Appendix N type movies.

Appendix N is the literary wellspring of the DCC RPG. Discuss it here, along with related subjects: D&D history, pulp sci-fi/fantasy magazines, pre-genre literature, etc.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Blood Axe
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: The Portal

Re: Appendix N type movies.

Post by Blood Axe »

Bilgewriggler wrote:Two words: Lee Horsely.

I'll be sad if no one knows what I'm talking about!

I loved The Sword & the Sorcerer as a kid. I wonder if I can find it now.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
headspice
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by headspice »

Fantastic Planet, YES! I thought I'd be the only one to mention it. I've been thinking of creating stats for all the plants & creatures in that movie. Guess I ought to do it.

Hammer has a bunch of movies that should be on this list, but the #1 Appendix N film has got to be, Capt. Kronos: Vampire Slayer. I was a bit put off by the title when I 1st saw it mentioned on Raggi's blog, but it is Appendix N through and through.

Pan's Labyrinth also tops my list.

Others to mention:
Planet of the Ape films (original 5 only)
Zardoz
Rankin Bass' The Hobbit
Clint Eastwood's spaghetti Westerns, The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, etc.
Jodowrosky's El Topo, and Holy Mountain
Submit to NECROPANTSED, A Geek Grimoire of Frostbitten, Grim Musics and Forsaken Games Worshipped by Middle Aged Teens.
http://necropantspublishing.blogspot.com/
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

headspice wrote: Clint Eastwood's spaghetti Westerns, The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, etc.
I absolutely agree.
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
Bilgewriggler
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Bilgewriggler »

Blood Axe wrote:
Bilgewriggler wrote:Two words: Lee Horsely.

I'll be sad if no one knows what I'm talking about!

I loved The Sword & the Sorcerer as a kid. I wonder if I can find it now.
I own both the DVD and the soundtrack CD. Apparently Albert Pyun eventually got around to making a cheap-looking sequel ("Tales of an Ancient Empire") that also features Lee, but the reviews on Amazon are so bad that I can't see my way through to watch it.
Purple Planeteers:

Jingles Coinclink, Halfling, hag-hacked into haggis

Nurzual the Faceter – M Jwlr - Wiz - L
S 12 A 8 (-1) S 9 P 11 I 15 (+1) L 10
AC 9 HP 6 Mv 30 Init -1 Ref 0 Fort 0 Will 1
Chalk 1pc, 20 gp Gem, Backpack, 10’ chain, 10 sheets parchment, Kith pouch, small hammer, ray-gun, Rope 50', 5gp 10sp 274 cp
shortsword +0(1d6)
Ch Psn (no MM), Clr Spr 65, Force Manip 81, Rd Mag 12, Spidr Cl 69
Pl.Common (basic)

Snooth Inksplot Scribe RIP under cave-in, a crushing loss

Qort Quiddlegit M Hlr - Cler - N(C?)
S 11 temp 14 (+1) A 11 temp 14 (+1) S 6 (-1) P 5 (-2) I 6 (-1) L 5 (-2)
AC 10 temp 11 HP 8 Mov 30 Init 0 Ref t+1 Fort 0 Will -1
club +0 (1d4+1t) - hand mirror, holy wtr, wtrskin Kith drink 12 oz drunk, 31 cp
-2 Ms fire damage
Det Magic

Brandybland Shoetree F Coblr N
S 10 A 9 S 10 P 8 (-1) I 9 L 9
AC 14 HP 1 Mov 30 Init 0 Ref 0 Fort 0; Will -1
gldtr glaive +0 (1d10) - gldtr ch mail - Fe spike, shoehorn, 48 cp
Prof: dagger
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

I watched the latest version of Abelar: Tales of the "something simething". It was terrible. Apparently what's his face wasnt happy with it, but it got released anyway. Lee Horsely plays a cameo role in it, similar to his in The Sword and the Sorcerer, but not. It actually made me mad at how much crap it was. Don't bother, especially if you love The Sword and the Sorcerer like I do. I love that movie and think its amazing.

I want to mention another movie I just watched, the 2004 Van Helsing. Probably the worst 'big budget' adventure movie Ive seen. It starts off silly, had potential, then really goes down hill with the absurd action and atrocious accents and awful acting. I forced my way through it, almost fell asleep and got eyestrain from rolling my eyes. It's so bad, and I have my share of bad movies I love. It tried to make Van Helsing a Solomon Kane...

The newish Solomon Kane is awesome movie BTW, hope it gets released here soon. It's better than the new Conan movie.
Reverend Dakota Jesus Ultimak, S.S.M.o.t.S.M.S., D.M.

(Dungeon) Master In Chief of Crawl! fanzine. - http://www.crawlfanzine.com/

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons
Bilgewriggler
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Bilgewriggler »

reverenddak wrote:The newish Solomon Kane is awesome movie BTW, hope it gets released here soon. It's better than the new Conan movie.
Sad to hear about the S&S sequel. As a kid, I kept waiting and waiting for that movie to come out.

