Courts of Chaos

There are over 50 DCC Adventures in print, including the main line (DCC #66.5 and up), the Holiday adventures, the Free RPG Day adventures, the new Horror line, and more! Suss them all out here!

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

jozxyqk
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Courts of Chaos

Post by jozxyqk »

Has anyone run this module? I'm going to try and do it as a one shot next week. Any tips? I'm curious how the whole "temptation" by the various member of the Host of Chaos will go, and would love to hear other people's experiences.

Thanks,
Rick
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: Gateway Games & More

Re: Courts of Chaos

Post by Rick »

I've run it & played it (not in that order) and I think it'll largely depend on your players. When I played through it the party stuck together & chiefly ignored the Court's offers. The only disharmony was deciding which non-Chaotic representative to give the Egg to (I was for the Lawful chick, the others went for the Neutral guy). Regardless, we pretty much earned the enmity of the whole Court of Chaos.

When I ran it, my players openly battled right there in the middle of the Court over what to do with the Egg. This was no surprise by then, upon first meeting the spy/agent of the forces of Law one party member "outed" her to the assembled Court & then stabbed her outright, to the horror of half the party.

The end result was the Egg was destroyed in the scuffle and everybody was pretty much distrustful of everybody.

That's probably not going to be all that useful to you, sorry. For tips I'd recommend that for the battle with their doppelgangers you choose the option of having the players run the "bad" guys, too (just don't let anyone run their own duplicate).

For the Creation challenge investing in a cheap can of Play-Doh is well worth it, in my experience (both times).
jozxyqk
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by jozxyqk »

Thanks Rick--that's actually incredibly useful. Any ideas for making the Court's offers more tempting to the party? I'm a little worried that my guys (like your group in the first game) will be highly skeptical of any offers from such chaotic beings and pretty much reject them out of hand, which will likely make the adventure less interesting. I feel like it would be a lot more fun if they actually thought that one or more of their number had been turned.

J
robinmotion
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by robinmotion »

Hiya,

I'm excited to run this adventure. I already have one PC who worships one of the Gods of Chaos listed in the Cleric section of the rules. What do folks think is the connection between the Courts and any gods in the setting? Are these supposed to be gods? Great powers? Something that predates the gods? I could incorporate that god into the courts, but then it seems like that player will be pretty much stuck helping his god and not having much real choice in the matter.

I was leaning toward the courts of Chaos and Law being ... well, beings that don't care about worship, really. Taken all together, they're more powerful than any one or even two gods, but they see gods the way we might see a professional athlete with no personality to speak of: impressive, sure, but kind of one-trick ponies, and really, we just have to get on with things and make a living, don't we?

I know I could also just say "Pantheons are weird!" kind of like how Marvel comics does it.
michaelcurtis
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by michaelcurtis »

I've always thought that the forces of Law, Chaos, and Balance are something entirely different from deities. These powers are like gravity: an essential part if the multiverse that keeps things working as intended. As such, they're not worshiped but some do forge pacts with them. The powers intervene on the behalf of those bonded to them, but in return expect those they aid to help advance the designs of Law, Chaos, or Balance as appropriate.

Or to put in other terms, gods are elected officials while the powers of Law, Chaos, and Balance are civil servants. The elected officials might come and go, but the civil servants keep the wheels of celestial bureaucracy turning. And as anyone who has ever dealt with civil servants knows, they have a remarkable amount of power in their own sphere of influence despite being almost entirely anonymous.
Scrivener of strange tales, part-time madman, and odd word aficionado.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

That's a very good answer, Mr. Curtis!
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.

Return to “DCC RPG Adventure Modules”