Death Dealer

Forum for Master Dungeons, Forgotten Heroes, Hero's Handbook, and all our other 4E products except for Dungeon Crawl Classics.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

rabindranath72
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Death Dealer

Post by rabindranath72 »

Ok, I will try posting here since it seems no one looked at the other thread.

Yesterday I received the book in the mail, and I have been reading it all day. I must say: BRILLIANT WORK! I do not even play 4e (I had the 4e books and sold them), but this one makes me want to run a 4e game again. I might pick up the game again :oops:

I like the layout, and how stat blocks are not repeated too many times (one thing that put me off the new edition, at least in the WotC adventure modules), though 3 or 4 pages could have been saved considering that all the monsters are also in the back of the book, and it's suggested to photocopy the pages anyway. It could have been worse, I suppose :)

I also like how the whole module only uses the PHB, though the pregen druid is a bit out of place IMO. Perhaps I will change the character with a fey pact warlock.

I also have some questions:
1- Is there a background for the pregens? Something which ties them to Iparsia (e.g. what's their culture)? As they stand, they are just a bunch of numbers, quite in contrast with all the rest.

2- What about the pdf?

************ SPOILERS WARNING!!! ************

3- I cannot understand where the refugees are supposed to go. Do they pass through the keep before the PCs get there?
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Re: Death Dealer

Post by Harley Stroh »

Rabin,

I'm sorry I missed the other thread. I've been at Genghis Con, Denver, running games.

First, thank you for the kind words. I'm glad you're enjoying DD. I'll ask around --- maybe there is someone willing to do a 3.5 conversion so that we don't force you back into 4e.

Re: Druid
In the Image comic, druids play a key role in saving the world against Mirahan. Dreovid actually joins the party, and aids them as best he can. The druid was a nod that direction. That said, I can certainly see how the druid stands out in the otherwise martial group.

Pre-gen Background[/d]
D'oh! That would have been great to include. :oops: But if you pick up the comics from Image, it will tell you all about them.

What about the PDF?
Just inside the cover page, you should have a black text box that instructs you how to download the free, full-color pdf. And let me tell you, it is *gorgeous.* The color art is amazing.

What about the Fleeing Peasants?
This is writer error. They all make it through the ruins before the PCs get there, but are moving too slow to escape the Shadow Horde unless the PCs manage to delay the army.

Hope this helps. Thanks for picking up DD!

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

rabindranath72 wrote:I do not even play 4e (I had the 4e books and sold them), but this one makes me want to run a 4e game again. I might pick up the game again :oops:
Hmmm. My experience with 4E so far has been really hit-miss, but I know you from DF and other boards and I value your opinion on game style. Based on your comments, I'll have to check this one out!
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman

Return to “4E Products”