Cleric of Cthulhu? Turn Unholy?

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

not-so-newguy
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Heretic Games in San Bruno, Ca.

Cleric of Cthulhu? Turn Unholy?

Post by not-so-newguy »

Hello!
New Judge here with a new group of players. So one of the players has thrown me a curveball before even reaching 1st level, he wants to be a Cleric of Cthulhu. I understand that there are folks of the opinion who think that Cthulhu wouldn't have a Cleric. While I think this is reasonable, I'd really like to accommodate the player because I think it would be interesting and I'm curious to see how this plays out.

My question is what creatures would a Cleric of Cthulhu deem Unholy?

Also if you have any experience with this, please share! One idea that I like is that anybody who is healed by the Cleric will be haunted with disturbing dreams of Cthulhu on their next rest.
BanjoJohn
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
FLGS: there are a few but I dont really consider any of them as my main flgs

Re: Cleric of Cthulhu? Turn Unholy?

Post by BanjoJohn »

Page 32 of the rulebook. "Gods of the eternal struggle" This page lists the differences between chaotic, neutral, and lawful clerics, it also lists Cthulhu as a god that can be chosen by Neutral clerics.
not-so-newguy
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Heretic Games in San Bruno, Ca.

Post by not-so-newguy »

Someone shared this on another forum and I figured that someone else might be able to use it :

"Clerics of the Known Realms"

It's a free PDF that fleshed out other Deities found in the DCC core rulebook.
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

not-so-newguy wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:26 am So one of the players has thrown me a curveball before even reaching 1st level, he wants to be a Cleric of Cthulhu.
I don't see why it is a curveball.
not-so-newguy wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:26 amI understand that there are folks of the opinion who think that Cthulhu wouldn't have a Cleric.
Why should Cthulhu have a cleric? Cleric, cultist, it's all the same. Heck, Cthulhu itself is called the High Priest of the Old Ones.
not-so-newguy wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:26 amWhile I think this is reasonable, I'd really like to accommodate the player because I think it would be interesting and I'm curious to see how this plays out.
That's the spirit!
not-so-newguy wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:26 amMy question is what creatures would a Cleric of Cthulhu deem Unholy?
When I can't find something fitting to turn for a god, I reverse the ability to control something in their domain. The zombie amazon priestess of Cthulhu (long story) we had in my old campaign could control eldritch abominations if my memory serves me right.
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

I think what a Cleric of Cthulhu could turn would be natural animals and any demons/devils that aren't part of the Mythos. Those spring immediately to mind... Perhaps other "mythological" creatures would be a good fit, too -- like, a unicorn or a griffon, a minotaur, things like that from other mythological sources...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham

Return to “Rules discussion”