What are your top 10 DCC third-party products?

DCC has inspired many folks to produce their own supplements and adventures for the game. This is the place for discussion of all 3PP products for DCC RPG.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

quozl
Wild-Eyed Zealot

What are your top 10 DCC third-party products?

Post by quozl »

I'm brand new to DCC and planning on starting a campaign in April when I get the book from the Kickstarter. Looking at all the third party products out there, I'm wondering what are your top 10.
Chuck Korsin: Woodcutter. Str 14 (+1), Agi 10 (0), Sta 17 (+2), Per 15 (+1), Int 9 (0), Luc 9 (0), AC: 10; HP: 3; Weapon: Handaxe +1 (1d6+1), Speed: 30; Init: 0; Ref: 0; Fort: 2; Will: 1, Holy water (1 vial) (25 gp), Bundle of wood, 37 cp, Crowbar, Sack (large)

Barnum Bailey: Animal trainer. RIP Weapon: Club (1d4), Waterskin (5 sp), 30 cp
Gene Yusmore: Cooper. RIP Torch (1 cp), Barrel, 33 cp
Tellessa Storie: Elven barrister. RIP Weapon: Quill (as dart) (1d4), Book, 33 cp
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Re: What are your top 10 DCC third-party products?

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Not counting anything I wrote ('cause it's tacky to do so), I would recommend (in no particular order):

Alternate Occupations
Carnival of the DamnedCrawl! fanzine #1
Crawl! fanzine #2
Crawl! fanzine #11
Metal Gods of Ur-Hadad #2
Sunken City Omnibus
The Haunting of Larvik Island
The Treasure Vaults of Zadabad
The Wizardarium of Calabraxis

These were picked on the basis of utility to the average DCC campaign. And I might have different selections if you asked me tomorrow.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

To be tacky, in no particular order, stuff I wrote for 3pp that I am particularly happy with:

Appendix N Adventures Add-Ons #1 (in particular Gifts of the Only and A Lesson From Turtles)
Crawl! fanzine #9 (The Arwich Grinder)
FT 0: Prince Charming, Reanimator
FT 1: Creeping Beauties of the Wood
FT 2.1: Three Nights in Portsmouth
FT 2: The Portsmouth Mermaid
HT 1: The Perils of Cinder Claws
Silent Nightfall
The Falcate Idol
The Stars are Falling (I wrote 3/5ths of the adventures therein)
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
xmiyux
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Lost Legion: The Vault

Post by xmiyux »

I am a collector so have bought more than I could ever play.

But I want to echo some of what was said.

Carnival of the Damned - this is an amazing adventure imo. It could be treated as a series of encounters. It can be run as a long adventure with a shockingly engaging story (shocking in that the theme belies the fact the story has all the feels). It is just killer and one of my top picks right now.

Prince Charming, Reanimator - I hadn't realized Crowking was the Daniel Bishop who wrote this adventure. When he posted above - he is being humble. The adventure is sharp. It has enough references to classic fairy tales that I feel like it is the perfect hook for a new gamers and young gamers. I love Appendix N stuff, but often the references are lost on players who aren't into the culture. This remedies that by giving those little light bulb moments of recognizing the tale and then pulling the rug out from under them with a twist. Heck, the Faerie Animal as a player character class in the second book is worth the price of admission alone.

----
Those are my top two picks for third party at the moment. And I know it is first party, but I am also a total nerd for the Chained Coffin set. Being from Appalachia I extra enjoyed it.
Judge Perky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver
FLGS: The Compleat Strategist

Post by Judge Perky »

Not sure if you meant us to include such things, but this is THE most invaluable set of 3PPs for me...

http://purplesorcerer.com/tools.php
*Jonathan*

“You should laugh every moment you live, for you'll find it decidedly difficult afterwards.” ― Joe Abercrombie, Best Served Cold
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Judge Perky wrote:Not sure if you meant us to include such things, but this is THE most invaluable set of 3PPs for me...

http://purplesorcerer.com/tools.php
+5d30.

Purple Sorcerer rocks!
SoBH pbp:

Judge Perky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver
FLGS: The Compleat Strategist

Post by Judge Perky »

Daniel, you said...
Why that issue particularly?

Just curious.
*Jonathan*

“You should laugh every moment you live, for you'll find it decidedly difficult afterwards.” ― Joe Abercrombie, Best Served Cold
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Judge Perky wrote:Daniel, you said...
Why that issue particularly?

