Haiiii-Ya!

Comments on our other product lines: Dungeon Alphabet, Monster Alphabet, Cthulhu Alphabet, How to Write Adventure Modules That Don't Suck, and more...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

joela
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Haiiii-Ya!

Post by joela »

Haiiii-Ya!
Cartoon Martial Arts Combat

Details? Example: What system does it use?
What do you mean no?
BKMcDevitt
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Oooh, Ooooh, I got a thread!

Post by BKMcDevitt »

Ok, so I get excited easily. :D.

Thanks for the question, Joela.

Haiiii-Ya! chargen is dirt simple: divide 10 points between three attributes (MIND, Muscles, Moves), choose a Fighting Style, buy some Powers using from a pool if 200 Chi Points, and viola, you have a Fighter ready to go.

Haiiiii-Ya! combat uses a custom system of rolling 2d6, aiming for a target number of 8 or higher, then rolling 1d6 to determine Offensive Successes and another 1d6 to determine Defensive Successes. Simply Add up allyour Offensive Successes and subtract your opponent's Defensive Successes, then index your total by your Muscles X 10.

For example, if you have a MSL of 4 and get 4 Offensive Successes, you do (4 X 4 X 10) 160 points of damage, and knock your opponent for 150 feet of knockback (fifty feet per 50 points of damage, rounded down to the nearest whole fraction of 50).

Each fight goes on for a set amount of rounds, then whoever has taken the LEAST damage by the end of the last round wins. So basically, every player can have their Fighter in there slugging, and there is no risk of annoying CCG-style "killer combos" that eliminate players in the first or second round.

I hope this helps answer your questions!

Thanks, Brad
tadk
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Hi Brad

Post by tadk »

hi Brad

nice to see you once again

Tad
Over 30 years spent gaming, all sorts of systems, feel free to ask me anything, no guarantees I will have an answer.
BKMcDevitt
Far-Sighted Wanderer

More Silliness from Haiiiii-Ya!

Post by BKMcDevitt »

Gotta have Zombies!

Brad

Zombies
MSL: 4 Rank: 0
MVS: 1 Style: none
MIND: 0 Side: Bad Guy
Hits On: 8-12
Hit Points: 40
Signature Move: none
Quote: Groans, Moans, and the sound of body parts falling off
Powers: none
Energy: 50 Skills: 0
Profile: Because every game needs Zombies. We are pretty sure there is a Mandatory Zombie Rule somewhere in the Game Designer’s Bylaws that every RPG published MUST include some Shambling Dead, no exceptions allowed, and we are not ones to buck the rules. So here we have them in all their mindless, lurching, unwashed glory… and no, I won’t make any comparisons to Gamers.
Zombies are almost always present in scads. If the setting of the fight is a cemetery, one new Zombie will appear every round and move towards any potential meal (i.e, the Fighters) at a rate of 1 Hex per round.
If summoned by a Bad Guy to act as Thugs, double the number for Zombies. The Bad Guy player must be responsible for all his Zombies’ actions.
For example, a Rank 2 Bad Guy could call on 4 Thugs usually. The same Bad Guy could call on 8 Zombies (yes, a Rank 6 Bad Guy could summon 24 Zombies).

BKMcDevitt
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by BKMcDevitt »

Hey, thought some of you might want to know that the combat standees for Haiiiii-Ya! are done... no less than 25 standees to bedevil the other Fighters with, including Thugs, Cute Schoolgirls, Zombies, UFO's and even Llamas, all ready to be used as weapons!

Yes, with Haiiiii-Ya!, you can finally find out how much damage getting his by a sheep does!
joela
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Re: Oooh, Ooooh, I got a thread!

Post by joela »

BKMcDevitt wrote:Ok, so I get excited easily. :D.
That's what your SO said, too :wink:

Kidding aside, thanks for the reply. I'll look into the system. Haiii-Ya! (HY!) may be good as a one-shot for my monthly boardgame group. Especially with zombies. Can't have enough of zombies :D
What do you mean no?
BKMcDevitt
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: Haiiii-Ya!

Post by BKMcDevitt »

i have no delusions-- and i say so in the foreword-- that Hy will be anyone's ongoing game: it is not going to replace DnD, Vampire, or Battletech.. it is a quickie game written for laughs with a solid game system, designed to facilitate over-the-top action. So s an occasional guest at a boargame night, Hy is perfect.

Oh: as an example of how over the top it can get: during playtesting, my Fighter once took 15,000 points of damage.

In one round.

Granted that is an extreme example, but...

my guy was all right. Bruised, but all right. Next round, he did a (paltry) 8000 points of damage back. My opponent was.. not impressed.
joela
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

size

Post by joela »

BKMcDevitt wrote:i have no delusions-- and i say so in the foreword-- that Hy will be anyone's ongoing game: it is not going to replace DnD, Vampire, or Battletech.. it is a quickie game written for laughs with a solid game system, designed to facilitate over-the-top action. So s an occasional guest at a boargame night, Hy is perfect.

