Dice: generating "Zocchi results" using "normal" polyhedrons

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Jim Skach
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Re: Dice: generating "Zocchi results" using "normal" polyhed

Post by Jim Skach »

Arise, thread...

I went to Koplow's booth at GenCon.

I purchased 3 each of the 10-sided dice numbered 1-5 twice, and 6-sided dice numbered 1-3 twice.

I purchased 3 30-sided, 3 24-sided, and 3 16-sided.

I asked about d14's and he said unfortunately he would not have them for while yet...but that he would have them numbered 1-14 and 1-7 twice.

I think that just about takes care of the set...right?
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Sounds like you've pretty much covered all of the bases!

I'm happy to hear about the d14 numbered 1-7 twice, because I'm not a big fan of the current d7 shapes out there.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
8bit-Sorcerer
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by 8bit-Sorcerer »

By the way...

I just wrote a tiny android app to roll the various dices used by DCC.
It should be available for free on GetJar.com by February, 7 (after the acceptation process).

The name of the application is "WeirdDices".

If needed, I can put the apk file on my homepage for direct download.

This application is open-source software under GNU General Public License. Source code is available at Github (https://github.com/a-skr/WeirdDices).
Please be indulgent with my modest english language skills, I'm not a native english speaker.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

8bit-Sorcerer wrote:By the way...

I just wrote a tiny android app to roll the various dices used by DCC.
It should be available for free on GetJar.com by February, 7 (after the acceptation process).

The name of the application is "WeirdDices".

If needed, I can put the apk file on my homepage for direct download.

This application is open-source software under GNU General Public License. Source code is available at Github (https://github.com/a-skr/WeirdDices).
Very cool! Please let us know when it clears.

While I prefer "rattle rattle" dice myself, I've been at many a table where this would be super useful.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
8bit-Sorcerer
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by 8bit-Sorcerer »

WeirdDices is now available here: http://www.getjar.com/mobile/341868/WeirdDices

Feel free to post comments on the getjar website if this application is not up to your expectations (especially if it doesn't render nicely on newer phones).

edit: grrr... it seems that I made a mistake on target informations. getjar keeps saying that the application "is not for your phone" (obviously, it is...). It may take up to two days to fix the target description... Sorry for the inconvenience.
Please be indulgent with my modest english language skills, I'm not a native english speaker.
8bit-Sorcerer
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by 8bit-Sorcerer »

OK.

The application is now available on getjat at this address: http://www.getjar.com/WeirdDices

but... I discovered getjar tries to install its own application first, and this one is very suspicious, according to the set of permissions it requires.

So, I put the apk file at this location: http://skrzynia.nerim.net/WeirdDices-release.apk
Simply use this last link to download the apk file from your phone, and tap on it. Your android operating system should propose you to install it.
Semi-Retired Gamer
Wild-Eyed Zealot
FLGS: Wizard's Asylum

Post by Semi-Retired Gamer »

8bit-Sorcerer wrote:OK.

The application is now available on getjat at this address: http://www.getjar.com/WeirdDices

but... I discovered getjar tries to install its own application first, and this one is very suspicious, according to the set of permissions it requires.

So, I put the apk file at this location: http://skrzynia.nerim.net/WeirdDices-release.apk
Simply use this last link to download the apk file from your phone, and tap on it. Your android operating system should propose you to install it.
Thanks! The stores in my area do not have many of the funky dice.
Charlie
----------------------------------------------------
I (mainly) blog about role-playing topics at The Semi-Retired Gamer.

Reading: The Lair of Bones by David Farland.
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

I just bit the bullet and ordered some funky dice. 2x (d3, d5, d7, d14, d16, d24 d30) cost me something like $50. Sort of ridiculous, but... there is something just "better" about rolling physical dice, versus clicking an app. Guess I'm old school like that.
Primus
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Primus »

Zocchi 5 pack d3,d5,d14,d16,d24 no ink $12.00 ea.
Zoccchi 5 pack d3,d5,d14,d16,d24 inked $18.00 ea.

d7 $5.oo ea.
d30 (Koplow opaque) $1.89 ea.

