Magic Question

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Aggamemnon
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Whyte Knight

Magic Question

Post by Aggamemnon »

ok, sorry in advance if this has been asked already. I am just starting and worried I am missing things.

so, how does (mechanically) magic work? lets look at wizards:

So Olaf the wizard pops out of the funnel, level 1, there is a montage, 80s synth music, rocking time, and he learns his 4 spells (with mercurial, etc etc). for arguments sake, those spells are Earth, Wind, Water, Fire. does he just KNOW those spells? wakes up in the morning, pops a brewski, and has 4 spells? until he screws up, fails a spell check, then he cannot cast that spell anymore that day. I take that to be until he sleeps. but Until that, ping ping ping, just fire away? rinse repeat, wipe hands on pants?

and basically, he cannot swap out these spells later? even if he kills the rookie, takes his grimoire, he is stuck with those 4 spells? (unless he leaves a slot open, hoping later to find one? then he has three spells? until he adds one?

I am sorry I did not format this very clearly, but I have read the book (well, up to around page 126, so far) and it is kind of bugging me, is this vancian? or spell slot?

Thanks in advance for any and all answers (lotta 'A's there)
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: Magic Question

Post by GnomeBoy »

The most basic answer is: Yes, exactly.

Additional mechanical nuance:

• DCC was made to be hacked into the game you want to play. As such, others have allowed the Wizard to know more than 4 spells at 1st level (perhaps only if they can find them), but for any given adventure, they just have the 4. So it's easier to maintain spells than trad D&D, but harder to switch out spells than trad D&D.

• One beating heart of the game is the "Quest for It" concept of character design, i.e., instead of a plethora of Class options in the book, your character actively seeks out who they want to become by exploring the world. The character evolves through play, not game mechanical choices. So if they want to swap out spells or find a particular sort of spell, they can search the worldwide for it. Or maybe they want to enhance their physicality so they can spellburn MORE to become a truly feared sorcerer... Quest for it. Makes for great plot hooks for the Judge, and gives characters a reason to do what they do.

Additional flavor nuance:

• They may not just *PING* suddenly know the spells. The most common way it gets treated is that they are assumed to have been working on them for awhile, and either discoveries during the funnel or just the traumatic experience of the funnel itself have made things click. Some assume there is a length of time in the weeks or more after the funnel in which wizards become wizards. Other narrative options are possible.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Aggamemnon
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Whyte Knight

Post by Aggamemnon »

ok, awesome. Thanks!

it is funny, because it is hard to fit in more info, if you are stuck at a basic point.

and I meant Ping, he magic-missiles a dude, then next round Ping! does it again, etc until he fails. I am thinking I will just let them learn the spells, if we are going to play immediately, so that we can get started. I live in the middle of nowhere, so I want to maximize the time I have

Thanks again! I will likely pop back in if I have more questions

A
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

I think our pings were pinging different pings - er, things! :wink:
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham

Return to “Rules discussion”