Other old RPGs getting the deluxe MA Kickstarter treatment?

Comments on our other product lines: Dungeon Alphabet, Monster Alphabet, Cthulhu Alphabet, How to Write Adventure Modules That Don't Suck, and more...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Blood Axe
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: The Portal

Other old RPGs getting the deluxe MA Kickstarter treatment?

Post by Blood Axe »

What are your thoughts on some other old RPGs getting that deluxe treatment? Reprint of the old rules, art, old articles, etc.

Gangbusters, Boot Hill, Star Frontiers, even obscure games like Bunnies & Burrows or others.

How can we go about finding out who owns the rights to such games?

Any thoughts or ideas, suggestions?
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
DM Cojo
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Re: Other old RPGs getting the deluxe MA Kickstarter treatme

Post by DM Cojo »

I would totally go for a Star Frontiers deluxe version if it included old Dragon articles and supplements like Zebulon's guide and Knight Hawks rules. But I imagine WOTC still owns the rights to it?
DM Cojo
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Re: Other old RPGs getting the deluxe MA Kickstarter treatme

Post by DM Cojo »

Per the U.S. Copyright Office FAQ page:

How long does a copyright last?
The term of copyright for a particular work depends on several factors, including whether it has been published, and, if so, the date of first publication. As a general rule, for works created after January 1, 1978, copyright protection lasts for the life of the author plus an additional 70 years. For an anonymous work, a pseudonymous work, or a work made for hire, the copyright endures for a term of 95 years from the year of its first publication or a term of 120 years from the year of its creation, whichever expires first. For works first published prior to 1978, the term will vary depending on several factors. To determine the length of copyright protection for a particular work, consult chapter 3 of the Copyright Act (title 17 of the United States Code). More information on the term of copyright can be found in Circular 15a, Duration of Copyright, and Circular 1, Copyright Basics.

Do I have to renew my copyright?

No. Works created on or after January 1, 1978, are not subject to renewal registration. As to works published or registered prior to January 1, 1978, renewal registration is optional after 28 years but does provide certain legal advantages. For information on how to file a renewal application as well as the legal benefit for doing so, see Circular 15, Renewal of Copyright, and Circular 15a, Duration of Copyright.

So I am guessing since MA was published before 1/1/78 (1976?) if WOTC didn't renew the copyright, then it reverted to Mr. Ward. Sadly, Star Frontiers and other games I like were published after that cutoff.

Return to “System Neutral Products and More”