Suggested Published Adventures That Would Make for Good DCC

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

claytonian
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Suggested Published Adventures That Would Make for Good DCC

Post by claytonian »

I was wonder what kind of classic adventures you guys think could be easily converted for DCC play.

I was thinking Against the Giants (I believe that one starts off with everyone as slaves, no?, which may work for a funnel), or possibly even an Arduin or Judges Guild adventure.
talmor
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Re: Suggested Published Adventures That Would Make for Good

Post by talmor »

B2 or T1 (Keep on the Borderlands and Village of Hommlet) spring to mind as good basic modules. 'Course, they're fun in OD&D, AD&D, and in GURPS, so they're just fun in general.

Against the Giants could work, but would take quite a bit of effort. It's designed for 9th level characters I believe, so as written it would work as a "funnel."

Of course, taking the basic idea/maps of that module and doing a prison break scenario could be cool. Though if I recall correctly, the slaves are all Orcs.

As for a setting--for some reason I keep thing "DCC would be a great system for Ravenloft..."
Rick
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: Gateway Games & More

Post by Rick »

This past weekend we started “Modnar’s Cellar” from Stonehell Dungeon Supplement Two: Buried Secrets (link below). I'm using it for our funnel and it's working out great so far.

http://www.lulu.com/product/media-downl ... 9/13648216
numenetics
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by numenetics »

R I C K wrote:This past weekend we started “Modnar’s Cellar” from Stonehell Dungeon Supplement Two: Buried Secrets (link below). I'm using it for our funnel and it's working out great so far.

Stonehell in general seems to be a good fit. Our funnel has been level 0, the ground level canyon area.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

talmor wrote:B2 or T1 (Keep on the Borderlands and Village of Hommlet) spring to mind as good basic modules.
I'd say that any of the old "monochrome" TSR modules would work well because they are low on specific monster stats and thus are easy to convert. (Those would include the G-series, D-series, S1 and S2, B1, and so on.) The Judges Guild modules Dark Tower and Caverns of Thracia would be good as well. Baically, early stuff should convert quickly.

I think that many modules will work well, actually. 3E modules (like DCC) have the disadvantage that you have to ignore more stat-block stuff, but the advantage that you don't have to convert AC.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
jeff
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by jeff »

I'm thinking of using the DCC module "Legends are Made, not Born".
michaelcurtis
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by michaelcurtis »

numenetics wrote:
R I C K wrote:This past weekend we started “Modnar’s Cellar” from Stonehell Dungeon Supplement Two: Buried Secrets (link below). I'm using it for our funnel and it's working out great so far.

Stonehell in general seems to be a good fit. Our funnel has been level 0, the ground level canyon area.
I'm pleased to see that people are adaptaing Stonehell for DCC. The canyon was alway intended to be the "intro level" where newbies could get a grasp of the rules before plunging deeper into the dungeon. And I can only imagine the fun involved if zero-level mooks start setting strange ropes on fire down in Modnar's place...

But these won't be my only funhouses that see use in DCC...
Scrivener of strange tales, part-time madman, and odd word aficionado.
CinderellaManJJ
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by CinderellaManJJ »

jeff wrote:I'm thinking of using the DCC module "Legends are Made, not Born".
This seems like a perfect one to convert to get a group started.
Follow Your Bliss,

JJ

blog, facebook, twitter
CEBrown
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by CEBrown »

Not sure how "classic" it is but, if I hadn't sold all rights to it, I'd have already converted "House of Madness" (http://www.kenzerco.com/product_info.ph ... cts_id=643) over.
It's essentially the adventure I began about 1/3 of my campaigns with back under 1e and 2e... :)
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

I'd toss in U1-The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh & N1- Against the Cult of the Reptile God.

And of course, DCC #2: The Lost Vault of Tsathzar Rho!
CinderellaManJJ
Far-Sighted Wanderer

I know B2 was mentioned, but almost anything for the B series of Basic modules in the '80s should work well. I believe all had a structured and stocked dungeon suitable for crawling.
Follow Your Bliss,

JJ

blog, facebook, twitter
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

I've always enjoyed the premise behind The Shattered Circle.

I also have my still-pristine copy of Night Below complete in it's box. It may be old, but I still have every map and even the box itself is still in great shape!
CEBrown
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by CEBrown »

If you can find them, a lot of the old Role-Aids modules were great at the lower levels of play (only ones I ever ran at high levels - The Keep and one vaguely Asian-themed one that I'm blanking on the title for - had serious balance and plot issues; but then, so did 1e AD&D...) and would convert very easily (since they had very generic stat-sets to begin with).
One of my favorites was the level 2-5 "A Question of Gravity" - you want to see the party mapper go bonkers, don't give the players the map handouts... :)
CinderellaManJJ
Far-Sighted Wanderer

The question seems to be, what wouldn't be suitable for conversion. Almost anything form the old Dungeon magazine and the adventures from the Dragon magazine earlier than that.
Follow Your Bliss,

JJ

blog, facebook, twitter
CEBrown
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by CEBrown »