Just curious.
The Secrets of the Serpent Moon
SoBH pbp:

xmiyux
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Lost Legion: The Vault

Post by xmiyux »

Based on the recommendations above I picked up the hardback of the Sunken City Omnibus. Even setting aside how great a module it is - this is a really nicely printed book. I got the deluxe edition and was impressed with the paper and how colorful it is.
tovokas
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by tovokas »

Thank you! I'm very glad you like it: I know the premium hardback costs quite a bit to print, so I'm thrilled when folks find it a worthy investment. :)

Hope you have a great time running the adventures.
Jon Marr
Purple Sorcerer Games
purplesorcerer.com
DM Cojo
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by DM Cojo »

Boy, that is a tough list to make. I had to do lucky number 13 instead of 10...sorry. Off the top of my head, in no particular order:

Sunken City Omnibus by Purple Sorcerer (Perils of the Sunken City is a great funnel, and this is a cool place to revisit in your campaign).
Angels, Daemons and Beings Between by Dragon's Hoard Publishing (because you can never have enough gods or patrons)
Carnival of the Damned by Purple Sorcerer (an awesome adventure that I was lucky enough to playtest).
Steel and Fury by Purple Duck (lots of cool ideas for mighty deeds)
Nebin Pendlebrook's Perilous Pantry by Purple Sorcerer (another awesome, and creepy, funnel).
Tales from the Fallen Empire by Chapter 13 Press (very cool as another dimension in your campaign or as a "lost world" removed from your main campaign land).
Transylvanian Adventures by Land of Phantoms (haven't run a game purely of this, but have pulled many ideas from it).
The Well of Souls by Stormlord Publishing (yet another awesome low level adventure)
Liber Arcanum by Cognition Pressworks (some really cool alternative magic options)
Attack of the Frawgs by Thick Skull Adventures (Lots of funnels on this list, which is why my group ran so many funnels early in the campaign and ended up with a pool of "reserve" characters)
Ruins of Ramat by Brave Halfling Publishing (ran this with only two players and had a blast!)
Critters, Creatures and Denizens by Cognition Pressworks (handy for more mundane animals and has a crit table for Fairies!)
Crawl #9 "The Arwich Grinder" by Straycouches Press (Lovecraftian themed funnel that is as good as anything else out there!)

Also, it isn't a DCC product per se...but I have gotten a lot of use from the Petty Gods OSR supplement.

This of course, only scratches the surface! Enjoy!

P.S. Alternate Occupations by IDD Company is also excellent.
dregg
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by dregg »

DM Cojo wrote:Boy, that is a tough list to make. I had to do lucky number 13 instead of 10...sorry. Off the top of my head, in no particular order:

Tales from the Fallen Empire by Chapter 13 Press (very cool as another dimension in your campaign or as a "lost world" removed from your main campaign land).
Thanks for the shout out, I appreciate it. I am very proud of this work. Soon to be revised =)
Rev. J. Carpio - Freelance Writer & Game Designer
Chapter 13 Press Co-Founder
Gaming Guests Coordinator - I-CON 30
Gaming Director - Connecticon 2011
Steve Jackson Games - MIB 2702
Hear me rant at Ravenpoe.com
FNORD
Scatonaut
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Fantasiapelit

Post by Scatonaut »

Uhh...for my money some of the most important ones for any DCC campaign include:
-Steel & Fury: excellent resource for expanded Mighty Deeds/crits/fumbles
-Critters, Creatures & Denizens: a "Monster Manual" for DCC, fully statted creatures, mutation tables/rules, angel and demon crit tables etc.
-Liber Arcanum - more spells and additional rules for magic
-Divinities & Cults I and II: Gods historical and otherwise in DCC format...provides great templates for pimping your own for your campaign
-Angels, Daemons and Beings Between: a plethora of Patrons
-Crawl! zine
-Gongfarmers' Almanacs
-Phlogiston Books Vol 1
-Purple Sorcerer apps & printed products
-Hubris: a brilliant dark/gonzo/bizarro campaign world/setting. Has loads of tables hackable for any DCC campaign.
James Mishler
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by James Mishler »

Hey all,

I came to this folder to post exactly this same question!

Can we get some updates? It's been several years since the majority of the lists were made, and I know a bunch of stuff has come out since then.

What is the new hotness? What are the classics that have held up to the test of time?

What should I be spending my hard-earned $$$ on?

Thanks!
James Mishler
Personal Gameblog: http://adventuresingaming2.blogspot.com
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

James Mishler wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:42 pm Can we get some updates? It's been several years since the majority of the lists were made, and I know a bunch of stuff has come out since then.

I'll have to give this some thought.
SoBH pbp:

3rik
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Never Never Land

Post by 3rik »

I've been looking at Breaker Press Games' products. Unfortunately these are difficult to find in print (yet) and the shipping costs are quite steep when I order them straight from the publisher. They look really fun, though.
invidus es nostris quoniam tu talia nescis

"It's said that governments are chiefed by the double tongues" - Ten Bears (The Outlaw Josey Wales)

@RPGbericht
serendipitous
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by serendipitous »

3rik wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 3:37 pm I've been looking at Breaker Press Games' products. Unfortunately these are difficult to find in print (yet) and the shipping costs are quite steep when I order them straight from the publisher. They look really fun, though.
I just had to link the Beaker Press page at Drivethru; the "Rabid Dogs Zine" blurb hooked me at "Equal People... Demihumans and Mixed Race Player Characters - Unrestricted by traditions put forth by authors of the past, you should be ..."

