Death Checks - Halflings and Thieves

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Carrot
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Scenic City Game Emporium

Death Checks - Halflings and Thieves

Post by Carrot »

A couple of sessions back, I had already decided that the halfling cant lend luck to others for the purpose of a death check (rolling the body).

I then also decided that I would let the Thief spend 1 luck to get a luck die roll to add to his luck score for the purposes of a luck check. It was inferred that the Halfling couldn't burn luck to add 2 luck points for the purposes of the roll.

Last session, queue the halfling dying. I denied the luck burn, but am now rethinking this ruling a little.

I'm curious about how others handle this.
BanjoJohn
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
FLGS: there are a few but I dont really consider any of them as my main flgs

Re: Death Checks - Halflings and Thieves

Post by BanjoJohn »

I run it that a halfling can burn luck to add or subtract 2 points from any dice they roll for their character, 1 point for dice rolled by other characters.
And that the thief luck die can be rolled to add or subtract from any dice rolled by the thief.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

I'll allow Luck to be burnt as normal, and even for Luck checks. The target number is set before the roll; if someone wants to burn to hit that number after the roll, that's works.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

I let Halflings burn Luck at a 1-point-for-2 ratio, and the Lucky Halfling can do this for anyone. Roll under Luck means that, if you spend Luck, you change the number needed, but the Halfling 2-for-1 and the Thief Luck Die can get around this. Fleeting Luck can be spent on any part member, and can also get around this.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Carrot
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Scenic City Game Emporium

Post by Carrot »

Thanks everyone. I was feeling like I was maybe over doing the old school judging there a bit!

Return to “Rules discussion”