"recovering the body"

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Monster
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: "recovering the body"

Post by Monster »

I like the option to recover the body.
To that creature, you are the monsters hunting it!
Noun mon·ster/mɒnstər/Show Spell[mon-ster]
1. a legendary animal combining features of animal and human form or having the forms of various animals in combination, as a centaur, griffin, or sphinx.
2. any creature so ugly or monstrous as to frighten people.
3. any animal or human grotesquely deviating from the normal shape, behavior, or character.
4. a person who excites horror by wickedness, cruelty, etc.
5. any animal or thing huge in size.
6. any small, unattended children running free
Jim Skach
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Jim Skach »

I thought I had posted this here...but I was remiss in doing so....
Raven_Crowking wrote:You could always take a page from the rules, open the next session with the same characters in Hell
This got me thinking about a table...
Monster
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Monster »

I think the rule is fine as is, considering how many people get killed.
To that creature, you are the monsters hunting it!
Noun mon·ster/mɒnstər/Show Spell[mon-ster]
1. a legendary animal combining features of animal and human form or having the forms of various animals in combination, as a centaur, griffin, or sphinx.
2. any creature so ugly or monstrous as to frighten people.
3. any animal or human grotesquely deviating from the normal shape, behavior, or character.
4. a person who excites horror by wickedness, cruelty, etc.
5. any animal or thing huge in size.
6. any small, unattended children running free
Daedalus0969
Gongfarmer
FLGS: Uncle's Games, Around the Table Game Pub

Post by Daedalus0969 »

I have a question about this. It only works for Level 1 and higher characters, correct?
On page 93 of the core rule book, it states: "A 0-level character that reaches 0 hit points is irrevocably killed..."
Irrevocably -in a way that cannot be changed, reversed, or recovered
So, Recovering the Body is not an option for level 0.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Correct.

Zero-level play is a slightly different game, because it's representing a different experience...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
CapnZapp
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
FLGS: Book

Post by CapnZapp »

larsdangly wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:01 pm The rules for death on p. 93 specify that if you come to the body of a fallen comrad who has officially died (reached 0 HP and failed to be healed for more rounds than their level), they can attempt a Luck save to actually be alive but badly hurt. That's cool; any sword and sorcery campaign should often have this sort of thing happen to its protagonists. But, it seems odd to apply this rule only when player characters are recovering a comrad's body (as seems to be implied). Surely, the character was alive before his friends rolled him over. And, he would have still been alive if an NPC had rolled him over. Or, like aragorn in the Two Towers movie, if his horse had poked him in the eye. So, it seems to me this rule should apply any time a non-0 level character 'dies' in some way that could have been survived (i.e., not including decapitation, boiling in acid, etc.). Thoughts?
I'm really trying but can't understand what question you're asking.

Possible answers:
- this only applies to hero characters. NPCs generally die at 0 hp unless the Judge says otherwise. Level 0 player characters ALSO die at 0 hp unless the Judge says otherwise (but I would advise against it).
- normally someone must find the body. I think the rules assume that if you're left to your own devices, you will not survive. But if the Judge says you get a chance to wake up and recover on your own, that of course happens.
- no actual "rolling over" is needed. No matter how the body is found, assuming it is taken care of the fallen PC gets their Luck check.
- it doesn't matter who finds you, as long as they take reasonable care of you
CapnZapp
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by CapnZapp »

Konig wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:46 pm A question about how to check luck for rolling over the body came up today. It seems that the beta rules say this is a Luck test versus DC 10, but the final rules just say "Luck check" which is roll under Luck on a d20. This is an important difference in that a character making a test with low luck still gets a decent chance, but roll-under for that same character could be very hard.

Which is it?
A Luck Check. Note that this is rolling equal to or less than the character’s Luck score on 1d20. Not just roll under. Equal or under.

Don't forget that just like low-Luck characters are penalized, high-Luck characters are favorized. So it evens out.

Plus, in the long run you're probably better off seeing your Luck 4 character die - in any longer campaign, characters with a negative Luck modifier tend to get weeded out, so it's probably best to just get it over with, and once you generate a Luck 9+, invest in that character instead. :P

In the end, your high-Luck characters is going to thank your Judge for sticking with the core Luck Check rule instead of using a DC! 8)
CapnZapp
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by CapnZapp »

TheNobleDrake wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:39 pm not one of the PCs could pass their save because the critical rules for spells (add caster level into the result again) and the rule that saves against spells are always at the check result of the caster do not really mix well in practice.
My spellcaster players LOVE this rule, since anytime they roll decently, the enemy is asked to make a DC 18 or DC 22 or DC 26 save. Which of course means they always fail.

The flip side of this coin is that true NPC spellcasters are FEARSOME.

By "true" spellcasters I mean NPCs that actually use the rules for spells, instead of giving "monster powers" that resemble magical effects.

Any NPC caster needs to be treated with extreme caution and terminated with extreme prejudice. Doesn't matter if it knows only a single level 1 spell - anytime it gets to cast even once, the whole party could be toast instantly.

The only way to play DCC is to learn to love this*, and then play regular D&D when it gets too much :)

* A good GM quickly learns to have the vast majority of spellcasting monsters use "monster powers" and reserve actual spells for only the top antagonists of the scenario**!

** that's actually not really true. Spells vary wildly in power in this game. Spells that can't target more people at higher spell check results are basically crap, unless the effect is utility, buffing or truly amazing. Any spell where you get to affect more and more people with higher results is on the other hand likely to insta-win any encounter where you roll above 15 or so.
BaophraT
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
FLGS: Rann sevenadurel ti Leclerc Kemper (a-barzh 2023)

Post by BaophraT »

Gameogre wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:56 am I home ruled it to this. Make a only luck modified roll against DC 12.

First of all Players HATE to roll a nat 20 to save there characters and fail.
For my part, I simply decided to always consider a natural 20 as an automatic success and a natural 1 as an automatic failure, even in the case where the character has to roll under his Luck score. (like in the French game Nightprowler). This procedure prevents the frustration of dying after a natural 20...
Ar gwir c'hoarierien a daol diñsoù !
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

baophrat wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:50 pm ...I simply decided to always consider a natural 20 as an automatic success and a natural 1 as an automatic failure, even in the case where the character has to roll under his Luck score. (like in the French game Nightprowler). This procedure prevents the frustration of dying after a natural 20...
I've done this as well. Keeps the 'magic' or rolling a nat 20 or nat 1 in place!

I have forgotten to explain that quirky houserule at times in a one-shot/convention context, and so I don't impose it halfway through, just to keep things less confusing for the players.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham

Return to “Rules discussion”