What is up with the numbering system for the new DCC Horror?

There are over 50 DCC Adventures in print, including the main line (DCC #66.5 and up), the Holiday adventures, the Free RPG Day adventures, the new Horror line, and more! Suss them all out here!

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Fantacide
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Myth Adventures

What is up with the numbering system for the new DCC Horror?

Post by Fantacide »

Hey all!

I noticed that the new DCC horror line has a #2 and a #5. I don't know if anyone has noticed, but there are missing numbers there. Is this some kind of nefarious plot to drive me insane? Because if it is, it's working. I had no idea that DCC horror would make me recoil in terror from the numbering conventions. Please end my sleepless nights on this issue.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: What is up with the numbering system for the new DCC Hor

Post by GnomeBoy »

I believe they are factoring the previously published "Halloween" adventures as part of the line, so as they get reprinted, they'll be 8.5x11 instead of digest sized and fall into the numbering for the Horror line.

Like, Sempstress is #2, right? That's the first of the older ones that's getting reprinted. Presumably, Corpse that Love Built will someday be reprinted as #4 in the Horror series, #3 would be Devils Reef, etc... So the line will move forwards AND backwards, sort of.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Fantacide
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Myth Adventures

Post by Fantacide »

Ok, that makes sense. Weird to not just start with They Served Brandolyn Red. Wonder what the reasoning was. Either way I'm happy as I've loved all their Halloween stuff.
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Fantacide wrote:Weird to not just start with They Served Brandolyn Red. Wonder what the reasoning was.
Maybe it has to do with stock levels... Perhaps Sempstress was due for a reprint in around the same time as starting a "Horror" strand came about, and so that became the first 'legacy' reprint...?
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

GnomeBoy wrote:
Fantacide wrote:Weird to not just start with They Served Brandolyn Red. Wonder what the reasoning was.
Maybe it has to do with stock levels... Perhaps Sempstress was due for a reprint in around the same time as starting a "Horror" strand came about, and so that became the first 'legacy' reprint...?
Horror is supposed to be disconcerting.

The numbering system is part of that.

:lol:
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Raven_Crowking wrote:Horror is supposed to be disconcerting.

The numbering system is part of that.

:lol:
:twisted:
:mrgreen:

Return to “DCC RPG Adventure Modules”