Basic DCC newbie DM question

Forum for all things DCC not covered by other sub-forums, including tournaments, cons, collecting, Aereth, and so on.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

briceg
Gongfarmer

Basic DCC newbie DM question

Post by briceg »

I am preparing to run my first DCC and I am really looking forward to it BUT I am very new to being the DM. The module that I am reading through provides door stats for the various doors with DCs for locked and stuck. My question is, which one is it? Is it locked or is it stuck? The map and the module just says refers to the door. Do I roll each one and if so, do I just make up my own percentiles (10/40/50 for free/stuck/locked maybe)? Like I said, I am a new DM so don't smite too hard...
Blackdirge
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Re: Basic DCC newbie DM question

Post by Blackdirge »

Which DCC are you planning to run? Is it for 1E, 3E, or 4E?
Aeryn "Blackdirge" Rudel
Jengenritz
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Jengenritz »

Hey briceg, and welcome to the AWESOME side of the screen!

Several DCC modules have a section called "Areas of the Map" that discusses general attributes of any given level. These are usually things like notes on lighting, DCs to climb walls, and door stats (including DCs or % to pick or smash down).

If you're looking at one set of door stats for an entire module, that's probably what it is.

What particular module are you planning on running? That might help us find your reference.
Co-Author: The Almanac of the Endless Traders, DCC #13, DCC #29, DCC #49, DCC #51, DCC #52, DCC #63

Author: DCC #55: Isle of the Sea Drake, DCC #61: Citadel of the Corruptor, more to come....
DCCfan
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer
FLGS: The Comics Club

Post by DCCfan »

The room description or the text under the box will usually say if the door is locked or barred in some way. If your not sure roll randomly or do what most DM's do and wing it. If the party is walking through with ease then slow them down with a locked door. Want them to go left and they choose right. Well encourage them to turn around with a door barred from the other side. Your the DM so make the dungeon work for you. Hope this helps.
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

THE PROTOCOLS, ADVANCED PROTOCOL #10
briceg
Gongfarmer

Post by briceg »

I should have posted the info about the module, my apologies. I am prepping for the 3.5E of 'Idylls of the Rat King'. So far, my limited DM experience has been a good one although it is more work than I thought. Credit goes out to the DMs that I have played with that made it look a little too easy.

The areas of the map do indicate once in a while if the door is locked. For instance, the door in area 1-4 'opens easily on squeaky hinges' and the door to the armory (1-9) is locked. For the door in 1-1 however, should I take it to mean from the description that if it is not locked, it is stuck, or free? The biggest part of my confusion is... that there is a 'stuck' DC for doors that appear to be open (i.e. 1-8 and 1-1). Is this just to give me freedom as previously suggested to slow down or speed up the game?

Again, my apologies for such a newbie question. I do realize that I have freedom to do what I wish, but I want to make sure that I am fully realizing the author's vision for this great module!

Return to “Dungeon Crawl Classics - General”