Goodman Games DCC Monster book?

What games do you want to see? What can we do better?

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

qstor
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Goodman Games DCC Monster book?

Post by qstor »

A book with "official" DCC version Aboleth, Boggle, Death dog, Devas, Froghemoth etc
"I waste it with my Hackmaster +12" Dave KODT

Twitter: @qstor2
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: Goodman Games DCC Monster book?

Post by GnomeBoy »

Why not just use them? Both games have ascending AC, somewhat comparable HD, etc.

I grabbed this set of stats for the Aboleth online:

Aboleth

Traits
Amphibious: The aboleth can breathe air and water.

Mucous Cloud: While Underwater, the aboleth is surrounded by transformative mucus. A creature that touches the aboleth or that hits it with a melee Attack while within 5 ft. of it must make a DC 14 Constitution saving throw. On a failure, the creature is Diseased for 1d4 hours. The Diseased creature can breathe only Underwater.

Probing Telepathy: If a creature communicates telepathically with the aboleth, the aboleth learns the creature's greatest desires if the aboleth can see the creature.

Actions
Multiattack: The aboleth makes three tentacle attacks.

Tentacle: Melee Weapon Attack: +9 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 12 (2d6 + 5) bludgeoning damage. If the target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC 14 Constitution saving throw or become Diseased. The disease has no Effect for 1 minute and can be removed by any magic that cures disease. After 1 minute, the Diseased creature's skin becomes translucent and slimy, the creature can't regain Hit Points unless it is Underwater, and the disease can be removed only by heal or another disease-curing spell of 6th level or higher. When the creature is outside a body of water, it takes 6 (1d12) acid damage every 10 minutes unless moisture is applied to the skin before 10 minutes have passed.

Tail: Melee Weapon Attack: +9 to hit, reach 10 ft. one target. Hit: 15 (3d6 + 5) bludgeoning damage.

Enslave (3/day): The aboleth Targets one creature it can see within 30 ft. of it. The target must succeed on a DC 14 Wisdom saving throw or be magically Charmed by the aboleth until the aboleth dies or until it is on a different plane of existence from the target. The Charmed target is under the aboleth's control and can't take Reactions, and the aboleth and the target can communicate telepathically with each other over any distance. Whenever the Charmed target takes damage, the target can repeat the saving throw. On a success, the Effect ends. No more than once every 24 hours, the target can also repeat the saving throw when it is at least 1 mile away from the aboleth.

While it's wordier than the usual DCC monster stats, it ports over pretty well. Con Saves become Fort Saves, Wisdom Saves become Will Saves. This set of stats doesn't seem to have the hp, AC, etc. listed, but I'm sure that's at your fingertips somewhere, if you're asking this question...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
BanjoJohn
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
FLGS: there are a few but I dont really consider any of them as my main flgs

Post by BanjoJohn »

Doesn't the section about monsters in the DCC rulebook make it pretty clear that they want you to be creative with your own monsters instead of relying on a book to give you all the stuff about monsters?

Instead of a book that stats out monsters specifically, I could see a book that gives more random tables for generating interesting/unique monsters.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
BanjoJohn
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
FLGS: there are a few but I dont really consider any of them as my main flgs

Post by BanjoJohn »

GnomeBoy wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:39 pm More than these five?

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse.php ... from=&pto=

:wink:
But those aren't goodman games, they may be good and for DCC, but they're third party. I can understand how some people might still be wanting official goodman games products instead of third party products, I used to be that way about 3.5D&D back in the day.
qstor
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by qstor »

I know what the book says about making your own creatures :)

Maybe I'm a "Lazy DM" but I've always liked "Monster Manuals" and I thought it would be a great idea for an "official" book for judges/DMs with lots of stats for monsters. I listed those cause it might be "flavored" as homage to an old TSR book. Just an idea...

Mat Mobile
Wild-Eyed Zealot
FLGS: L'abyss

Post by Mat Mobile »

I'm pretty sure that "Critters, Creatures, & Denizens" (DriveThruRPG or GoodmanGames website) is the closest you'll get to a Monster Manual.

Again, this is 3rd party, but as others said previously, DCC wants you to be creative with monsters, so it's unlikely they will be publishing one.

The great thing about running DCC modules is that they all have the stats and description in the text so you don't have to start fumbling thru other books. It's all in the module! And the stat blocks are short and easy to read at the table. No full pages!

Another great thing is that they're original. So, as a Judge, you won't be saying to players:

"You enter the room and there's 5 goblins." :roll:

Instead, you'll be saying:

"You enter the room and, after overcoming the gagging because of the smell of decay, you see 5 small child-size creatures with transluscent white skin. They're clothes are basically greasy rags. Their green eyes look at you menacingly and their drooling black mouths let rotten food fall out as you catch their attention. They seem ready to pounce!" :shock:

It's the same monster... but it will scar their imagination forever! :lol:

Anyways, it's something I love about DCC. I agree that it's a mindset that goes against the norm but in the end makes total sense.
qstor
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by qstor »

Mat Mobile wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:39 pm I'm pretty sure that "Critters, Creatures, & Denizens" (DriveThruRPG or GoodmanGames website) is the closest you'll get to a Monster Manual.

Again, this is 3rd party, but as others said previously, DCC wants you to be creative with monsters, so it's unlikely they will be publishing one.

Anyways, it's something I love about DCC. I agree that it's a mindset that goes against the norm but in the end makes total sense.
I'm not an "expert" but some of the Monsters in that seemed a bit off and not balanced.

I've played a lot of Pathfinder so I guess I'm used to having a lot of official monster stats. I think even in BECMI there's more official monsters.

But I understand GG wants DMs to make their own monsters. I guess that's what's good about the index I found for 3rd party zines. There's a ton of monsters already done.

Archade
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Forbes Hobbies

Post by Archade »

I'm slowly converting thing as I need them for my game over at https://archadestower.blogspot.com ...
CapnZapp
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
FLGS: Book

Post by CapnZapp »

Mat Mobile wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:39 pmbut as others said previously, DCC wants you to be creative with monsters, so it's unlikely they will be publishing one.
I can't be sure but isn't Dungeon Denizens going to get a DCC edition?

"Last week at Empire of the Cyclops Con we shared video updates for both the DCC and 5E editions of Dungeon Denizens."
https://goodman-games.com/blog/2021/11/ ... ns-update/

Would be a shame if this was cancelled between November and now. I can't seem to find any recent info, though, so perhaps it was?
ThickSkullAdv
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by ThickSkullAdv »

fyi - check out the recently announced Kickstarter for Dungeon Denizens (tl;dr: 5E and DCC conversion)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/de ... n-denizens

Return to “Suggestion Box”