Of Rote Magic, Misfires, Corruption and Taint

DCC Dying Earth is both a sourcebook and a setting for the Dungeon Crawl Classics Role-Playing Game that offers a portal to the singular world of The Dying Earth novels by Jack Vance. Officially licensed by his estate, the Kickstarter will launch later in 2020 and the product will release in 2021...!

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Aud
Ill-Fated Peasant

Of Rote Magic, Misfires, Corruption and Taint

Post by Aud »

Greetings!

I've been reading through DCC Dying Earth and have been trying to wrap my head around how magic works.

I am not sure I understand the Magician fully and could use some help wrapping my head around it.

How would a Magician ever suffer a misfire, corruption or patron taint if they are using rote magic to cast a spell? It seems if they roll a 1 to learn, they need to roll wizardly objurgation but that is it. It seems odd, but the text refers to misfires, corruption and taint in multiple locations as if these are regular things that will still be happening. If they are casting at a static spell check after learning the spell, how would they ever get a corruption/misfire/taint result?

The only time I could see misfire, corruption or taint occurring is if they were casting via a Sandestin since casting via a Sandestin uses a 'regular' spell check from what I can tell (even then, they still ignore lost/failure results).

I can't help but feel like I'm missing something here, someone help me out!
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: Of Rote Magic, Misfires, Corruption and Taint

Post by GnomeBoy »

Aud, I think you got your answer on Discord, but I'll carry it over here for anyone reading this thread:

They can come from certain spell provenances, spell creation/modification, and if they roll double 1s on the amplification die.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham

Return to “DCC Dying Earth”