Wizard/Elf Wants a Lower Spell Result

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

FSH Professional Ltd
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: The Realm, Mansfield OH

Wizard/Elf Wants a Lower Spell Result

Post by FSH Professional Ltd »

I am sometimes confronted with the request for a magic user to choose a lower spell result. This more often than not happens when the character casts a Force Manipulation spell. They desire to get the 12-13 result to create a ball of force to be used in combat but, unfortunately(?) get a higher result and conjure up a floating disc that is not very useful in combat.

The reasoning I hear is if a magic user has the intelligence, skill, and luck to create a great magic effect, they most certainly can succeed with a lesser effect.

At this time I am NOT allowing it based upon the assumption that in the DCC realm, magic is quirky, unreliable, and sometimes arbitrary and a magic user should subscribe to "Let the Buyer Beware" when learning spells.

Any advice? Is there a paragraph in the rules I am obviously overlooking?

Thanks,
~ Stu
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: Wizard/Elf Wants a Lower Spell Result

Post by GnomeBoy »

I believe there are multiple references to magic being difficult and dangerous. Many other games treat magical casting as a science that's been perfected. DCC treats it as something that can never be fully understood and every interaction as potentially more harmful to the caster than whatever they are facing...

Some spells specifically point out that you can choose a lower level of result -- those that do not point that out are not meant to be manipulated in that way.

You could rule that burning Luck to lower the result to a desired effect is an option, since improving a result is what Luck is for...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
BanjoJohn
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
FLGS: there are a few but I dont really consider any of them as my main flgs

Post by BanjoJohn »

Some spells specifically say that you can choose a lower result. Ekim's Mystical Mask is one example. In the "General" information it says "the wizard may choose to invoke an effect of lesser power than his spell check roll to produce a weaker but potentially more useful result" I see that it also says this in the "Force Manipulation" in the section "general"

For spells that don't say it, it would be up to you to decide, but it might be good form to not allow it unless some special condition is applied.

However, to your original question "force manipulation" DOES allow the caster to choose a lesser result.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

BanjoJohn wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:24 am Some spells specifically say that you can choose a lower result. Ekim's Mystical Mask is one example. In the "General" information it says "the wizard may choose to invoke an effect of lesser power than his spell check roll to produce a weaker but potentially more useful result" I see that it also says this in the "Force Manipulation" in the section "general"

For spells that don't say it, it would be up to you to decide, but it might be good form to not allow it unless some special condition is applied.

However, to your original question "force manipulation" DOES allow the caster to choose a lesser result.
+2d24
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
FSH Professional Ltd
Ill-Fated Peasant

Look like I failed to apply the RTFB (Read the Freakin' Book) Principle. The consequences of using an app to determine spell results.

However, I do like the idea of using spellburn to choose desired results if the spell doesn't explicitly say you can choose a lower result.
~ Stu
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

FSH Professional Ltd wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:57 am ...I do like the idea of using spellburn to choose desired results...
BTB, Spellburn happens only before the roll is made. But Luck can be burned before or after... :wink:
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
FSH Professional Ltd
Ill-Fated Peasant

Yep. Understand.
~ Stu

Return to “Rules discussion”