Traps and Appendix N

Appendix N is the literary wellspring of the DCC RPG. Discuss it here, along with related subjects: D&D history, pulp sci-fi/fantasy magazines, pre-genre literature, etc.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Traps and Appendix N

Post by mythfish »

We've talked about the sources for various spells, monsters, and classes, but what classic traps appear in Appendix N literature? Where do things like the poison needle and the spiked pit show up?

I really can't recall many traps in the stuff I've read, but I'm sure they must be there. Maybe I just haven't read the right books yet.
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]
dark cauliflower
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Re: Traps and Appendix N

Post by dark cauliflower »

There'z at least one Fahrd and G Mouser story where I swear there are "traps". Its the one where they go into the forest to reach a temple thing. They fight some guyz outside of it and then enter it. They meet some crazy old dude inside and he gets killed by the place. I think its the 'Jewels in the Forest' story.
Dark Cauliflower

--from deep night comes the cruciferiouz king!
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Re: Traps and Appendix N

Post by Raven_Crowking »

You need to read more Appendix N. You will find traps therein. The easiest place to start might be the World of Tiers series by Philip Jose Farmer, but you will find at least one poison needle trap in Conan as well. Pits are pretty common in the works of Edgar Rice Burroughs. Etc., etc.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.

Return to “Appendix N”