AND this sounds pretty cool -- also from Rabid Dogs --:
I'm an Outsider... The Outlier Character Class - The ranger concept just doesn't fit with the "you're no hero" ethos of DCC, and admittedly, I had a middle school obsession with the bandit character class for AD&D re-published in Best of Dragon Vol. 4. The Outlier mashes up these two concepts into something uniquely DCC.

I Wanna Be Your Dog... The Canine Character Class
- What happens when the party's shepherd dies and their herding dog becomes the heart of the party? Well, you probably should just let them be the fuzzy anti hero they were destined to be.
" ... the things I am going to say are true and I am a force for truth and goodness, dammit, and I will beat anyone unconscious if they say otherwise."
-- The Angry GM
3rik
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by 3rik »

serendipitous wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:25 am
3rik wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 3:37 pm I've been looking at Breaker Press Games' products. Unfortunately these are difficult to find in print (yet) and the shipping costs are quite steep when I order them straight from the publisher. They look really fun, though.
I just had to link the Beaker Press page at Drivethru; the "Rabid Dogs Zine" blurb hooked me at "Equal People... Demihumans and Mixed Race Player Characters - Unrestricted by traditions put forth by authors of the past, you should be ..."

AND this sounds pretty cool -- also from Rabid Dogs --:
I'm an Outsider... The Outlier Character Class - The ranger concept just doesn't fit with the "you're no hero" ethos of DCC, and admittedly, I had a middle school obsession with the bandit character class for AD&D re-published in Best of Dragon Vol. 4. The Outlier mashes up these two concepts into something uniquely DCC.

I Wanna Be Your Dog... The Canine Character Class
- What happens when the party's shepherd dies and their herding dog becomes the heart of the party? Well, you probably should just let them be the fuzzy anti hero they were destined to be.
The Canine and Outlier class are also what attrected me to that Zine. But then I saw that their other zines/modules also look pretty cool. I can get the three Zines/modules in print from their site for $29 but it will be $25 shipping plus $1.99 handling fee... The "worst" is, they keep churning out new cool stuff. :cry:

"It's said that governments are chiefed by the double tongues" - Ten Bears (The Outlaw Josey Wales)

@RPGbericht
serendipitous
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by serendipitous »

3rik wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:32 pm The Canine and Outlier class are also what attrected me to that Zine. But then I saw that their other zines/modules also look pretty cool. I can get the three Zines/modules in print from their site for $29 but it will be $25 shipping plus $1.99 handling fee... The "worst" is, they keep churning out new cool stuff. :cry:
That is the "worst"! But I can't bring myself to hope they stop publishing ... I like their art, too.
" ... the things I am going to say are true and I am a force for truth and goodness, dammit, and I will beat anyone unconscious if they say otherwise."
-- The Angry GM
3rik
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by 3rik »

serendipitous wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 7:22 pm
3rik wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:32 pm The Canine and Outlier class are also what attrected me to that Zine. But then I saw that their other zines/modules also look pretty cool. I can get the three Zines/modules in print from their site for $29 but it will be $25 shipping plus $1.99 handling fee... The "worst" is, they keep churning out new cool stuff. :cry:
That is the "worst"! But I can't bring myself to hope they stop publishing ... I like their art, too.
I am just hoping for some future Kickstarter of them where I can get a whole bunch of their stuff in print at a relatively reasonable total cost.

@RPGbericht
3rik
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by 3rik »

There's a new Kickstarter from breaker Press Games!
The Stennard Courier Vol. I by Nick Baran - Kickstarter

And this also looks pretty cool:
Jungle Tomb of the Mummy Bride Compatible for DCC & 5E by Levi Combs - Kickstarter

I might jump in on both.

@RPGbericht
qstor
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by qstor »

- Crawl #6 new classes
- Angels, Daemons and Beings Between: a plethora of Patrons
- Gongfarmers' Almanacs
- Umerica setting material by Shield of Faith Studios
- Studio 9 Games mods/supplements like Welcome to Eastwood and 101 City Encounters
- Weird Frontiers by Stiff Whiskers Press
- Attack of the Frawgs funnel by Thick Skull Adventures
"I waste it with my Hackmaster +12" Dave KODT

Twitter: @qstor2
Bobjester
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
FLGS: Looking for one that doesn't withhold games from customers.

Post by Bobjester »

I'm relatively new to DCC, so my list of 3rd party "favorites" is as short as the length of ALL of them I've read so far.

This is also the order in which I've received them in the mail:

HUBRIS (DIY)
The Sunken City Adventure Omnibus & Guide (Purple Sorcerer)
The Carnival of the Damned (Purple Sorcerer)
Tales From the Fallen Empire (Chapter 13 Press)

The list will grow!
“The wounds received in battle bestow honor, they do not take it away...”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote

Return to “DCC RPG Third Party Publishers”