Prince Charming, Reanimator

The place for Play-by-Post adventures with DCC RPG, MCC RPG, XCC, DCC Lankhmar, and more...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Re: Prince Charming, Reanimator

Post by MrHemlocks »

Tuck Rafo, Balin and Tarpy are on the narrow path. They did not enter the courtyard. Maybe make this a two thread adventure..least till now?
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

MrHemlocks wrote:Maybe make this a two thread adventure..least till now?
That shouldn't be necessary; I am sure that you are all close enough to hear each other screaming. :twisted:

I just need to make sure that I know who is where before describing what happens, and what is seen.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
marshal kt

Post by marshal kt »

All my guys are on the wide path or the wide/clearing at the end..wherever the dead bodies are, with the helmet and swords.
Lat, Barrelchest, VVagner and Spud.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Courtyard

The courtyard is large. You can see entrances to ruined towers to the east and west, flanking the southern corners of the castle. To the right, what appears to be a chapel. To the left, doorways that now appear impassable, and a double door that may once have led into a stable. Ahead, across the open space, another double door to your left, and the broad steps leading to an upper courtyard to your right.

This area contains many ancient skeletons – those of dogs, men, women, children, horses, cats, and even birds and mice. All seem to have been struck suddenly, and at the same time. Soldiers in long-ruined leather armour still clutch the rotted shaft of halberds whose blades have rusted through. Children lie with a rotted wooden ball (some bright red and yellow paint
still clinging to it). Horse skeletons lie with ruined bit, bridle, and saddle.

Throm locates a pair of silver earrings with small red stones in them near one skeleton.

Rob gains +1 Luck for being the first to dare the castle grounds.

Narrow Path

All seems quiet enough here. A raven lands on a branch nearby and cocks its head, eyeing you curiously.

Balin smells nothing; but then the ability to smell gold and gems comes at 1st level, not 0-level, so he is not much surprised. He just needs more practice at it.

Those chopping around the vines discover a small wooden door behind another heavy growth of red roses. It is slightly
ajar, opening outward toward you. There is just enough room to open it far enough to allow you to slip in one at a time, if you so choose.

Wide Path

Cedric is able to drag the longsword away from the gap with his pitchfork.

Trapdoor

Opening the trapdoor, Renlo sees the remains of a wooden ladder supplying access to a tunnel leading downward about 20 feet; at the bottom, it seems to connect to a dark tunnel headed northward.

Renlo also gains +1 Luck for being the first of his group to dare the unknown.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

I thought the dwarf ability to smell gold & gems was a racial ability not a class level one. Like the darkvision?

Also, will you have a map for us to look at? Hard to visualize the layout of the court? I have a rough idea where things are located...at best.

I would have my characters do more if only I can be sure where things are located at.

thx
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

MrHemlocks wrote:I thought the dwarf ability to smell gold & gems was a racial ability not a class level one. Like the darkvision?
Core Rules, p. 21:

Demi-humans at level 0: Characters whose 0-level result includes a demi-human race must advance in class as that demi-human. For example, a dwarven miner levels up as a dwarf. 0-level demi-humans are able to utilize select racial traits as follows: dwarves have infravision and a base speed of 20’; elves are sensitive to iron and have heightened senses; and halflings have infravision. Refer to the dwarf, elf, and halfling class descriptions for more information on these abilities. 0-level demi-humans speak Common plus their racial language, with additional languages gained as they level up. Just as all characters gain improved abilities and, sometimes, additional languages when they reach level 1, demihuman characters polish their natural talents through adventuring.

Also, please note that infravision is not quite the same thing as 3e darkvision. Infravision is the ability to see into the infrared spectrum - effectively being able to see heat and cold. Having a large heat source masks other signatures, so that things hiding in the shadows of a room lit by a bonfire might be invisible to infravision, and infravision is all but useless while near a torch (it is like having a flashlight shined into your eyes for seeing in that part of the spectrum). Finally, an object which is the same ambient temperature as its surroundings might not be obvious, and you cannot read with infravision.
Also, will you have a map for us to look at? Hard to visualize the layout of the court? I have a rough idea where things are located...at best.

I would have my characters do more if only I can be sure where things are located at.
If you have questions, I will be happy to clarify as soon as you can see the courtyard. From where you are at, you are able to see the crack in the wall. To the left of this, the ruins of a square tower rises, visible through the undergrowth. You are also able to see the small wooden door that was hidden behind rose bushes, also set into the wall to the left of where the crack is.

