How do you handle Gods

A forum for DCC RPG judges. This forum covers adventure design, monsters, judges' advice, campaign building, and all other such things.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

jeffnichols112
Gongfarmer
FLGS: TCC

How do you handle Gods

Post by jeffnichols112 »

Hello, I am not a very experienced GM, but have been playing around making a campaign. I was wondering how do you handle God's? The beauty of DCC, or any Rpg game is that you can twist the rules. DCC allows more in that.

Anyways. I want to make an area that was founded by someone, and became a god, but the god is exclusive to that area. The area has many natural barriers and was used a fortification.

The primace of the game is someone learned the gods true name and gained control over him. He uses the gods power to soup up clerics etc.... The area has become a prison. Near by lands send their inmates and pay their ruler handsomely.

The want to encourage the party to start as common thugs, take over an established drug empire, and make there way up at crimelords.

Eventually they defeat the corrupt ruler, learn the name of the god, and the god is at their mercy. I want this to be an evil/neutral campaign, but it can easily go the other direction. They could liberate the land and free the god.

My current dm thinks God's will be too strong for for the name thing. I see it as kyptonite. Your thoughts
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Re: How do you handle Gods

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Gods are no stronger than you decide they are. They have whatever falabilities you decide they do.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: How do you handle Gods

Post by GnomeBoy »

jeffnichols112 wrote:My current dm thinks God's will be too strong for for the name thing. I see it as kyptonite. Your thoughts
If you want to avoid that particular issue, if it's causing 'disbelief' among those who may play in the game you devise, then simply make it a powerful Patron. Basically everything you describe could still apply, except it's not a "god", it's a powerful supernatural (but formerly mortal?) being.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham

Return to “Judges' Forum”