Who's playing?

DCC Empire of the East is a setting for the Dungeon Crawl Classics Role-Playing Game that offers a portal to the singular world of the novels The Broken Lands, The Black Mountains, and Changeling Earth by Fred Saberhagen, and officially licensed by his estate.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Slartibartfast630
Gongfarmer
FLGS: Games Plus

Who's playing?

Post by Slartibartfast630 »

I just got this book and associated novels. Working my way through both. Have a few questions.

I know The Dying Earth is sucking a lot of oxygen out of the room, but how many use this book for games?

Which system is the consensus using? DCC or MCC. Not far into the novels but it seems that MCC would work best for flavor.

Thanks in advance.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: Who's playing?

Post by GnomeBoy »

It reads to me much more like a straight-on fantasy story than a post-apocalyptic one... it's not set in a radioactive wasteland with rampant mutation. Sure there's some old technology, but hardly MCC levels of lost tech. It's got demons, and even if they are created by mutation, as they appear is as, well, demons, not mutated horrors.

Haven't read Changling Earth yet, so maybe my opinion will change, but I think DCC is the way to go with this, primarily because the broadly common low-level of tech and having magic around.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Slartibartfast630
Gongfarmer
FLGS: Games Plus

Post by Slartibartfast630 »

Thanks for that. I've not finished reading either the novel nor the source book. I was thinking it would be better with MCC. Now I'll really have to pay closer attention. 😁
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

I read the original novel (more than one? It was a thick book) back in the 1980's and remember it fondly. My take at the time was that it felt like a standard fantasy novel, only with an occasional tech thing. Made for a neat combo. I rebought the book recently but haven't gotten around to reading it. since I'm fixated on Dying Earth again.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Greyjoy
Gongfarmer
FLGS: Le Valet de Coeur

Post by Greyjoy »

My adventures in Saberhagen's world begin to-mo-rrow !
Wish me luck ! It will be the 0-lvl funnel in the book for friends not really experienced in rpgs but with solid imagination. I'm always happy to be back to DCC. I'll let you know how it has finished.

By the way. Does it exist an "art-book" for this world ? I would be happy to have lots of images to show during play.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

finarvyn wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:30 am I read the original novel (more than one? It was a thick book)...
The original novels were slim books from the late-60s/70s -- The Broken Lands, The Black Mountains, Changeling Earth -- later compiled into one book, "Empire of the East".
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
King of Elfland
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Top Tier Boardgames

Post by King of Elfland »

Read the novels earlier this year and liked them enough the buy the gaming supplement, but it hasn't arrived yet. Also just backed the Dying Earth KS so I'm looking at a lot of futuristic goodness in my future so to speak.
"The voices sound deadly
Sometimes I hear
Echoes of Empire
Spread Throughout the Skies"---Blue Oyster Cult
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

GnomeBoy wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:24 am
finarvyn wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:30 am I read the original novel (more than one? It was a thick book)...
The original novels were slim books from the late-60s/70s -- The Broken Lands, The Black Mountains, Changeling Earth -- later compiled into one book, "Empire of the East".
I'm pretty sure that's what I read. The big thick paperback in the late 70's or early 80's.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
King of Elfland
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Top Tier Boardgames

Post by King of Elfland »

Got my Empire of the East book today and I'm loving it so far. Only bad thing was that the pdf code didn't work with Drive Thru. I bought in on Ebay and they claimed it was new and it looks new, but I suspect whoever bought it already downloaded the pdf then flipped the book. But all I really wanted was the character sheets (I hate readings pdfs), which I just found here anyhow so it's all good.

Lots of ideas for extended futuristic or interplanetary games going through my head. Thinking of a sort of adventure path where characters must travel to different planets/worlds to assemble an artifact needed to vanquish an evil demigod or demon lord on their own plane.
"The voices sound deadly
Sometimes I hear
Echoes of Empire
Spread Throughout the Skies"---Blue Oyster Cult

Return to “DCC Empire of the East”