Granting Luck bonuses for going first is just my way of tempting all of you into unbelievable danger. There is the small door by the narrow way, and by the wide way there is the crack in the tower and the gap in the wall, all of which can be investigated if you dare. For what it is worth, the gap in the wall from the wide path can be seen from the courtyard, with the skeleton of a man half within it.
SoBH pbp:

drpete
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by drpete »

Renlo examines the ladder, trying to determine if it is sturdy enough to climb on. He also tries to see if there is anything his dwarf eyes can tell him about the tunnel. "Cedric, what do you think, throw in the longsword for whoever goes first?" Is north the direction of the gap?

If Cedric, over by the gap, can see the others, or sense that they are on the other side of the gap, he'll tell them what they found. Otherwise, he tries to spear the body with his pitchfork, figuring it must be the leader. He nods at Renlo's suggestion.

Bryce kneels down at the mouth of the crack (the one you need to be on your hands and knees to enter) and looks to see if it's overgrown by the thorny vines. "guys, we're not going to be able to get the animals down there without a rope."

Foxfire will look at the other men sitting around "Are you guys going to help? A rope, or something like one would be super helpful if you can find something..."
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

drpete wrote:Renlo examines the ladder, trying to determine if it is sturdy enough to climb on. He also tries to see if there is anything his dwarf eyes can tell him about the tunnel. "Cedric, what do you think, throw in the longsword for whoever goes first?" Is north the direction of the gap?
Both the crack and the gap are to the north; the crack is in the base of a tower and is east of the gap.

The ladders seems to be sturdy enough, although some of the rungs are missing.
If Cedric, over by the gap, can see the others, or sense that they are on the other side of the gap, he'll tell them what they found. Otherwise, he tries to spear the body with his pitchfork, figuring it must be the leader. He nods at Renlo's suggestion.
It is not so much a body as a skeleton, and it falls to pieces under the gentle ministrations of the pitchfork.
Bryce kneels down at the mouth of the crack (the one you need to be on your hands and knees to enter) and looks to see if it's overgrown by the thorny vines. "guys, we're not going to be able to get the animals down there without a rope."
It is not overgrown, and appears to be fairly level, entering into a dark space after a few feet - clearly the ground level of the square tower. There is no sign of movement, and the air smells somewhat musty.
SoBH pbp:

MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

***Narrow Passage Toward Courtyard***

Looking out and into the courtyard, Balin calls for the rest of the folks. Least those that can hear him. "We found a door hidden behind these vines and it is ajar. Looks like a small passage winds its way within." Tarpy, Rafo, and Tuck stop hacking away at the vines once the door is discovered and wait to see if any other towns people head their way.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

MrHemlocks wrote:***Narrow Passage Toward Courtyard***

Looking out and into the courtyard, Balin calls for the rest of the folks. Least those that can hear him. "We found a door hidden behind these vines and it is ajar. Looks like a small passage winds its way within." Tarpy, Rafo, and Tuck stop hacking away at the vines once the door is discovered and wait to see if any other towns people head their way.
All right. Balin can be heard by all, even those who are at the wide path, though they must make a Luck check (roll 1d20 and get a result equal to or less than your Luck) to make out his words clearly enough to understand. To save a lot of rolling, the odds are good that someone heard it clearly enough.
SoBH pbp:

drpete
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by drpete »

Cedric calls back "We've got a tunnel! And an entrance to the tower! Do you guys have rope?"

Bryce tells his the people he's with "I think getting up the tower will give us a better view of what's going on... I'll go, but I want the sword and helm for it. Unless someone else wants to go first...?" He'll give the others a chance to volunteer, then if they don't, he'll crawl into the crack in the tower...

Foxfire will examine the walls of their clearing, to see if there are other hidden doors.

Renlo will go stand by the crack, ready to aid Bryce (or another volunteer) if something horrible happens.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Rafo, Balin, Tarpy & Balin hear the others respond to them also finding an entrance. Tarpy calls out; "you want us to join you guys over by the tower? We heard you also found a way in through the tower."
marshal kt

Post by marshal kt »

OC: I haven't gotten an update fo a couple.. sorry I haven't posted.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

marshal kt wrote:OC: I haven't gotten an update fo a couple.. sorry I haven't posted.
Don't worry about it.
SoBH pbp:

GreyWolfVT
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by GreyWolfVT »

OOC: I haven't been getting any updates in my email either... :?
Last edited by GreyWolfVT on Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
GreyWolfVT
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by GreyWolfVT »

Raven_Crowking wrote:Just so that I am clear, can you tell me who is on the narrow way, and who on the wide.
My guys all went back and took the narrow way. Also last I knew there was a wall to climb in the narrow way and my guys all climbed over it.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Well, feel free to do stuff now. I can't tell anyone what happens until they do something.....unless, of course, something comes to them!
SoBH pbp:

drpete
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by drpete »

