Still a little shaky on running a shaman

Mutant Crawl Classics is the warped, mutant sci-fi twin to DCC. All Plantients, Manimals, Mutants and PSH are welcome here...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

maceo_the_escher
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Mind Games

Still a little shaky on running a shaman

Post by maceo_the_escher »

I read over what I could find here on the forums and it did help a little but I'm still kinda uncertain about my understanding.

1. At 1st level the player rolls on the Patron AI Bond table. That result basically determines the shaman's abilities moving forward. Roll low and you're kinda screwed with 1 wetware a week or something.
2. Based on the result of step 1, the character now can Invoke Patron AI a certain number of times a day and might even have some of the additional wetware programs each Patron AI has.
    My first question is the Patron AI Bond table only has results that indicate a character can get two patron wetware programs (result of 32+). How and when would they get the 3rd one? Those three wetware programs are making my brain itch. I don't get them.
      If the character has a 14 Int and get +1 Max Wetware Programs what does that mean? Let's say that same character got a 22 with all adjustments to their initial Patron AI Bond roll. Does that mean they can activate it three times a day instead of two?

Thanks for any help with this.
      Manakin
      Ill-Fated Peasant
      FLGS: Barnes and noble

Re: Still a little shaky on running a shaman

Post by Manakin »

I am also confused on shamans...i mean if i cant...er..shaman...whats the point of being a shaman? Also how does one even get to those high numbers on that other table? i mean i dont even see where one can get anywhere near that kind of numbers. What/where does one total what to make the roll?

sorry im just really lost here.
      Mouse
      Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Mouse »

Your absolutely right.. The game does seem a little slanted against the shaman.

Honestly I give the player a medium good bond for free, two uses with a +1, and I usually give them new programs as they get the minimum level to cast (so far this has never thrown off the game, and they still seem less powerful than mutants). I might try asking Jim Wampler the creator on a few of his thoughts, because they certainly seem more limited than mutants and manimals

I also like to give Shamans free stuff based on their bond. GAEA shamans can always predict weather and identify plants. HALE-E shamans can always relate their current experience to a movie they saw, and best understand ancient life. UKUR Shamans can sometimes summon an UBER and know the train schedule.

I think Shamans a very cool, and add a lot of flavor and it is unfortunate that rules make them a less good choice

Sorry nothing real, but just a few thoughts
      maceo_the_escher
      Far-Sighted Wanderer
      FLGS: Mind Games

Post by maceo_the_escher »

Has anyone tried the Technomancer class from Wampler's Fight this Mutant supplement?
      Melfast
      Wild-Eyed Zealot
      FLGS: Empire Games

Post by Melfast »

Hey Macro_the_escher

I have a copy of it and looked it over. It is pretty interesting and certainly looks playable.

The class does not have a Patron AI. Instead it has some cyberlink technology that implants and imprints the Technomancer's programs into her mind.

"The neural programs of technomancers are unique in that they are all stored in the memory data crystal of each and every cyberlink device. Access to each neural program is thus not granted and transmitted to the technomancer by an AI Deity, but rather by the individual technomancer’s innate abilities as measured by the level of success achieved in casting the Cyberlink Bond program."

Neural programs have a "miscalculation" chance that is analogous to Patron AI taint.

There is no Invoke Cyberlink Bond program. Instead, the Cyberlink Bond program check determines how often the Technomancer can activate their programs and the maximum program level the Technomancer can use. Roll low, and the Technomancer may only end up with access to Level-1 programs. A program check level of 28+ is necessary to get Level-5 programs.

The class comes with 10 Cyberlink AI programs, two of each Program level (two Level-1, two Level-2, etc.).

Technomancers get a one program per character level. Level-1 programs are unlocked at 1st level, Level-2 programs are unlocked at 3rd level, Level-3 programs are unlocked at 5th level, etc. The Invoke Cyberlink Bond check result can vary this progression and make it lower.

Overall, it looks like a nice take on a cyber-mage kind of character, and it sufficiently different from Shaman that you could have both in your campaign.

They remind me some of the Wizards of the Breakness Institute in Vance's "The Languages of Pao"

Return to “Mutant Crawl Classics RPG”