CinderellaManJJ wrote:The question seems to be, what wouldn't be suitable for conversion. Almost anything form the old Dungeon magazine and the adventures from the Dragon magazine earlier than that.
Eh - Dragonlance modules might be problematic, due to specific setting rules, as could anything for Dark Sun or PROBABLY Eberron (not that familiar with it to be sure)... Otherwise, yeah, just about anything would work, even Planescape or Ravenloft (though Masque of the Red Death stuff probably wouldn't)...
Heck, I even have a few old Tunnels and Trolls modules that could work well (some do have system idiosyncrasies that would make conversion difficult at best, impossible at worst, though)
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

I've been running Frog God Games's "Splinters of Faith #1, It started with a Chicken," the S&W version.

http://www.talesofthefroggod.com/index. ... s-of-faith

It's an intro adventure, with simple traps, tons of un-dead and some elementals in the local dungeon. This works well because the monsters can be portrayed as weird and scary while still using generic DCC Stats. Other monsters convert easily (both games started as D&D/d20 derivatives.)

The town full of poor and down-n-out types that can use the opportunity for adventure. The motivation writes itself, as they're the last able bodies of a virtual ghost town. All they care about is who has been stealing their food. Which has been plenty enough to draw them into a dungeon.

I converted the Temple's god to Ildavir (who is practically Freya.) Orcus will be replaced with one of the gods of Chaos, but that might not matter because they haven't made it that far yet.

For the one big trap, I used 14 as the Spell Save DC and the appropriate effect of a "Choking Cloud" spell, which is identical to a "Stinking Cloud".

That's pretty much it.
Reverend Dakota Jesus Ultimak, S.S.M.o.t.S.M.S., D.M.

(Dungeon) Master In Chief of Crawl! fanzine. - http://www.crawlfanzine.com/

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons
CinderellaManJJ
Far-Sighted Wanderer

CEBrown wrote:
CinderellaManJJ wrote:The question seems to be, what wouldn't be suitable for conversion. Almost anything form the old Dungeon magazine and the adventures from the Dragon magazine earlier than that.
Eh - Dragonlance modules might be problematic, due to specific setting rules, as could anything for Dark Sun or PROBABLY Eberron (not that familiar with it to be sure)...
I should have clarified: Almost anything prior to 2nd Edition D&D. This would include the original Dragonlance modules as they did not see heavy revision and special rules until it was developed as it's own setting as opposed to a line of stand-alone modules. I think the conversion for anything that is retro-clone compatible would be a good fit too.

DCC Modules carry the same feeling and approach to the earlier style of module design would be a great fit. I'm going to go back and see how easy it is to adapt "Legends are Made, not Born" for DCCRPG.
Follow Your Bliss,

JJ

blog, facebook, twitter
talmor
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by talmor »

Ogrepuppy wrote:I also have my still-pristine copy of Night Below complete in it's box. It may be old, but I still have every map and even the box itself is still in great shape!
Damn you Ogrepuppy. Damn you to hell.

Gah, I hate you and everything you stand for.

Why didn't I think of that?!?!?!

Now I need to go dig up my Night Below and reread it. AGAIN!
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

talmor wrote:
Ogrepuppy wrote:I also have my still-pristine copy of Night Below complete in it's box. It may be old, but I still have every map and even the box itself is still in great shape!
Damn you Ogrepuppy. Damn you to hell.

Gah, I hate you and everything you stand for.

Why didn't I think of that?!?!?!

Now I need to go dig up my Night Below and reread it. AGAIN!
Why am I picturing his fist pounding wet sand when I read this? And what's that big statue in the background?
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
talmor
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by talmor »

GnomeBoy wrote:Why am I picturing his fist pounding wet sand when I read this? And what's that big statue in the background?
It was more of a "fall onto the ground on my knees, while screaming to the heavens" type thing--but punching wet sand works too.
claytonian
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by claytonian »

going with Legends are Made, not Born, but I wonder how I can DCC it up. The ogre should be some other tough monster...
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

michaelcurtis wrote:
numenetics wrote:

I'm pleased to see that people are adaptaing Stonehell for DCC. The canyon was alway intended to be the "intro level" where newbies could get a grasp of the rules before plunging deeper into the dungeon. And I can only imagine the fun involved if zero-level mooks start setting strange ropes on fire down in Modnar's place...

But these won't be my only funhouses that see use in DCC...
+1 from me. So far we've lost 12 characters in a combination of "canyon" level, level 1 and 2 of Stonehell. Love the module so far. I actually had characters running away from Coal because they accidentally stumbled into his lair and didn't want to hurt him and risk the "bad luck" of killing the adventurers' mascot.

Oh yeah -- Wheel of Fortune score? Five spins, three insta-deaths.
AKA Paul Wolfe
The Mystic Bull: Check out our two FREE prehistoric adventures: The Steading of the Nergalites AND The Tribe of Ogg and the Gift of Suss
In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer (PDF) and softcover: 12 Short Adventures for DCC!
The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile

Return to “DCC RPG General”