Dcc2 (vague Spoilers)

A forum for discussing the many DCC modules published under third edition rules, EXCEPT for Castle Whiterock, which has its own forum.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

sammael
Gongfarmer

Dcc2 (vague Spoilers)

Post by sammael »

First let me open with, I Enjoy the DCC series immensly, they are well done, and easily adaptable to my 3.5 Eberron campaign with only minor changes.

After a Total party wipeout in Blackguards revenge (party's fault, not the adventure :? "Cleric? what do we need a cleric for?" )

We have started a new party opening with DCC2 - modified to represent the Cult of the Dragon Below. very good story, I particularily like the twist with the saves in the last room. I want my players to walk away from this adventure with the knowledge that the madness of Xoriat is REAL, and can consume them.

I just have a few comments i wanted to make. Minor issues I have.

Specific to Dcc2.
The candle holders desperately need an attack. Since this room is shown on the map as a standard DCC football stadium sized room. 4 creatures that dont threaten any squares arnt gonna block anything. Im more mad at myself for not catching this before i played the encounter. Everyone just ran around them, and straight for the real threat.

Maps in general.
Whats with the gargantuan sized rooms?
the 1square=10" seems off enough. But if i just globally change it 1=5, (you know, to match that DnD game) some things are invariably off.

I love the look of the maps (espicially with the old school cyan) but i wish a little more thought was put into making the maps fit more with the adventure. I purchase pre-made adventures to modify specifically to fill out encounters and mapping. If my party is going for something, ill stick it at the bottom of someones pre-made temple and send them after it.
Its a bit time consuming for me to use a premade module that i have to remap everything to make a bit more sense.
Heck, the last room has one baddie, 20 feet (2 squares) from the chars when the enter. Yet the Room is 150 feet by 150 feet?

Again. I find the modules excellent, the storys imaginative, and the encounters innovative. I have purchased many DCC's and used most because they are excellent products. I do get the impression tho that the encounters sometimes seem to be writtin for a different rule system sometimes, and the statblocks have just been adjusted to 3.5. And that the maps are being done without not quite enough thought to either the story or the 3.5 movement rules.

So take this post as constructive criticism, or a customer review, or however you like.
I enjoy the series and will continue to purchase them. Its because i enjoy them so much i wanted to share my impressions with the few minor issues ive had.

Return to “DCC Modules - 3E”