Patrons and Gifts - looking for inspiration

Discussion of all things magical for DCC RPG -- "Let the Phlogiston take you where it will..."

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

sabreredleg
Gongfarmer

Patrons and Gifts - looking for inspiration

Post by sabreredleg »

In my game I have a wizard player who is about to cast the Patron Bond spell. I believe he's planning to spellburn for 19 or 20 to maximize his effect. The Patron Bond spell indicates that the new patron expects a counter-gift in exchange for the new power he grants to the wizard. My thought was that whatever spellburn the wizard spent casting the patron bond spell wouldn't be recovered until the wizard gave the patron a suitable gift in return. I'm looking for suggestions for appropriate gifts. The patron will be Hhaaashh-Lusss, from Angels, Demons, and Beings Between. The player suggested sacrificing "the color of his eyes", but that doesn't seem very significant to me. It seems more appropriate to send the player on a quest. I'm having trouble coming up with anything compelling right now though. This patron is described as hating mammals, but otherwise doesn't have much of an agenda. So I'm looking for inspiration. Ideas are appreciated.

The wizard in question is currently 2nd level, and the party is gearing up to tackle the Emerald Enchanter, although they could stand to level up a few other party members first, so sending them elsewhere isn't a bad thing.
cjoepar
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Re: Patrons and Gifts - looking for inspiration

Post by cjoepar »

How about sending them to desecrate someplace holy to a rival? If he hates mammals, maybe it's a temple to a Rat-God or a druid's grove. This will also generate a future adventure hook (or many of them) when followers of that rival track the party down and attack them in a pub, an alley or as they are coming out of a dungeon licking their wounds and laden down with treasure.

You can also let the wizard hear rumors of a witch on the edge of the forest who has a magic crystal ball. The crystal ball would be very nice to keep, but also would be suitable as a sacrifice.

Maybe there is a champion who insulted the Patron somehow. His head might make a nice gift.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Hhaaashh-Lusss?

What does the colour of your eyes do to feed the Hungry One? There is a village in the Great Swamp where men hunt alligators for their leather and their meat. Deliver to Hhaaashh-Lusss this village, by feeding it to his children. That's right - kill them and leave them out for the alligators. And, perhaps, leave one or two still living that Hhaaashh-Lusss may savour the taste of their fear.

(And then, when this is done, include a glimpse of something truly monstrous - is it just an enormous alligator or Hhaaashh-Lusss himself come to feed? If the PCs stick around to find out, they too might become victims of the Hungry One and his children, for Hhaaashh-Lusss barely discerns one mammal from another when he hungers.)
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Blood Axe
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: The Portal

Post by Blood Axe »

I like it. It shows you cant deal with such evil powers and still keep your hands clean. They corrupt you.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
sabreredleg
Gongfarmer

Post by sabreredleg »

Raven_Crowking wrote: There is a village in the Great Swamp where men hunt alligators for their leather and their meat. Deliver to Hhaaashh-Lusss this village, by feeding it to his children. That's right - kill them and leave them out for the alligators. And, perhaps, leave one or two still living that Hhaaashh-Lusss may savour the taste of their fear.
This is good. I also read Doom of the Savage Kings last night and was thinking that the Black orb would make a good gift. I think I'll present both options to the player and let him decide what to do.

Return to “Magic and Spells”