Adapting Aereth as my "homeworld" (house rules)

A forum for DCC RPG judges. This forum covers adventure design, monsters, judges' advice, campaign building, and all other such things.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Fenris Ulfhamr
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: -

Adapting Aereth as my "homeworld" (house rules)

Post by Fenris Ulfhamr »

So I have tread many a dungeon in my day, but now I've ran a few funnels I'm finally learnng to Crawl! I'm adapting my old 2nd Ed. campaigns from back in The Day to DCC, and making Aereth the new "homeworld" (all my PCs I consider to be from a common world, being outlanders in Golarion, Oerth, Azeroth, Tamrel, or wherever they find themselves). But I digress.

Here are a couple adaptations I'm considering for my Aereth, submitted for your approval/amusement/suggestions: :mrgreen:

1. Fate. I'm thinking to offset the high mortality rate in DCC a wee bit,granting a one-time +5 "Fate bonus" to LUCK to each player. This can be divided amongst characters or piled on one, applicable to the Lucky Roll only if applied at level 0. This represents the fate/destiny of the character, and the bonus s the amount of divine attention on him/her as a result. Of course, there must be a bit of a backstory for "fated" characters, as my storylines will be written more for them as the Powers That Be follow the would-be heroes....Hopefully this will help keep a favorite character alive a little longer!

2. The gods. Until I have a better handle on gods and patrons (and either more books or time to stat my own), I'm thinking of having the Powers That Be a bit distant and unapproachable- at least by the uninitiated peasants. Those printed in the book and those I write up will be the more well-known, persistent, and/or meddlesome beings. Where have gthe other gods gone?

3. Scythe I need more weapons! the scythe is a common medieval tool-turned-weapon, and looks cool! I statted t as a polearm (1d10 dmg) and gave it a +1d on both Crit and Fumble tables to represent the nastiness and clumsiness of the weapon...seem fair, or overpowered?

...more to come, so please share your thoughts f anythng stands out!
Last edited by Fenris Ulfhamr on Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Black Kylessa (c) LV 2 Wizard (orphan)
Str7/8 (-1) Agi17(+2) Sta9(0) Per6(-1) Int15(+1) Luc15(+1) AC13 (padded armor, fumble d8) HP7 Sling+2 (1d4-1) or dagger+/-1 (1d4-1) Spd30 Init+2 R+3 F0 W0 Ragdoll (Mara), Pony, 48cp 602gp Common, Chaos, Halfling, Dwarven
Animal Summoning 64 Wealful/Woeful magic (erupts from the earth),Charm Person 83 Blue Star (black beam), Runic Alphabet, Mortal 43 no change, Spider Climb 53 no change (six extra eyes),Magic Missle 94 Fine Control (meteors),Chill Touch 50 no change (skeletal hands)
Weisenwolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Re: Adapting Aereth as my "homeworld"

Post by Weisenwolf »

Fenris Ulfhamr wrote:
3. Scythe I need more weapons! the scythe is a common medieval tool-turned-weapon, and looks cool! I statted t as a polearm (1d10 dmg) and gave it a +1d on both Crit and Fumble tables to represent the nastiness and clumsiness of the weapon...seem fair, or overpowered?

...more to come, so please share your thoughts f anythng stands out!
A scythe is an unbelievably unwieldy tool to use as a weapon: the blade is on the inside making it very difficult to 'cut' with and the haft is shaped to 'cut' crops and grass at low level rather than objects higher up. There are also two 'grips' which get in the way if you try to 'grip' it in a different manner to what was intended. The best thing you can do with it is swing the toe (The pointy end) at your foe and hope he is so incredibly slow he fails to get out of the way in the intervening half a dozen seconds before your blow arrives :lol: . It is also unlikely to be as well made as a 'real' weapon; it may be iron rather than steel too. I would give it -1 die to hit (At lest) and on initiative and a no more than a D8 damage.

If you want an agricultural 'improvised' weapon how about a grain flail? that would be pretty easy to use: It's basically 2 lengths of wood with a link or hinge joining them together. You grab one length of wood in both hands and swing the other length at your opponent; nice and easy. You could also have a military version and a 'Hand flail' for one handed use. I give the grail flail a D6, the militarised 2 hander a D8 and the hand flail a D4 but in all cases they ignore shields (A feature to seperate them from the other blunt weapons) :wink:
Fenris Ulfhamr
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: -

Re: Adapting Aereth as my "homeworld"

Post by Fenris Ulfhamr »

Weisenwolf wrote: A scythe is an unbelievably unwieldy tool to use as a weapon.. I would give it -1 die to hit (At lest) and on initiative and a no more than a D8 damage.
I hear ya... I own a scythe, and they are unwieldy as hell, butif you land a hit..(hence the x4 crit mod in other games). Your damage and "to ht" assessments make sense- thank you!

Black Kylessa (c) LV 2 Wizard (orphan)
Str7/8 (-1) Agi17(+2) Sta9(0) Per6(-1) Int15(+1) Luc15(+1) AC13 (padded armor, fumble d8) HP7 Sling+2 (1d4-1) or dagger+/-1 (1d4-1) Spd30 Init+2 R+3 F0 W0 Ragdoll (Mara), Pony, 48cp 602gp Common, Chaos, Halfling, Dwarven
Animal Summoning 64 Wealful/Woeful magic (erupts from the earth),Charm Person 83 Blue Star (black beam), Runic Alphabet, Mortal 43 no change, Spider Climb 53 no change (six extra eyes),Magic Missle 94 Fine Control (meteors),Chill Touch 50 no change (skeletal hands)
Weisenwolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Re: Adapting Aereth as my "homeworld" (house rules)

Post by Weisenwolf »

I certainly wouldn't want to get hit by one!

Return to “Judges' Forum”