From Here to There

Forum for Master Dungeons, Forgotten Heroes, Hero's Handbook, and all our other 4E products except for Dungeon Crawl Classics.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

xredjasonx
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

From Here to There

Post by xredjasonx »

Is it too early to give us a level range for the adventures in the book? Is it mostly heroic tier, paragon tier, etc..?

This looks really awesome and will be a great example that 4E isn't just combat based dungeon crawling. Whoever thought up this product gets a hi-5 from me. 8)
Jengenritz
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Re: From Here to There

Post by Jengenritz »

Whoever thought up this product gets a hi-5 from me.
[twap] Much obliged. I pitched the concept back in the day, but Mr. Stroh spearheaded the actual project.
Co-Author: The Almanac of the Endless Traders, DCC #13, DCC #29, DCC #49, DCC #51, DCC #52, DCC #63

Author: DCC #55: Isle of the Sea Drake, DCC #61: Citadel of the Corruptor, more to come....
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

xredjasonx wrote:This looks really awesome and will be a great example that 4E isn't just combat based dungeon crawling.
Right, it'll be combat-based overland-crawling, now with 150% more minis!

I'm not trying to be intentionally controversial. No, seriously. You guys have seen me on these boards for a few years now and (hopefully) know I'm a pretty easy-going, accepting guy. Certainly my comment wasn't an attack on RedJason.

But man, D&D4 is just not gelling with me. Maybe it's because my group isn't heavy into role-playing (at least, not as much as I am), but rather into "roll-playing". Maybe because this edition feels so "Diablo II with paper & pencils" (IMHO, YMMV, etc etc)....I dunno.

I'm just not feelin' this edition like I did in the past.

Is it just me?
Treebore
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Treebore »

No, its not just you. When I went to my LGS for D&D World Day several of the gamers were saying the same thing, me among them. In the 11th level scenario I kept thinking of Mutants and Masterminds.
Castles and Crusades is my game of choice!
Jengenritz

Post by Jengenritz »

In the 11th level scenario I kept thinking of Mutants and Masterminds.
(smacks forehead)
I think I know where you're coming from on this one, Treebore.
Fun game, btw.
Co-Author: The Almanac of the Endless Traders, DCC #13, DCC #29, DCC #49, DCC #51, DCC #52, DCC #63

Author: DCC #55: Isle of the Sea Drake, DCC #61: Citadel of the Corruptor, more to come....
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Jengenritz wrote:I think I know where you're coming from on this one, Treebore.
Fun game, btw.
So why is M&M fun and D&D4 less?
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Because M&Ms come im more colors than just red, green, and black?

:roll:

I'll shut up now.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Jengenritz

Post by Jengenritz »

I can't answer why you find the above to be true. It's a matter of preference, but based on what I've read in several places you're not alone. Hell, I'm still struggling with some aspects of 4E.

But it's my job to insert (what I hope to be) fun into any game-system I write for, and I love my job. Hopefully, that gets translated into the final product.

My entry in From Here to There, for example, is about a toll station haunted by a nightmare-demon.
Originally it was about a resurgence of a cult of Bobugbubilz, but then I happened upon the idea of nightmares, and how that would give me a chance to insert human (and halfling) fear archetypes into a D&D setting.
It might be those psych courses I took back in the day, but I dig that.

The adventure goes into greater detail, but it focuses less on combat (although there is some) and more on solving what happened and undoing it.
The situation of an adventure is always more interesting to me than the combat*.

Hopefully all that eventually equals "fun." If it instead equals "teh suck," it's back to the drawing board.

*I've often lamented that - as long as somebody has a sword or a torch in their hand - I can write a Call of Cthulhu adventure, but as soon as they've got a .32 revolver or a flashlight, my mind goes blank.

DangerDwarf
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by DangerDwarf »

This is another product I'm looking forward too checking out.
Count Zero
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Count Zero »

Ogrepuppy wrote:
Jengenritz wrote:I think I know where you're coming from on this one, Treebore.
Fun game, btw.
If it were any other game it would just exist happily in the marketplace, but since its D&D there are certain tropes that people come to expect, and they're not there anymore. I think 4E is a blast but its very different. I've been playing for 28 years so its a welcome change. I've also come to realize the things that are missing are things that pushed me away in the first place. But I digress...

This looks like a great product! :D
I'm the quiet neighbor with the big freezer.
Jengenritz

Post by Jengenritz »

Count Zero wrote:This looks like a great product!
Thank you, sir. Glad to hear you're coming back to D&D after some time off.

Some of those tropes you talk about are at the root of the Great Edition Debate. I see this as an opportunity to reinvent or turn them on their head, but I like that kind of thing.

FWIW, I'm also looking forward to From Here to There. I have no idea what the other authors came up with.

Maybe they'll chime in and drop some hints? :wink:

Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Count Zero wrote:This looks like a great product! :D
Hey, Count--welcome to the boards.

I'm already a big fan of you because 1) of the Gibson reference, and 2) I'm in Rochester, only a little ways away.