Oh: as an example of how over the top it can get: during playtesting, my Fighter once took 15,000 points of damage.

In one round.

Granted that is an extreme example, but...

my guy was all right. Bruised, but all right. Next round, he did a (paltry) 8000 points of damage back. My opponent was.. not impressed.
"15,000"? "8,000"? Sounds like a powergamer's wet dream. Or the exchange rate between the dollar and some foreign currency (i.e., "My dollar is worth what pesos/lira/baht?!?" :lol:)
What do you mean no?
BKMcDevitt
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by BKMcDevitt »

please never, ever use "Gamer" and "wet dream" in the same sentence again...

joela
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by joela »

BKMcDevitt wrote:please never, ever use "Gamer" and "wet dream" in the same sentence again...

Okay, I won't say it. But show it...? :wink:

Image[/quote]
What do you mean no?
BKMcDevitt
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by BKMcDevitt »

no, no, no, in the Haiiiii-Ya! universe, only Bad Guys, Thugs, and Kevin Costner are allowed to be bald. All Schoolgirls, are required to have pig-tails. Preferrably ones down to their ankles.

Brad
joela
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by joela »

BKMcDevitt wrote:no, no, no, in the Haiiiii-Ya! universe, only Bad Guys, Thugs, and Kevin Costner are allowed to be bald. All Schoolgirls, are required to have pig-tails. Preferrably ones down to their ankles.

Brad
Bald Kevin Coster in (bad) Britney Spears drag :lol:

What do you mean no?
BKMcDevitt
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by BKMcDevitt »

Cue YouTube screeching...

"Leave Britney Alone!"

:D
joela
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

What's next?

Post by joela »

BKMcDevitt wrote:Cue YouTube screeching...

"Leave Britney Alone!"

:D
Moving on before we get absolutely silly... :wink:

So, what's the next project for Haiii-Ya! More supps? Or are you working on a 4E DCC mod?
What do you mean no?
BKMcDevitt
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by BKMcDevitt »

I think Joseph will agree that we want to see how well HY sells before we firmly commit to any supplements, and I can't really see it being ported into 4E effectively: doing so would lose so much of its flavor, it would be like 'porting Toon into Call of Cthulhu..

though it would be funny to imagine how Bugs Bunny would respond to seeing any of the 1000 Forms of Nyarlathotep...

However, if it does take off the way we hope it will, I will start seriously cranking on Haiiiii-Ya!: More Kicks!

Now.. about Bugs losing 1d100 Sanity, when i don't think he has more than 20 SAN anyhow...
joela
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

bugs' sanity

Post by joela »

BKMcDevitt wrote: Now.. about Bugs losing 1d100 Sanity, when i don't think he has more than 20 SAN anyhow...
I can see Bugs putting bows on Cthulhu's tentacles.... :lol:
What do you mean no?
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

BKMcDevitt wrote: doing so would lose so much of its flavor, it would be like 'porting Toon into Call of Cthulhu..
Now that sounds like an idea made of Pure Win (tm).
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: bugs' sanity

Post by GnomeBoy »

joela wrote:
BKMcDevitt wrote: Now.. about Bugs losing 1d100 Sanity, when i don't think he has more than 20 SAN anyhow...
I can see Bugs putting bows on Cthulhu's tentacles.... :lol:
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it'd be our pal 'thu who'd be the one making a sanity check when Bugs got through with him... :mrgreen:

And -- how's this for totally random? -- will ICFTLLLS ever be revived?
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
BKMcDevitt
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by BKMcDevitt »

Oh Good Lord... I think I referred to Late Show as ICFTLLLS exactly once, since that is one of the least user-friendly acronyms ever. Not to mention that I can't even keep all the letters in it straight!

So, to answer your question: Late Show, sadly, is VERY much a dead system, but that is not stopping me from coming up with all sorts of goofy new ideas, which i hope I can work with Goodman to bring to your gaming table in the future...

As for Cthulhu and Bugs... I dunno who would come out on top, as long as Speedy Gonzales ended getting squished under Cthulhu's foot

"Areba Are..."SPLAT.

One can only hope....
Supercheese
Gongfarmer

Post by Supercheese »

Wow I just played a quick game of Haiiiii-Ya! With the pre-gened characters tie-or-kyo didn't take any damage the whole fight and earned 2,500 chi!!!!!!!!
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Add another 1,000 Chi for thread necromancy.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
BKMcDevitt
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by BKMcDevitt »

Wow.. someone is still playing Haiiiii-Ya! out there... my day is officially made!

Return to “System Neutral Products and More”