Gamestation.net prices plus shipping. Just my 2 cents worth.
THE ONE AND THE PRIME....NEVER FORGOTTEN
bitflipr
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by bitflipr »

Shipping dice to Canada is expensive. Anyone know where you can purchase them up north?
Colin

Post by Colin »

bitflipr wrote:Shipping dice to Canada is expensive. Anyone know where you can purchase them up north?
No idea, sorry, but if it helps, I had the same problem with getting dice here in the UK; Gamestation wanted to basically double the cost of the order to ship a couple sets of Zocchi dice (and they were already expensive to begin with) and purchasing the dice from any stockists in the UK was similarly ridiculous. I ended up hunting around on Ebay for a decent US-based seller (comiclair), contacting them, and they ordered them in for me (at a price cheaper than Gamestation) and shipped them too (also at a price significantly cheaper than Gamestation). The end result was that I got my dice for a little under half of what it would have cost me to order direct or buy them from someone in the UK.

There's a whole big thread on buying Zocchi dice HERE.

Colin
Hoggarth
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Hoggarth »

I like rolling dice also. I will be picking up a set at Gen Con next month. I'm sure someone will have them there.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

Hoggarth wrote:I like rolling dice also. I will be picking up a set at Gen Con next month. I'm sure someone will have them there.
One of the booths at GenCon lets you buy a pitcher of dice. They have this big bin and you just scoop up a while pitcher full for a set price.

I used to buy one, then take it home unsorted. My kids and I would take turns picking favorites until they had all been divided up three ways. Very fun.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
Semi-Retired Gamer
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Primus wrote:Zocchi 5 pack d3,d5,d14,d16,d24 no ink $12.00 ea.
Zoccchi 5 pack d3,d5,d14,d16,d24 inked $18.00 ea.

d7 $5.oo ea.
d30 (Koplow opaque) $1.89 ea.

Gamestation.net prices plus shipping. Just my 2 cents worth.
Not bad at all. :)
Charlie

Semi-Retired Gamer
Wild-Eyed Zealot

The d3 (along with that weird d7) just look "wrong" to me... :wink: I remembered that I had some FUDGE dice so I am going to use one for the d3 with the minus = 1, blank = 2, and plus = 3. Now to work on that crazy looking d7...
Charlie

Steerpike
Gongfarmer

Post by Steerpike »

Just by way of feedback, my impression of the dice requirement before I get to my comment and question. I don't know if the feedback will make a difference for any future iterations of the game, but so be it. I don't like the "funky" Zocchi dice. It has been the biggest roadblock to me getting a group together to play this. People see it, and they don't want to bother getting them (once I have my own, I can provide, but a lot of players are particular about having their own set of dice). I don't like using apps. My local gaming store not only doesn't have the dice, but they claim they can't get them (I am suspicious of that claim). I see that there are people who frequent these forums who like the dice, but honestly I think they represent a substantial minority of total people who might be willing to try to game. It's a bit of a barrier to entry into DCC.

At any rate, apart from the Zocchi dice I really love what I've read in the rule book (the designers really did an excellent job with this thing, overall), despite not having a chance to actually run a game since I purchased it. Tomorrow that changes. I do not, however, have Zocchi dice for the first session. I am ordering some online but they will not be here in time.

I think I have pretty well replicated the Zocchi dice with regular dice except for the d7 and d14. No matter what I do, the math is just way off from what the real dice would be. Here's what I have:

d3 = d6/2 (round up; 1 and 2 = 1; 3 and 4 = 2; 5 and 6 = 3)
d5= d10/2 (round up)
d7= ?
d14= ?
d16 = d8 + d6 (if d6 = 1 through 3, add 0 to d8 roll; if d6 = 4 through 6 add 8 to d8 roll)
d24 = d12 + d6 (if d6 = 1 through 3, add zero to d12 roll; if d6 = 4 through 6, add 12 to the d12 roll)
d30 = 1d10 + d6 (if d6 = 1 or 2, add 0 to d10 roll; if d6= 3 or 4 add 10 to d10 roll; if d6= 5 or 6 add 20 to d10 roll)

At any rate, I see people in this thread have done some similar things. I think what I have so far is serviceable, but everything I try on d7 and d14 seems screwed up in terms of the math. Even rolling a d20 and re-rolling on anything above 14, for example, leaves you with screwed up math from what I can tell.

Thoughts? Has anyone figured out a way to proceed while waiting for Zocchi dice (and without an app?)

