Ganelith's Bloody Veil -- Level 2 Complete!

FORUM LOCKED AS OF 4/3/12. Any feedback that doesn't fit into the categories above.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Ganelith's Bloody Veil -- Level 2 Complete!

Post by ragboy »

Here's some junk I'm working on for our next adventure.

It's a bit of a "file the serial numbers off" hack job using the Dungeoneer card game. Funny, the first thing I thought when I read through DCC for the first time, was...wow! Dungeoneer has a very S&S feel to it. So, I took a bunch of cards, pulled some stuff out at random and built a dungeon around it.

Here's the link to the adventure: http://mysticbull.pbworks.com/w/page/45438632/bloodveil
Last edited by ragboy on Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
AKA Paul Wolfe
The Mystic Bull: Check out our two FREE prehistoric adventures: The Steading of the Nergalites AND The Tribe of Ogg and the Gift of Suss
In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer (PDF) and softcover: 12 Short Adventures for DCC!
The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Re: Ganelith's Bloody Veil

Post by ragboy »

And Ganelith as the patron that all servants will rue the day they heard of... Still working on spells and taints.

-

Here's a link to it... http://mysticbull.pbworks.com/w/page/47249790/Ganelith
Last edited by ragboy on Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AKA Paul Wolfe
The Mystic Bull: Check out our two FREE prehistoric adventures: The Steading of the Nergalites AND The Tribe of Ogg and the Gift of Suss
In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer (PDF) and softcover: 12 Short Adventures for DCC!
The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

And the intro/hook
---------------
The Bloody Veil
In ancient days, the Bloody Veil was a portal between various realms of Hell to the mortal world. During the Age of Fiends, adherents of the Cherek, the demi-god of bears and the North, assaulted the gate and sealed it; building a shrined to the bear god on the site in order to sanctify and guard the sealed gate. Machinations within Hell in the intervening millennia saw rise of a new demon lord, Ganelith. Of his many servants in the mortal world, Ganelith chose Urgu Fel, the geomancer, to find, unseal and secure the portal. Fel assaulted the shrine to Cherek with his minions and secured the Bloody Veil after many years. His last act, it's said, was to unseal the gate -- a process that seemingly destroyed the geomancer. Though the gate stood open, Fel's minions could not completely destroy the shrine to the bear god -- and the subsequent influence of the shrine prevented unfettered access to the Veil from either side. The servants of Ganelith and minions of Fel built a vault to secure the portal and to wall off the shrine to Cherek. Over the centuries, Fel's minions died or were hunted down by the forces of Law, but the vault remained unknown until recently.

Months ago, an adherent to the Elven Queen of Thorns penetrated the vault, driven by his patron to destroy the Bloody Veil, forever sealing the world from Ganelith's influences (at least through this pathway). Unfortunately, the adherent failed so badly that the Veil was ripped open, allowing simple sacrifices of mortal blood to open the gateway for a short time. Ganelith has sent the word out to his minions, who race to the Thrice Broken Hills and the Bloody Veil with victims for sacrifice. Within weeks, the lands of Law will be flooded with the demonic brood of the demon lord, Ganelith.

Hooks
· Elven characters who are servants of the Queen of Thorns are contacted by their patron and directed to the Thrice Broken Hills to find and destroy the Bloody Veil.
· Wizards and clerics with patrons/gods dedicated to Law or Neutrality are sent by their patrons to defend and seal the gate.
· Chaotically-aligned characters may be directed to either gather sacrificial victims and make haste to the Vault for the rites to follow (if their patrons are allied with Ganelith) or to disrupt the rites and take control of the gate.

I also have a couple of relics I'm working with here: http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/vie ... 67&t=17633
AKA Paul Wolfe
My Gamer Profile
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

These are *great*! Looking forward to reading more.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
abk108
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by abk108 »

Like the story a lot! ;)
Author of Arcanix RPG - fantasy medieval d6 system
learn more :
http://arcanixrpg.webs.com
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

Draft of Level 1 of Ganelith's Vault is now up on my pbwiki site.

main site: http://mysticbull.pbwiki.com

direct link: http://mysticbull.pbworks.com/w/page/45438632/bloodveil

Let me know what you think!
AKA Paul Wolfe
My Gamer Profile
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Re: Ganelith's Bloody Veil -- Level 1 complete!

Post by ragboy »

I should mention that I'm currently running a group of level 3 characters through this... dunno if they'll survive or not.
AKA Paul Wolfe
My Gamer Profile
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

I like Room 11...partially for it's contents, partially because I love it's shape on the map! :lol:
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Really nice thread, ragboy. I like the monsters, and details you have posted and the adventure looks pretty fun as well! :D
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

Thanks!

Trying to finish up level 2...
AKA Paul Wolfe
My Gamer Profile
nudnic
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by nudnic »

Great work very inspiring.

This makes me think that when calling a patron the chart involved should be kept a secret from the players. Only the DM should know what could possible go wrong.

Maybe some patrons are standard and have been called on by so many other magic users that the knowledge is available. In other cases a mage might come across a patron or information concerning contacting a new patron in these cases the knowledge of what the patron offers and asks for and possible corruption involved should be kept secret from players.
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

nudnic wrote:Great work very inspiring.
Thanks!
nudnic wrote:This makes me think that when calling a patron the chart involved should be kept a secret from the players. Only the DM should know what could possible go wrong.
I agree, and that's what I have planned for any patrons, really. I actually assumed that's how the game was to be played, since the only patron in the beta is in the "DM's section."

-- mini playtest report -- One of the rooms (the shrine to Cherek) I have a weird trap on there that causes damage to Chaotically-aligned characters. When the characters got to that room, they were beat up a little bit and the wizard (Chaotic) dropped from the damage. I created this effect because the Bear God is a very unforgiving one -- he was essentially a "no other gods before me" kind of demi-god and a crusader-type in the fight against evil and chaos. And the effect is the reason why Ganelith's servants can't get in there and destroy the shrine. But, I'm wondering if that's overkill for characters.

All that to ask: What's everyone else doing about the other half of the alignment wheel? So, elves are generally "chaotic" freedom loving beings, but not evil.
AKA Paul Wolfe
My Gamer Profile
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Re: Ganelith's Bloody Veil -- Level 2 Complete!

Post by ragboy »

completed level 2. I've read through it once and formatted. Still need to final edit...

Playtest is almost complete. Party should complete (or die there) next week!

Also added the beginnings of write-ups on Cherek and the Queen of Thorns

Queen of Thorns - http://mysticbull.pbworks.com/w/page/47 ... ueenthorns
Cherek the Bear God -- http://mysticbull.pbworks.com/w/page/47249832/Cherek
AKA Paul Wolfe
My Gamer Profile

Return to “Playtest Feedback: Other”