Run ! Movement & Run ?

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

BaophraT
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
FLGS: Rann sevenadurel ti Leclerc Kemper (a-barzh 2023)

Run ! Movement & Run ?

Post by BaophraT »

Hello,

How to manage the movement of the characters when they run ? During a combat round, can a character decide to run, and thus use all of his actions for that ? Should we double the movement speeds in this case ? I'm asking this because I'm preparing a module where it will be useful !

Thanks for your advices !
Ar gwir c'hoarierien a daol diñsoù !
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Re: Run ! Movement & Run ?

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Page 77: "All characters can take another movement for their actions."
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
BaophraT
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by BaophraT »

Yes, I know this but devoting a extra action to movement isn't really running, is it ? To simulate a race, a flight for example.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

(1) In regular combat round action I allow move-move to replace move-action, where action could be fight or something else. To me, that would represent running, since the character is focusing all attention on movement.

(2) If I wanted to simulate a race I would throw some randomness into the thing. Start with regular movement rate and add in a die roll. One thing that just popped into my head is that you could give +d3 feet to the slowest, +d4 to the next, and so on so that the fastest gets best dice. Gauge the term "fastest" and "slowest" based on the Agility stat. Depending on the length of the race you might force a roll each half-move instead of each move (e.g. if they are running 100 feet then it might be better to have a speed=30 character roll each 15 feet so that it takes 7 rolls to win instead of 4.).
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

baophrat wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:39 am Yes, I know this but devoting a extra action to movement isn't really running, is it ? To simulate a race, a flight for example.
Have you seen The Fence's Fortuitous Folly for DCC Lankhmar?
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
BaophraT
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by BaophraT »

Thank you very much for your responses. I have not seen the Fence's Fortuitous Folly for Lankhmar yet. Is it included in the Lankhmar box ?

Have a nice day !
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

baophrat wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:51 pm Thank you very much for your responses. I have not seen the Fence's Fortuitous Folly for Lankhmar yet. Is it included in the Lankhmar box ?

Have a nice day !
Not in the box; sorry. The adventure includes a chase scene where normal rules are eschewed for what (to my mind when I wrote it, and seemingly the case in playtests & actual play) would be a fun chase experience. It includes rolls, stakes, and making choices over the course of the chase.
SoBH pbp:

BaophraT
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by BaophraT »

Ok, I'll add this to my wish list ! Thks
BaophraT
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by BaophraT »

I just bought the PDF version of this module ! Although I love Lankhmar (I own the basic DCC box), I have never played in this universe (preferring to slowly detail my little universe - the Gollewin barony - with the modules). That said, it's been several times that I'm confronted with simulations of chases without managing them in a satisfactory way... The end of the last module played by my group "Intrigue in the Court of Chaos" ended with a chase that would have deserved to be better supervised... I can't wait to discover the rules on this point contained in "The Fence's Fortuitous Folly" !

Return to “Rules discussion”