Thank you!
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Steerpike wrote:...but everything I try on d7 and d14 seems screwed up in terms of the math. Even rolling a d20 and re-rolling on anything above 14, for example, leaves you with screwed up math from what I can tell.
Hunh? It still gives you a linear result of 1-14. Ignoring the results of 15-20 is the same as not rolling them to begin with. The process may take longer for re-rolling, but using a d20 like that is just as valid mathematically as a d14 would be...

But yes, the d7/d14 is the bugbear in the room. On the plus side, they may be more prevalent next year, as manufacturers are starting to get the word...

Personally, as a stop-gap, I suggest the d8 (ignore an 8 result) for the d7 -- and a d8 with a control die for the high/low d14 stuff...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Steerpike
Gongfarmer

Post by Steerpike »

GnomeBoy wrote: Hunh? It still gives you a linear result of 1-14. Ignoring the results of 15-20 is the same as not rolling them to begin with. The process may take longer for re-rolling, but using a d20 like that is just as valid mathematically as a d14 would be...
Yeah, I know it is still linear, but....

OK, never mind...I was in the middle of a two paragraph explanation of what I thought was wrong when it suddenly dawned on me why you are right. I'll go with that method until I can get my dice. Everyone in my group has been complaining about the non-standard dice over email today, so I'm hoping once the game gets underway that issue will fall by the wayside, because I think it is going to be fun >:)
tovokas
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by tovokas »

Yeah, my D14 is the most natural looking of the bunch, so one of those numbered 1-7 twice would make an excellent d7 for those who are put off by strange shapes. :)
Jon Marr
Purple Sorcerer Games
purplesorcerer.com
Ddogwood
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Ddogwood »

bitflipr wrote:Shipping dice to Canada is expensive. Anyone know where you can purchase them up north?
Sorry everyone for the thread necro, but I bought some Gamescience dice from www.darkelfdice.com and had them shipped to Canada. The price and shipping cost were both reasonable, and their customer service has been excellent.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

Ddogwood wrote:
Sorry everyone for the thread necro, but I bought some Gamescience dice from http://www.darkelfdice.com and had them shipped to Canada. The price and shipping cost were both reasonable, and their customer service has been excellent.
The prices there are good, especially if you are willing to ink your own set (which I no longer am willing to do). A 12-piece uninked set for under $20... 8)
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
Clangador
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Clangador »

I have been reading this to get a grasp on the more unusual than normal unusual dice used in this game. It doesn't seem too much of an issue to improvise with some of the methods provided here.

I really like the game. I've just been reading it over tonight. I do think the use of these funky dice is an impediment to the game. It won't stop me from introducing it to our gaming group. (We play mostly Pathfinder, but I do run OSRIC when my turn at the helm comes.) I do wonder if anyone is going to complain about the dice used in this game.
~Clangador

I'm not a wizard but I play one in DCC...

Join the DCC RPG Rocks Facebook group.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

Clangador wrote:I do wonder if anyone is going to complain about the dice used in this game.
Some will, yes. Some have complained about the dice use since before DCC went to press, back in Beta playtest.

I look at it this way: back in the 1970's everyone had d6's and pretty much no one had those funky polyhedral dice. I mean, who finds a d12 or d8 or d4 or d20 in a "regular" game, right? While some of us thought the dice were cool, I'm sure others complained about having to buy special dice. That didn't stop TSR from using different dice for rolling hit points, using a d20 for a combat roll, and so on.

Nowadays a lot of games use special dice. Heck, the new Star Wars game (Edge of Empire) uses dice with strange dots and symbols all over it. If you want to play, you buy the dice.
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
Dark Lord
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Dark Lord »

Maybe I'm a fanboy, but it felt like part of the experience to me. I got to relive the part of my youth where I had to track down those funny new dice. Got them home and had to color them in, spent some time looking them over, and my friends all had to take a gander at them too.
Felt like the early 80s again.
Clangador
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Clangador »

I went out and bought a couple D30s today. Didn't notice any of the other dice used in this game (at the game store). IIRC, my son has a set of Game Science dice I may have to borrow. The push back against the "new" dice may or may no come from the group I play with. I won't know until I run a game for them if there is an issue or not.

I remember when I got my first Holmes Basic set and it took me months to get all the right dice. The set I got came with those damnable chits. :shock:
~Clangador

I'm not a wizard but I play one in DCC...

Join the DCC RPG Rocks Facebook group.

Return to “DCC RPG General”