assisting skill checks

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Aggamemnon
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Whyte Knight

assisting skill checks

Post by Aggamemnon »

Hey, I am probably just missing this, but what do you do if people assist a skill or ability check?

quick example, a door has a DC check of 25 to break, and no one character has enough to get that (except with a nat 20?) so two guys try? how do you handle that?

I think I would add +2 for each additional character helping, plus their associated bonus (within reason, ie: more people may not help an agility check or there is only room for two people in the doorway, etc) but wanted to know if there was an official rule? I want to paint within the lines, at least at first...

me
CapnZapp
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
FLGS: Book

Re: assisting skill checks

Post by CapnZapp »

Since DCC is built using the d20 license, when in doubt revert to the d20 rule when DCC is silent on a particular matter.

Which, in this case, is pretty much exactly what you are suggesting (skipping the boring bit where the aiding character needs to roll a 10 on his skill check):
https://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/using ... aidAnother
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: assisting skill checks

Post by GnomeBoy »

Rulings, not rules, is part of the game, and definitely applies to this sort of situation. The nature of the door is relevant to the way I run things -- no one mechanical solution can sensibly cover all possible doors.

Your +2 base is a good start. You can also use the Dice Chain*, which makes good sense (1 person pushes the Die up to a d24, two to a d30, more than that can't put their shoulder into a normal door, etc.).

There's also not asking for a roll unless failure is relevant somehow, i.e., the party is being chased or something else where "how long it takes" to get through the door is relevant. Otherwise, they succeed without a roll, because eventually one way or another they can get it open.

Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham

Return to “Rules discussion”