Alarick

doungeon crawl minis

Post by Alarick »

how about characters sold on ft and mntd on horses ponies for halflingsand dwarfs
Alarick

Doungeon crawl minis

Post by Alarick »

ok here are some question about the minis id like to ask
1when will they be out for sale
2 will you be doing all the creatures in the monstermaual
3 how much will they cost
4will they be in scale with the wizards of the coast minis or more colser to the reaper line
5when can we get look at them

6will they be singles or boxsets

7will there be any trolls and owl bears
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

The miniatures are still very much a work in progress, so I don't have specific answers to, well, any of those questions! All will be revealed in time, as they say. I hope to have the first previews available by Gen Con.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
ewheeler
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by ewheeler »

I would love to see some miniatures designed by Erol Otus.

As for the other details, plastic minis are fine as long as they aren't in collectable/blind packs. I collect mostly metal minis, but it doesn't really matter to me.

-e
Drone
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Drone »

What I'd like to see:

1. Minis in a boxed set, non-random so you know what you're getting. With box-art by Erol Otus!
2. Classic monsters and iconics with different alignments (as above).
3. Fully-assembled plastic or ralidium. I hate having to glue minis together! Painted or unpainted, makes no diff to me.
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

My preference, for what it's worth, would be for plastic pre-painted minis. I don't paint and I'm a cheapskate, so that's the only format I'd buy them in.

Still hoping to have previews at Gen Con?
jugger
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by jugger »

goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Wow, now THAT is some old school packaging!

While I've been looking into this, one thing I've found out is that Ironwind Metals owns the rights to a lot of the old "classic" D&D minis, like the ones you recognize because we ALL owned those figures back in 1982. Check out one of their catalogues sometime; you might recognize some of the figures. It's pretty cool.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
lyonstudio
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by lyonstudio »

:twisted: MUHAHAHAHAHAHA!

You guys have some neat stuff to see soon. I sculpted one of the figures you should hopefully see at GenCon and I have seen the others that were done by a full time professional sculptor. They are at the caster's shop now. Lots of fun!

As far as Erol Otus sculpting a figure, well I have no knowlege of that, but as soon as Joseph gives me the ok, I will begin working on a figure based off of some Erol Otus artwork. I think that is about as much as I can say on that without violating my non disclosure agreement with Goodman Games.

Joseph does good stuff and if these sell well (hint, hint, buy two sets for yourself and some for your cousin, and get your friends to buy some) I am sure he will keep them rolling out. He has indicated as much to me.
Sincerely,

Kevin Chenevert
http://www.RedKobold.com
Ssendam
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Ssendam »

I would love to see miniatures based on Erol Otus' artwork. I know what he's done some minis himself so maybe it's not that far fetched?

EDIT: ha ha I see that others have suggested Otus minis. I would specifically like to see that evil Treant.
Lord of the insane

Return to “DCC Modules - 3E”