Mighty Deeds for Monster

Are you new to DCC? Are you loaded down with questions to ask before you begin play? Explore this section for answers and insights -- and ask your own questions -- about getting started with the Dungeon Crawl Classics Roleplaying Game...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Tabulazero II
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Xenomorph

Mighty Deeds for Monster

Post by Tabulazero II »

Can a Monster emulate a Mighty Deed and how do you rule for it ?

Sometime the Ogre wants to push asside the party's fighter to have a pop at the squishy wizard behind.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: Mighty Deeds for Monster

Post by GnomeBoy »

I would not dilute the Mighty Deed by giving it out to monsters.

The Ogre wants to shove someone out of the way? That takes an action. If they have more than 1 Action Die, they can do that and then attack, too, in the same round.

What I have sometimes done is give a monsters a very specific ability, and have it work mechanically like a Mighty Deed -- but it has no where near the versatility of the true Mighty Deed of Arms mechanic.

Don't think of Might Deeds as the ability to do stuff other than attack. It's the ability to stuff while you also attack. Anybody can do stuff other than attacking, but it takes an action (Action Die) to do it. The Warrior can get stuff done while also pounding her foes into paste.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Jim Skach
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Jim Skach »

What characters can do is different than what monsters can do. It's one of the main shifts away from the d20 standard approach of the early 2000's that DCC embraces (and I personally love).

Having said that, take a look at examples in modules and in the monsters and how they handle any special attack. In your specific example, I might add an SP to the standard Ogre that was something like Smash: 1d4 damage, opponent moved up to 10' away, STR Check vs Action Die to avoid; if STR Check successful, Ogre at -2 AC next round. Or something like that.
Pipeline
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: The Internet

Post by Pipeline »

There is at least one official DCC module with a monster with a mighty deed.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Mistakes happen. :wink:
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
BanjoJohn
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
FLGS: there are a few but I dont really consider any of them as my main flgs

Post by BanjoJohn »

While I do not think monsters should have "mighty deeds" exactly like how a warrior does. I do think they can be cool by giving them special moves/attacks. My Canardian monsters have a special "duck-bill peck" attack that triggers a second follow up attack if they roll high enough because they "temporarily stun you with such a furious bill-pecking that they find an opening to attack you with their weapon right away"
Pesky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Pesky »

A monster *can* have a mighty deed. But, why complicate the matter? Monsters get to break “the rules.” If you want a monster to do something, then let it cost an action and (maybe) call for a saving throw. Maybe it only happens on a natural 18-20. Maybe it’s a standard attack. Etc. FWIW, I’ve found that giving monsters abilities that are unlike anything a PC can emulate increases the fun at the table. YMMV, of course. Hope it helps!
Terry Olson
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Do whatever best makes the monster work for you. That can be an emulation of a PC ability, such as a Mighty Deed, or something completely our of your head. At the end of the day, what works for you is the only thing that is important.

In terms of making DCC monsters, this may help:

https://ravencrowking.blogspot.com/2018 ... crawl.html
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.

Return to “DCC College - New Judges Start Here”