Enjoy!
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Jengenritz wrote:The adventure goes into greater detail, but it focuses less on combat (although there is some) and more on solving what happened and undoing it.
Trust me, I'll give it a fair shake. My malaise with D&D is more about the focus of the rules* than it is about the products Goodman Games releases.

* While not every little detail about D&D4 is related to combat, tactics or minis, the overwhelming majority of it is...IMO, YMMV, yadda yadda.
Count Zero
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Count Zero »

Ogrepuppy wrote:
Count Zero wrote:This looks like a great product! :D
Hey, Count--welcome to the boards.

I'm already a big fan of you because 1) of the Gibson reference, and 2) I'm in Rochester, only a little ways away.

Enjoy!
Right on, thanks. As the years go by my name is becoming more and more obscure. I think I dig it. :)

I'm jealous that you have Millenium Games so close to you. I haven't been there in a while but before the internet we used to make frequent trips to Crazy Egor's. :)
I'm the quiet neighbor with the big freezer.
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Count Zero wrote:I'm jealous that you have Millenium Games so close to you. I haven't been there in a while but before the internet we used to make frequent trips to Crazy Egor's.
Meh.

Igor used to sell stuff at an actual discount.

Now, unless I need to have Product X like it's a burnin' hunk 'o' love, it's cheaper to get stuff online. I've discovered the joys of PDFs, too, even though I highly prefer a dead tree in my hand.

Unemployment does this shi...stuff to you.
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

For those of you who missed it, we announced today that From Here to There will be released at a price of only $9.99 for an 80-page book with 9 adventures inside! It's part of our overall Great Price strategy. See http://www.goodman-games.com/greatprices.html for full details.

We're proofing the final layout of From Here to There now. It's packed with good adventures. I'll be posting summaries of the adventures within sometime in the next couple weeks.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Phaedran
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Phaedran »

Is this book available yet?
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Unfortunately no. There was a bit of a personnel issue regarding the graphic designer, who at this point is officially off the project. New designer's lined up, fresh work will commence in a couple weeks, and hopefully it will be back on track soon.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Sir Brown
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Sir Brown »

I picked up From Here to there Today at Leisure Games In North London fighting the bitter cold & snow as i went :)

Thanks Again Goodman games for a fantastic book now i have something slid for my games traveling points: D

When Madness Seeps Through I found this adventure very Lovecraft style

& the Toll station lots of fun to have

Thanks again

Also what is the Dungeon Crawl classic Role playing game at the back of the book coming Late 2011

Any idea’s wink, wink nude nudge
Make Love & War Come on theres Death Both ways AH HA HA HA HA HA
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Sir Brown wrote:I picked up From Here to there Today at Leisure Games In North London fighting the bitter cold & snow as i went :)

Thanks Again Goodman games for a fantastic book now i have something slid for my games traveling points: D

When Madness Seeps Through I found this adventure very Lovecraft style

& the Toll station lots of fun to have

Thanks again
Glad you liked it!
Sir Brown wrote:Also what is the Dungeon Crawl classic Role playing game at the back of the book coming Late 2011

Any idea’s wink, wink nude nudge
So you saw that, eh? :) What do you think of the illustration?
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Sir Brown
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Sir Brown »

So you saw that, eh? :) What do you think of the illustration?

I like Very 80's Which i like :D will it be 4th ED or 1st ED?
Make Love & War Come on theres Death Both ways AH HA HA HA HA HA
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Sir Brown wrote:I like Very 80's Which i like :D will it be 4th ED or 1st ED?
It will be...DCC RPG edition!
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
cnath.rm
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by cnath.rm »

goodmangames wrote:For those of you who missed it, we announced today that From Here to There will be released at a price of only $9.99 for an 80-page book with 9 adventures inside! It's part of our overall Great Price strategy. See http://www.goodman-games.com/greatprices.html for full details.
I placed preorders for this and the Book of Rituals at my flgs awhile ago based on this... I figured I'd do my part at trying to get the Goodman goodness in the store.

I got a call earlier this week that it was finally in and I could pick it up. It's a nice looking book that I'm looking forward to getting to read, and I don't want to be a downer, but a warning that the price had basically doubled would have been nice, seeing as how the price on the back is $19.95 and not the advertised $9.99 Maybe I just missed the announcement or something?
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Yes, the price did go up as we finally wrapped it up and got the final specs. We issue an update to distributors (and change our web site) but that doesn't always trickle down to every store appropriately. Shoot me an email and I'll get you a free PDF of your choice to make up the discrepancy!
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
The Chatty DM
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by The Chatty DM »

@Sir Brown: I'm happy you liked the feel of "When Madness Seeps Through", it was my first stab at formal RPG writing and I really wanted to capture that Alienist/Lovecraft tone.

Colour me happy.
The Chatty DM
http://chattydm.net
Where the Rule of Cool meets the Rule of Fun
Co-Author: From Here to There

Return to “4E Products”