Solomon Kane looks pretty good from the trailer. "Better than the new Conan" isn't saying much IMO, though, as I kinda hated that flick. Why can't they get heroic fantasy right on the big screen?
Purple Planeteers:

Jingles Coinclink, Halfling, hag-hacked into haggis

Nurzual the Faceter – M Jwlr - Wiz - L
S 12 A 8 (-1) S 9 P 11 I 15 (+1) L 10
AC 9 HP 6 Mv 30 Init -1 Ref 0 Fort 0 Will 1
Chalk 1pc, 20 gp Gem, Backpack, 10’ chain, 10 sheets parchment, Kith pouch, small hammer, ray-gun, Rope 50', 5gp 10sp 274 cp
shortsword +0(1d6)
Ch Psn (no MM), Clr Spr 65, Force Manip 81, Rd Mag 12, Spidr Cl 69
Pl.Common (basic)

Snooth Inksplot Scribe RIP under cave-in, a crushing loss

Qort Quiddlegit M Hlr - Cler - N(C?)
S 11 temp 14 (+1) A 11 temp 14 (+1) S 6 (-1) P 5 (-2) I 6 (-1) L 5 (-2)
AC 10 temp 11 HP 8 Mov 30 Init 0 Ref t+1 Fort 0 Will -1
club +0 (1d4+1t) - hand mirror, holy wtr, wtrskin Kith drink 12 oz drunk, 31 cp
-2 Ms fire damage
Det Magic

Brandybland Shoetree F Coblr N
S 10 A 9 S 10 P 8 (-1) I 9 L 9
AC 14 HP 1 Mov 30 Init 0 Ref 0 Fort 0; Will -1
gldtr glaive +0 (1d10) - gldtr ch mail - Fe spike, shoehorn, 48 cp
Prof: dagger
sheriffharry
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by sheriffharry »

Apart from the final "boss" at the end of the movie (a bit too video game-ish for my taste), Solomon Kane is a great movie. Why wasn't it released in North America??
Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Karaptis »

Tales of an Ancient Empire...SUCKED!!! It so needed Richard Moll.
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

Watched Fantastic Planet yesterday afternoon... Good, it's really good. The setting would definitely make a really interesting DCC RPG campaign. The surreal flora & fauna designs made my jab drop, so awesome. The story is a bit slow, and the voice acting could have used a bit more talent (the one I watched had english voices.) But it's a post-apocalyptic fantasy tale, like Wizards, but totally different. I don't want to spoil it, but it's really interesting. Tattoo worthy art, like Wizards.

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons
Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Karaptis »

Great movie. I wish they would release the other movie that guy did with Moebius called Time Masters. Light Years is good too.
headspice
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by headspice »

Some info about Capt Kronos, nice article on Eccentric Cinema.

http://www.eccentric-cinema.com/cult_mo ... kronos.htm
Submit to NECROPANTSED, A Geek Grimoire of Frostbitten, Grim Musics and Forsaken Games Worshipped by Middle Aged Teens.
http://necropantspublishing.blogspot.com/
nerdwerds
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by nerdwerds »

onearmspence wrote:
reverenddak wrote:John Carter let me down pretty bad, I don't even want to talk about it. It's not as bad as the 2010 Conan, but it ain't good.
Yep… disappointing.
From what I've seen and heard, most people didn't like John Carter. Which I don't understand because as an adventure film in the Appendix N style it really works! It's not a very good adaptation, but then neither is Lord of the Rings and yet those movies are lavished with love and affection.

I think the Dark Crystal qualifies as Appendix N. There are still aspects of that movie that are completely mysterious and unexplained.

I would call the most recent Hulk movie, with Edward Norton, Appendix N given that the central theme is of the protagonist having an uncontrollable power that he is trying to tame and wield.

A couple others off the top of my head are The Secret of NIMH, Beastmaster, the Sword and the Sorcerer, and Starchaser: The Legend of Orin (look it up!)
"The Shamrock Shake is a frosty, minty symbol of all that we hold dear. It is shameful that we as a people cannot enjoy this proud, symbolic beverage any more than one week a year. Unless the British government loosens its iron grip on this most Irish of shakes, the streets will once again run red with English blood." - Gerry Adams, leader of Sinn Fein, the IRA's political wing.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Solomon Kane is one of my favorite Robert E Howard characters. Right up there with Conan.

I even bought the Savage Worlds RPG stuff for SK, and I don't much like the Savave Worlds RPG system. Actually, SK would be an awesome DCC setting.
reverenddak wrote:The newish Solomon Kane is awesome movie BTW, hope it gets released here soon. It's better than the new Conan movie.
I find it strange that they have this movie that many folks just loved but for some reason they won't sell it to folks in the States.
  • It never came to a theatre near me. Dunno if anyone got to see it, but not here.
  • I had a really hard time finding the movie tie-in book. I had heard that it wasn't as good as REH's writing, but for a tie-in book was really well done. I even tried to special order through a friend who owns a book store, and she couldn't find it on inventory anywhere. I did finally get a copy, and once have even seen one copy on a bookstore shelf.
  • Last I heard, the DVD copies aren't "Region 1" format. Maybe my info is out of date, but it's annoying that I can't even buy a DVD to work in my player.
If I didn't know better, I'd think that WotC owned the rights to the Solomon Kane movie. :lol:
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Kergalli
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Kergalli »

