A request regarding adventure formatting

There are over 50 DCC Adventures in print, including the main line (DCC #66.5 and up), the Holiday adventures, the Free RPG Day adventures, the new Horror line, and more! Suss them all out here!

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

bryce0lynch
Gongfarmer

A request regarding adventure formatting

Post by bryce0lynch »

Please consider changing these two things in Goodman adventures:

I see two things common in the formatting of DCC adventures, which leads to be believe they are a house style. I understand the benefit of having a house style, but I would urge Goodman to consider a change to their format.

1) Use of italics
Italics is best used in very short occurrences, a few words or a phrase. Goodman seems to use italics in their products for read-aloud, to hi-light that it IS readaloud text. Long section of italics like this take more cognitive load to read and comprehend. It's true! There are actually research papers that have been published stating this. For ease of use purposes I would suggest using nother method to call attention to the read-aloud. A shaded box, indents, something other than long sections of italics.

2) Encounter Formatting
The typical encounter seems to be formatted by putting the read-aloud first, then some general DM text, and then a section offset for the treasure and the monsters. This is generally good, however, in some instances the DM text can get a little long. In these cases I would suggest you consider a change to the house style. Sub-headings do wonders to call attention to relevant sections of the DM text. IE: if you have a paragraph about beheading the statue then start it with a section heading called "beheading the statue" or" killing the statue" or some such, before other room text is introduced. (Or after, whatever) Just something to let us orient ourselves to this section of text. There's no need to go overboard here and label everything with a section heading, that has it's own problems, but some better/more section headings would help out in those longer rooms.
Mat Mobile
Wild-Eyed Zealot
FLGS: L'abyss

Re: A request regarding adventure formatting

Post by Mat Mobile »

1) I agree about this point. I would like shaded boxes but I wonder if it might make the text more difficult to read (contrast).

2) Also agreed. But even though the new trend is to put only bullet points and limit long block texts and descriptions, I still enjoy reading a text than just a "list". Like bryce mentioned, subtitles would be useful to find the correct location in the text to find the required information to run the encounter efficiently. On a similar subject, one of my pet peeves is finding out there's a surprise or trap in the room after I've read the read-aloud text. I think there should be a warning right before the read-aloud. Even if it's a code like *S* = Surprise in room or *T* = Trap in room.

My current method is to read it before hand and highlight what will be important to run the encounter. I'm sure others do the same thing and it's not complicated but there's still a little bit of room for improvement.

All in all though, I enjoy the DCC format of the books:

- The text isn't too long so preparing a session doesn't take hours.
- The monster stats are always included which prevents you from having to look up the stats in another book.*
- The monster stats are short. They don't require you to read a whole page of text!

* On a side note, I'm currently reading "Night Below" from AD&D and the monster stats are included and fairly concise. Why did WOTC remove them all?!? I mean, I do understand... they save pages. But it's so impractical!
TithianKing
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: A request regarding adventure formatting

Post by TithianKing »

I agree for the most part with the OP.

I have very strong opinions about how modules should be written.

For a start, I think the full arc of the module should be set out clearly in an adventure summary at the start of the book. You shouldn't need to read the whole module to know where the module is going. The summary should connect all the key plot developments and explain the most common branching paths. Major NPCs should also be detailed at the front of the book, including full descriptions.

The rest of the book should detail the encounters, but the encounters should never do the heavy lifting for the plot. A GM should never be surprised reading an encounter, they should always know where the encounter fits into the story and what is at stake in the encounter.

Modules shouldn't be written like novels, the point is not to entertain the reader, it's to inspire an entertaining game.

Descriptive text shouldn't be bland and colourless, but it also shouldn't be too florid. If you have to stop reading to explain what a manhir is, it kind of takes away from experience. Describing something that is covered in frost by saying it "casts an elfen glow" only confuses players, just say the object is covered with frost, or alternatively if you want to flavour it up try saying "the frost covered monument casts an elfin glow". Descriptive text should focus on what the PCs see, hear and smell (and sometimes feel). I would rather a chamber be described as "large" or "small" or "long' or "narrow" or "square" (to use a few examples) than to be given a set of measurements (i.e. "a 10ft by 30ft chamber"). I honestly don't know what a 10 by 30 chamber looks like. It tells me nothing. Also ceilings and floors should also be described in the text.

I think player illustrations are under-used tools. I'd rather every illustration in the book be something you can show the players for reference, rather than something only the GM gets to appreciate.

What does a GM really want from a module? My unscientific guess is they want a good adventure hook (or several), an intricate and non-linear map to explore, creative and diverse encounters and advice for staging them.

Unfortunately I think most modules have been written by aspiring novelists, and they are written for the reader, rather than the players.

Return to “DCC RPG Adventure Modules”