Newbie DCC Question

A forum for discussing the many DCC modules published under third edition rules, EXCEPT for Castle Whiterock, which has its own forum.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

welland_warrior
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Newbie DCC Question

Post by welland_warrior »

Hi there,

I've noticed that some DCC mods have the cover stapled and others do not. Is there any logic to it? Also, do people take the covers off when they play the modules? Thanks! Welland-Warrior
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Ah, grasshopper, there is much to learn...! :D Sorry, that's just me being cheesy!

Back when I was young and rocks were still soft, D&D modules (AD&D had yet to be unleashed upon an unsuspecting world) came with mono-chromatic covers and said covers were not attached to the 8- or 16-page map key and backgrounds contained therein. They were loose so you could peruse the entire map without flipping back and forth past the pages.

Goodman Games, with infinite wisdom, saw fit to rekindle a spark of fondness in bitter, jaded, old gamers like myself by publishing some of their modules with the covers unattached as for these aforementioned aventure modules of old. Or else, the heavier staples were just a skosh beyond the budget at certain key points in the history of the company. :twisted:

Perhaps, only Mr. Goodman knows for sure....

Nurse... Nurse! Where're my meds?!
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
welland_warrior
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Oh I see. All the original stuff I have the covers are detached. I always thought it was nice to then use the outside cover as part of the DM screen if possible. I thought it interesting that some DCCs were connected to the module itself and others not. I appreciate you taking the time to post.
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

No problem. Hope it wasn't too snarky....
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

welland_warrior
Wild-Eyed Zealot

No worries, I appreciate the creative writing :)
Warduke
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Warduke »

i'm not certain but i think that the only dccs printed w/o staples in the spine are the ones with maps that reached across the spine.
Member of Fathead's Favorite Posters Team
welland_warrior
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Good observation, I will have to take a look...
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

Joseph Goodman puts all of the adventures together by hand. There was a period of time when Joseph had mis-placed his stapler. I believe that you'll find the DCCs without staples correspond to that time.

;)
Dark Oracle of Gaming
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

fathead wrote:Joseph Goodman puts all of the adventures together by hand. There was a period of time when Joseph had mis-placed his stapler. I believe that you'll find the DCCs without staples correspond to that time.

;)
Mr. Head's wisdom makes all clear.

That would also explain the very reasonable pricing.... :D

Jezza
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Jezza »

Hmmm.... my copy of DCC 17 is stapled, but that one has a spread across map. It came in the Dragon Cult boxed set, though.
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Jezza wrote:Hmmm.... my copy of DCC 17 is stapled, but that one has a spread across map. It came in the Dragon Cult boxed set, though.
A collectable variation no doubt.

Collect them all!

goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

The idea of wrap-around maps on the inside cover came out of several conversations with Harley, which is why you'll note that the modules with such maps are all his (#17, #12.5, #27, #28). Personally I like the idea of covers being separate from the modules, and it works for those maps. In 1980 I'm sure shopkeepers didn't have a problem with it, but in 2007 it's a pain for distributors. The covers often come loose during shipping, and then you end up with separated pieces of the same product. The solution is to shrink-wrap the modules, which we also tried. Then you have customers complaining that they can't access the shrink-wrapped module to see what's inside. So we shrink-wrapped them in 2's, with the thought process that most stores order 2+ copies of each DCC anyway, so they would survive shipping intact (due to shrink wrap), and the stores could remove the wrap and display them with covers separated, thus satisfying everyone. Unfortunately, many stores neglected to break the wrap. So we got customers explaining how they'd paid $10.99 but ended up with TWO copies of DCC #17 inside the wrap (thinking this was unintentional), and stores realizing a month later that they'd accidentally sold two copies for the price of one because they never took off the shrink wrap.

And thus, we came full circle, and started stapling the covers back on. It's a lot easier for everyone involved. :)

For those in the boxed set, you're right, we could have left them separated... note to self for next time.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
welland_warrior
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Well when I went to my local hobby shop in the early 1980s all the modules were shrink wrapped and you had to make a call on buying the module based on what you saw and read on the front and back cover. (I could be wrong but) I think WoTC still does this. I appreciate the interesting response. I always like to use the outside as a screen when running a game, particularly when the images on the front and back relate to situations in the games. Also, if I were making modules I would want my logo up staring at everybody for hours on end (I'm from a family of entrepreneurs).
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

I completely agree with welland_warrior. I wish all module covers were seperate from the module.

Shrink wrapping for me insures no one is going to peek in an adventure they are going through.

The art and the write up should be more than enough to sell good products!

Return to “DCC Modules - 3E”