A US release of Soloman Kane is getting closer. From August 1st:
So this might be something interesting or nothing at all but as many of you now know, Solomon Kane is coming out in around 25 ‘key’ cities in the US when it’s released in late September. I don’t yet know if this number is locked or which key cities are being targeted but I suppose we can all take a guess at that.  But clearly however you slice it, that’s quite a limited release and all of us involved would love it to reach out further.  But only if there’s a demand.  So what the distributors asked me was if there any places in the US I’d really like Kane to play.  I’m planning to tour with the movie and beat the drum for some heroic fantasy but I don’t know the US well enough to really understand where Solomon Kane might be wanted or where it will play well enough to generate a worthwhile audience.

Nothing may come of this but if you folks out there who like the movie and are US-based could have a think about where could be worth considering then leave a message and I’ll talk to the distributors to see if I can bring the Kane to your town.
I saw the film about a year ago and enjoyed it for what it was. Worth watching for sure.
Vanguard
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Vanguard »

I was realizing this while reading Swords Against Death, but there has never really been a solid fantasy movie in the spirit of appendix N. Someone mentioned that it doesn't allow for heroes, but I don't think that explains it. I mean, we have plenty of movies with no clear heroes. I just think fantasy is not seen as a valid genre by a lot of the top people in the movie business. OR the book business for that matter.
My Gaming Blog: The Earthlight Academy
http://earthlightacademy.blogspot.com/
Skars
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Skars »

ravenspoe wrote:
Karaptis wrote:Nice call on Equinox! Has anyone seen the Corman films Deathstalker and Barbarian Queen? Not to mention Warrior and the Sorceress with the late David Carradine.

You are my hero for today!

Tales From the Fallen Empire has a huge Corman influence.
Double Hero, Warrior and the Sorceress is my favorite! 4 tits!~
Gizrond
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Gizrond »

Most of my games end up looking more like Monty Python's Quest for the Holy Grail than any other movie.

If you switched the setting of Dagon to a medieval fishing village instead of a modern one, it would be straight up Appendix N.
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

Saw Snow White and the Huntsman the other day, not bad. Much better than I expected, but not Good or Great either. Kristen Stewart, who plays Snow White, is terrible, almost non-existent until she dons some armor, and suddenly I found her compelling. I don't understand it. Thor, I mean the Huntsman is pretty bad too, where did he get that accent? BUT, the movie was worth watching for its pulpyness and the way they portray the Dark Forest is pretty interesting. It might not exactly be Appx N, but it's Pulp-Fantasy for sure.

reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

I wanted to share a couple asian action-adventure flix that will likely make you want to play,

The Warrior's Way and The Good, The Bad, The Weird. Both available on Netflix, they're fun, over-the-top action movies that are more Fantasy than Westerns, but as most people know Westerns are Pulp. Don't forget that "Westerns" are the same era as "Steam punk", just without the Goths discover Brown aesthetics, but the dirty wild west instead. Also check out Bunraku, same genre, different era, same ridiculous kind of action-adventure stuff that I loved from 80's, but with CGI.

Jason
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Jason »

Vanguard wrote:I was realizing this while reading Swords Against Death, but there has never really been a solid fantasy movie in the spirit of appendix N. Someone mentioned that it doesn't allow for heroes, but I don't think that explains it. I mean, we have plenty of movies with no clear heroes. I just think fantasy is not seen as a valid genre by a lot of the top people in the movie business. OR the book business for that matter.
This. I looked for the +1 button, but this ain't G+. :lol:
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

If you got Netflix Instant Play, two movies that are Appendix N in my book of movies are available (new, or now HD):

Battle Beyond The Stars: http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Battle_Bey ... s/60003922
Dragonslayer: http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Dragonslayer/60010301

cthulhudarren
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by cthulhudarren »

I'll probably get hated for this...

I maintain that the Harry Potter series is very Appendix N. The monsters are unique, the races are very different from traditional D&D, and magic is very different even if there are no "patrons" involved for the magic.
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

cthulhudarren wrote:I'll probably get hated for this...

I maintain that the Harry Potter series is very Appendix N. The monsters are unique, the races are very different from traditional D&D, and magic is very different even if there are no "patrons" involved for the magic.
Hahah, nah. Depends on what your definition of Appendix N is. Since a lot of the books were before the advent of TV, and the early days of movies, appendix N "movies" could mean anything that influences your "D&D" gaming.

My Appendix N movies are sometimes not even "fantasy" in the literal sense, but fantasies non-the-less. Star Wars is Appendix N to me.

Crimsontree
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Crimsontree »

The Evil Dead films are quite like some of my DCC sessions.
themightyeroc
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by themightyeroc »

Escape from New York
Lucio Fulci's Conquest 1983, this one is great! topless bronze masked Sorceress, beastmen, magic weapons etc.
Jack the giant killer 1962
Ah well, who wants to live forever? DIE!
worldoferoc.blogspot.com

Return to “Appendix N”