Feedback on "Juice Up Your Game" rules

Don’t just crawl through dungeons... make them sorry they ever met you!

Moderators: finarvyn, Luke Johnson

mxyzplk
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Feedback on "Juice Up Your Game" rules

Post by mxyzplk »

So I really like the impulse behind these, being an old Feng Shui fan. I do have some concerns/suggestions about the specific implementations though.

Mook rules - The problem here is that part of the beauty of the original mook rules (Feng Shui) was that you didn't have to track hp for mooks. Part of making a fight mookariffic is lowering their overhead for the DM.
At least the Maximize Spell for the casters kinda does this, because it normalizes damage to a constant rather than variable (saves notwithstanding), but the cleave/shot feats add more complexity not less! Perhaps for melee/missile the same deal applies, max damage, instead of the bonus feats. That helps a little with simplifying the rolling/math.
A true Feng Shui mook rule would be more like:
Spell (damage with save): if they fail their save by 5 or more, they die. if they fail their save but not by 5 or more, they're stunned for a round.
Weapon (or to-hit spell): if you exceed your to-hit by 5 or more, they die. if you hit but not by 5 or more, they're stunned for a round.
Although this might be not comparable, as saves don't go up like to-hits do. Since spells are a consumable resource, maybe remove the "5 or more"?

Big Badass (boss) rules: OK... Could be more flavorful. Also may be anticlimactic, if he succumbed to loads of debuffs, DoTs, etc... Not sure whether the intent is for those to turn off when he "dies" the first time...

Phat Lewt: there's one treasure item worth all the rest of the treasure combined. I like it as long as you can't cash it in; in WFF#1 they made the phat lewt essentially "soulbound" (WoW term) to handle that.

Finishing Moves: I don't really like the BAB/AC dependency here. Makes it hard for casters to "finish him, though there is the option to switch that to a to-hit vs. 11+Will save bonus for casters. And it's, you know, a little complicated. If it could more streamlined and more balanced... Ideas?
vagen
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by vagen »

I actually enjoy the rules as written, though I haven't had a chance to try them yet, some friends of mine and I are forming a group and were going to see how they work, though I like your suggestions and may use them as a basis for tweaking.

On Finishing moves, if you go back and look again, because I missed it the first couple of times too, Casters don't use their BAB, they add caster level. Which brings them up closer to fighters if they are pretty much straight casters.
For the Glory!
For the Money!
For theFun!!!
Treebore
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Treebore »

I like these rules too. As for Mooks they stay standing until I decide its time for them to die. Been doing that for 20 years now.
Castles and Crusades is my game of choice!
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

Treebore wrote:I like these rules too. As for Mooks they stay standing until I decide its time for them to die. Been doing that for 20 years now.
Heck, that's how I usually do my "bosses" too.
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]
Treebore
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Treebore »

mythfish wrote:
Treebore wrote:I like these rules too. As for Mooks they stay standing until I decide its time for them to die. Been doing that for 20 years now.
:lol:

Occasionally I do too.
Castles and Crusades is my game of choice!
joela
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

die, boss, die!

Post by joela »

Treebore wrote:
mythfish wrote:
:lol:

Occasionally I do too.
Likewise. To paraphrase marie antoinette, "let them feel sweat".
What do you mean no?

Return to “Wicked Fantasy Factory”