Road Crew 2021 Poster: tell me why?

Share links and comments about your favorite A-R-T and the cool folks who make it. Help other A-R-T fans find cool new A-R-T-ists out there on the net!

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

serendipitous
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Road Crew 2021 Poster: tell me why?

Post by serendipitous »

Road Crew 2021.

Really, guys?

This seems, I don't know, particularly tone-deaf so close in time to #MeToo and #BlackLivesMatter?
" ... the things I am going to say are true and I am a force for truth and goodness, dammit, and I will beat anyone unconscious if they say otherwise."
-- The Angry GM
serendipitous
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Re: Road Crew 2021 Poster: tell me why?

Post by serendipitous »

Illustrative simplification:

Hot Women + Scary Monster = Cool! if you're a dude.
Sex + Violence = Vomit! if you're a chick.
" ... the things I am going to say are true and I am a force for truth and goodness, dammit, and I will beat anyone unconscious if they say otherwise."
-- The Angry GM
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

I think I qualify as a 'dude' and it's not what I'd rather have seen.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
serendipitous
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by serendipitous »

GnomeBoy wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:34 am I think I qualify as a 'dude' and it's not what I'd rather have seen.
Thanks for replying :) And: fair enough.
-- The Angry GM
serendipitous
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by serendipitous »

OK. A tiny part of me is worried that a response to my concern might be to Black-ify one of the women by slapping an afro on her, blinging her up with Amazonian armbands and pasting some creepy dude's face all over her abdomen so that his goatee drapes down between her legs. Which would be awful.

So, to be clear, I think that would be a terrible idea.

Oh, never mind, they did it already on page 365.

Seriously, though. I'm pretty sure this is a case where mixing up the ethnicities wouldn't be empowering to ... anybody.
-- The Angry GM
KJ Obrien
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by KJ Obrien »

serendipitous wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:28 am Road Crew 2021.

Really, guys?

This seems, I don't know, particularly tone-deaf so close in time to #MeToo and #BlackLivesMatter?
:roll:
serendipitous
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by serendipitous »

KJ Obrien wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 8:08 pm
serendipitous wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:28 am Road Crew 2021.

Really, guys?

:roll:
Well, I've got my bonafides. Been grabbed and forcibly kissed by a guy in a busy airport with plenty of witnesses and nobody interfered, rebuked him or sympathized with me. Been beaten by another guy. So I'm good with :roll:, seeing as it's hands-off and doesn't leave marks.
-- The Angry GM
KJ Obrien
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by KJ Obrien »

I'm sorry that happened to you and that you feel the need to weaponize your experiences against others' creativity. I hope one day the world can be so sterile and compliant that you'll have nothing left to save us from. All the best.
serendipitous
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by serendipitous »

KJ Obrien wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 10:35 am I'm sorry that happened to you and that you feel the need to weaponize your experiences against others' creativity. I hope one day the world can be so sterile and compliant that you'll have nothing left to save us from. All the best.
KJ Obrien, thank you for responding to my post.

If I'm reading you correctly: yeah, it sucks when folks weaponize their experiences. Well, usually. And stories can be powerful, and they always have a narrative intent or bias, and they can be told with the will to harm.

And I think we agree that it would be a shame (not to mention stultifyingly boring) to live in a world devoid of difference, and opinion, and debate.

Are you an artist? If so, thank you also for your work.

Whether you're an artist or not, it seems we disagree on what good artistic practice is. Yay! Disagreement! We can celebrate fertile noncompliance in our own ways! It's appropriate to Memorial Day weekend, I think: I have always loved -- and am profoundly grateful for -- the commitment of the American soldier to defend -- to the death -- the citizenry's right to say things abhorrent to the soldier herself.
-- The Angry GM

Return to “All things A-R-T related”