Creatures of the Dying Earth

DCC Dying Earth is both a sourcebook and a setting for the Dungeon Crawl Classics Role-Playing Game that offers a portal to the singular world of The Dying Earth novels by Jack Vance. Officially licensed by his estate, the Kickstarter will launch later in 2020 and the product will release in 2021...!

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Fenris Ulfhamr
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: -

Creatures of the Dying Earth

Post by Fenris Ulfhamr »

I read The Compleat Dying Earth some time ago and obviously loved it- especially the creatures. Has anyone found/made stats or illustrations of visps, hoons, and the like?

Black Kylessa (c) LV 2 Wizard (orphan)
Str7/8 (-1) Agi17(+2) Sta9(0) Per6(-1) Int15(+1) Luc15(+1) AC13 (padded armor, fumble d8) HP7 Sling+2 (1d4-1) or dagger+/-1 (1d4-1) Spd30 Init+2 R+3 F0 W0 Ragdoll (Mara), Pony, 48cp 602gp Common, Chaos, Halfling, Dwarven
Animal Summoning 64 Wealful/Woeful magic (erupts from the earth),Charm Person 83 Blue Star (black beam), Runic Alphabet, Mortal 43 no change, Spider Climb 53 no change (six extra eyes),Magic Missle 94 Fine Control (meteors),Chill Touch 50 no change (skeletal hands)
Mofte
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: Creatures of the Dying Earth

Post by Mofte »

Well there is the Dying Earth RPG, it got books for creatures and demons. You can get them over at DriveThruRPG.

I don't know if the stats are convertibel to DCC RPG.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Anything can be converted.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Mofte
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Mofte »

Raven_Crowking wrote:Anything can be converted.
True. I should've added "easily" :wink:
catseye yellow
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by catseye yellow »

i might go for a deodant class for dcc. it seems i have a soft spot for cannibalistic racial builds.
catseye yellow
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by catseye yellow »

also, another question for forumites:

how would you vance-ify dcc? it is obvious that vance is strong influence on dcc (not as strong as lieber and moorcock but strong) but it seems that his prose (and especially (anti)heroes populating it) is the least suited to be emulated by dcc rules as they are. or am i erring on the side of fidelity?

i would probably allow only two classes: wizard and rogues. also, maybe i would ditch corruption and taint and replace invoke patron and patron bond with some sandestin stuff. maybe even try to adapt old sha'ir rules for genies to dcc. something like that.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Mofte wrote:
Raven_Crowking wrote:Anything can be converted.
True. I should've added "easily" :wink:
I don't own the Dying Earth rpg, so I can't do direct conversions for you. However, I would imagine that statting out creatures from Vance isn't too difficult. If I get some free time, I might stat one or three and post them to my blog. If I do so, I will include a link here.
catseye yellow wrote:how would you vance-ify dcc? it is obvious that vance is strong influence on dcc (not as strong as lieber and moorcock but strong) but it seems that his prose (and especially (anti)heroes populating it) is the least suited to be emulated by dcc rules as they are. or am i erring on the side of fidelity?

i would probably allow only two classes: wizard and rogues. also, maybe i would ditch corruption and taint and replace invoke patron and patron bond with some sandestin stuff. maybe even try to adapt old sha'ir rules for genies to dcc. something like that.
In the future of The Dying Earth, the known spells of DCC's heyday have been forgotten, but you can impress upon your mind a single spell check result. The total spell check result you can hold in memory is a function of your Wizard level, your Intelligence, and the spell level, as follows:

You can hold in your mind spell check results equal to your Intelligence score times your Wizard level. If a spell is over 1st level, it costs an additional 5 points per spell level over 1. Thus, a 5th level spell cast at a 20 result would cost 40 points. Learning spells initially works as normal in DCC. Impressing a spell result on your mind takes 1 hour per spell level, and requires an Intelligence check (1d20 + Int mod + Wizard level) vs DC 10 + spell level. If you fail, you can start again.

