Mighty Deeds: Defensive Maneuvers Hack

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Vanguard
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Mighty Deeds: Defensive Maneuvers Hack

Post by Vanguard »

For my next campaign, I'm thinking of modifying how Mighty Deeds work when using them defensively. The idea would be that the Warrior declares they are taking a Defensive stance during their turn and then, when an enemy takes their action, they can declare their deed. Additionally, they can intervene in a similar way out of initiative order to take make a Defensive Deed (similar to spell duels).

Rather than rolling against AC, the Warrior rolls against their opponents attack roll. Examples below:

Parry: can only be used when they are the primary target. The warrior blocks incoming attacks

Protect: used to shield other characters from harm. Margin of success determines how much is absorbed.

Thoughts?
My Gaming Blog: The Earthlight Academy
http://earthlightacademy.blogspot.com/
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: Mighty Deeds: Defensive Maneuvers Hack

Post by GnomeBoy »

I go simpler than that even and don't use the "proscribed" Deeds from the book.

Want to better defend yourself? Your Deed adds to you AC for a round (I've done this as the total of the Deed Die, i.e. 3+).

Want to defend an ally? Your Deed adds it's number (as above) to someone else's AC, and you can subtract from your own AC to add more if you want to... If more than one ally is being defended, the Warrior can divide their "AC bonus" between those allies.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Defending yourself always works; Deed Die adds to AC until your next turn, but doesn't modify attacks or damage.

Deed to defend another results in Deed Die -2 to AC, but Deed Die adds to attack rolls and damage as normal.

Deed to allow another to disengage without suffering a free attack is a normal Deed. For a tough opponent, or one with reach, lower successes might modify the die used for the attack.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Marzio Muscedere
Far-Sighted Wanderer
Location: A land of sorcery and nameless horror deep in Southern Canada

Post by Marzio Muscedere »

You can find the Defensive Fighting Deed in Steel & Fury https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/14 ... d-Fury-DCC
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Raven_Crowking wrote:Deed to allow another to disengage without suffering a free attack is a normal Deed. For a tough opponent, or one with reach, lower successes might modify the die used for the attack.
Excellent variant. Haven't had a player try that one yet, but I'll try to remember to throw it out there...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

GnomeBoy wrote:
Raven_Crowking wrote:Deed to allow another to disengage without suffering a free attack is a normal Deed. For a tough opponent, or one with reach, lower successes might modify the die used for the attack.
Excellent variant. Haven't had a player try that one yet, but I'll try to remember to throw it out there...
It came up when I ran Death Frost Doom the first time.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
herecomethejudge
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by herecomethejudge »

Marzio Muscedere wrote:You can find the Defensive Fighting Deed in Steel & Fury https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/14 ... d-Fury-DCC
I highly recommend Steel and Fury. We use it 99% of the time, just as a standard part of play.
Marzio Muscedere
Far-Sighted Wanderer
Location: A land of sorcery and nameless horror deep in Southern Canada

Post by Marzio Muscedere »

herecomethejudge wrote:
Marzio Muscedere wrote:You can find the Defensive Fighting Deed in Steel & Fury https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/14 ... d-Fury-DCC
I highly recommend Steel and Fury. We use it 99% of the time, just as a standard part of play.
Thanks! I am glad your group enjoys the book...
herecomethejudge
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by herecomethejudge »

Marzio Muscedere wrote:
herecomethejudge wrote:
Definitely. If I could glue it into Chapter 4 of the Core Rules, just like the spell tables in Chapter 5, I would.
Bobjester
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
FLGS: Looking for one that doesn't withhold games from customers.

Post by Bobjester »

Raven_Crowking wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:58 pm Defending yourself always works; Deed Die adds to AC until your next turn, but doesn't modify attacks or damage.

Deed to defend another results in Deed Die -2 to AC, but Deed Die adds to attack rolls and damage as normal.

Deed to allow another to disengage without suffering a free attack is a normal Deed. For a tough opponent, or one with reach, lower successes might modify the die used for the attack.
I hadn't thought of using this defensive maneuver deed without using it as a deed, but I love the idea!
herecomethejudge wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:15 am
Marzio Muscedere wrote:
herecomethejudge wrote: I highly recommend Steel and Fury. We use it 99% of the time, just as a standard part of play.
Definitely. If I could glue it into Chapter 4 of the Core Rules, just like the spell tables in Chapter 5, I would.
I love Steel & Fury! It's a great addition to our DCC games.

Currently, my group and I are still learning the rules, (having only played a handful of sessions since we started last summer with Beneath the Well of Brass, and 3 more sessions since then in Temple Siege and Sailors on the Starless Sea) so I am encouraging my players with warriors to use Mighty Deeds more often, but when the dice fail repeatedly, it is difficult to get them to keep trying.

Deeds are such a unique mechanic for warriors and dwarves that allows for some great ad-libbed effects in combats that would otherwise be much less thrilling. One player asked me to convert the Bloodrager barbarian class to DCC (from a 3rd party 5e book "Mordenkainen's Codex of Allies"), but I compromised with a "Bloodrager Deed" based on Marzio's Relentless Fury/Rage Deed.

It is mostly theatric (the bathing in the blood of enemies bit), but when a good result is rolled on the Deed, the "Blood" die adds an additional die 1 step larger than the deed die used to add a variety of options: extra hit points, additional damage, bonus to attack, or spend it to extend rage for an additional round.
“The wounds received in battle bestow honor, they do not take it away...”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote

Return to “Rules discussion”