Cedric calls out to the others "Find out where your door goes! Let's find the best way in!"
GreyWolfVT
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by GreyWolfVT »

Rob, Throm, Horris and Bran all climbed over the wall mentioned earlier for the narrow path. OOC: Quotes are the last thing I recall being told.
Raven_Crowking wrote:Beyond the broken place in the wall, you can see an enormous area filled with cracked paving stones, what was once the main courtyard of this castle. To the south can be seen the great doors that once protected the barbican, now hanging askew, but so thick with vines and vegetation that they are less passable than when they once guarded the castle entrance. Various doors, to outbuildings or other sections of the castle, can be seen, but many are choked with rubble. Some few others are still intact. To the northeast, a set of steps leads at a 45° angle to what appears to be an upper courtyard. Trees and vines have grown here as well, offering plenty of concealment for hidden enemies. Everywhere is the cloying scent of roses.
GreyWolfVT wrote:Rob "Alright the other side is clear if you all wish to come over." he says to Bran, Horris and Throm. They begin climbing over to the other side. Once they are on the other side of the wall they will search the area.
Raven_Crowking wrote:Courtyard

The courtyard is large. You can see entrances to ruined towers to the east and west, flanking the southern corners of the castle. To the right, what appears to be a chapel. To the left, doorways that now appear impassable, and a double door that may once have led into a stable. Ahead, across the open space, another double door to your left, and the broad steps leading to an upper courtyard to your right.

This area contains many ancient skeletons – those of dogs, men, women, children, horses, cats, and even birds and mice. All seem to have been struck suddenly, and at the same time. Soldiers in long-ruined leather armour still clutch the rotted shaft of halberds whose blades have rusted through. Children lie with a rotted wooden ball (some bright red and yellow paint
still clinging to it). Horse skeletons lie with ruined bit, bridle, and saddle.

Throm locates a pair of silver earrings with small red stones in them near one skeleton.

Rob gains +1 Luck for being the first to dare the castle grounds.
Throm, Horris, Rob & Bran mutter among themselves then decide to try one of the towers heading to the one in the east to investigate it. They've decided it is best to avoid the charred remains who knows what could happen those things might be undead.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Being that no one is coming over to where Tuck, Rafo, Balin and Tarpy wait they decide to venture forth themselves. Rafo, using his shovel looks around and grabs ahold of a long limb that had fallen from the nearby trees and works on it to make a crude 5' pole.

Finishing the crud pole, Rafo looks back at the other three scared party members."Here we go men. Be real careful and look for traps and possible hidden doors that might be waiting for us within the gloomy darkness." Opening the old wood door, near the wall, the four venture forth. Rafo using his makeshift pole prods his way down the tunnel. Second in line, with a torch lit and cursing under his breath is Tarpy. Followed by Balin than Tuck, with his torch ablaze, and in the rear of the group.

Rafo Spot=5
Tary Spot=18
Balin Spot=13
Tuck Spot=4

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Okay, Rafo, you can have the +1 Luck for going first!

A narrow dark stair descends into the ground, and then enters a 5’ wide tunnel 8’ high, heading to the northeast.
SoBH pbp:

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

GreyWolfVT wrote:Throm, Horris, Rob & Bran mutter among themselves then decide to try one of the towers heading to the one in the east to investigate it. They've decided it is best to avoid the charred remains who knows what could happen those things might be undead.
The tower to the east has a wooden door, which is barred from the outside. You could easily lift the bar and open the door, if you decided to do so.
SoBH pbp:

drpete
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by drpete »

Not seeing anyone else wanting to volunteer, Bryce will crawl into the crack. Renlo will follow him if nothing horrible happens to him, then Foxfire and Cedric. If it is too dark inside, Cedric will light his candle.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Okay Bryce can have +1 Luck as well.

Beyond the narrow crack the dark base of the tower, some 30 feet across, with a ceiling of oak perhaps 12 feet overhead. Stairs wind counterclockwise around the interior of the square tower, beginning midway on the wall to your right, leading to an upper floor. Near the crack in the wall, the flags of the floor are humped with earth, fallen leaves, thick roots, and ancient bones. Otherwise, the floor is bare. The steps lead to a trapdoor in the ceiling.

There is a single door, to the left, barred from within.
SoBH pbp:

drpete
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by drpete »

Eager to have a look out at the castle from above, Bryce ignores the locked door, and heads up the stairs, followed by Cedric. Renlo and Foxfire pause to search the room for anything interesting.

Return to “Crawl-By-Post”