Mercurial magic and manifestation are determined for each version of a spell, and affects anyone who learns/uses that version in the same way. The spell version, with its accompanying mercurial magic and manifestation, create a unique, named, version of a spell.

Potential patrons have long ago dismissed the dying Earth, so both patron bond and invoke patron cannot be successfully cast (unless the judge chooses to create an exception as part of an adventure).

Sandestin stuff would have to be developed.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
catseye yellow
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by catseye yellow »

it seems a little bit too complicated even if true to the setting.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

catseye yellow wrote:it seems a little bit too complicated even if true to the setting.
It would be less complicated in play, where you would simply note something along the lines of: Phandal's Wolf Call, Animal Summoning 13-14 result, MM 19 auditory feedback (loud "wolf whistle"), man. animal erupts from ground fully formed, p. 129, 12 points.

Another example: Catseye's Wave of Mud and Ashes, Transmute Earth 18-19 result, MM 74 tide of ash 40' (4d14), man. earth rumbles at the caster's feet, p. 244, 33 points.

Since the judge can easily control what spells are available, by placing them to be won/stolen/found, the system would effectively be very similar to that of AD&D 1e or Holmes Basic. There would be a little more thought required for the wizard PC, because of the points.

I don't think that this is necessary, mind you, but if you wanted to "Vance up" the magic system, it would certainly work. In games I have run, players have renamed spells for their PCs based on the manifestation and mercurial magic result.
SoBH pbp:

catseye yellow
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by catseye yellow »

Raven_Crowking wrote:
catseye yellow wrote:it seems a little bit too complicated even if true to the setting.
It would be less complicated in play, where you would simply note something along the lines of: Phandal's Wolf Call, Animal Summoning 13-14 result, MM 19 auditory feedback (loud "wolf whistle"), man. animal erupts from ground fully formed, p. 129, 12 points.

Another example: Catseye's Wave of Mud and Ashes, Transmute Earth 18-19 result, MM 74 tide of ash 40' (4d14), man. earth rumbles at the caster's feet, p. 244, 33 points.

Since the judge can easily control what spells are available, by placing them to be won/stolen/found, the system would effectively be very similar to that of AD&D 1e or Holmes Basic. There would be a little more thought required for the wizard PC, because of the points.

I don't think that this is necessary, mind you, but if you wanted to "Vance up" the magic system, it would certainly work. In games I have run, players have renamed spells for their PCs based on the manifestation and mercurial magic result.
now i get it. it would actually speed up the play but beef up prep. i like it as vance alternative.
Fenris Ulfhamr
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: -

Post by Fenris Ulfhamr »

Hail and well met, denizens of the dying Earth! I resurrect this thread via Senfir's Redoubtable Reambulation for the purpose of predisposing you to new evidence. Having scryed the preemptive texts of the Dying Earth set forth via Kickstarter, I still have need of descriptions if not illustrations of the more ubiquitous specimens like hoons, wheriots, and mermelants, if not their vital statistics. I fear being without ample description when the moment of their appearance may arise.

Black Kylessa (c) LV 2 Wizard (orphan)
Str7/8 (-1) Agi17(+2) Sta9(0) Per6(-1) Int15(+1) Luc15(+1) AC13 (padded armor, fumble d8) HP7 Sling+2 (1d4-1) or dagger+/-1 (1d4-1) Spd30 Init+2 R+3 F0 W0 Ragdoll (Mara), Pony, 48cp 602gp Common, Chaos, Halfling, Dwarven
Animal Summoning 64 Wealful/Woeful magic (erupts from the earth),Charm Person 83 Blue Star (black beam), Runic Alphabet, Mortal 43 no change, Spider Climb 53 no change (six extra eyes),Magic Missle 94 Fine Control (meteors),Chill Touch 50 no change (skeletal hands)

Return to “DCC Dying Earth”