Super Unicorn to Design DragonMech

General talk about Goodman Games. If it doesn't go anywhere else, post it here. Includes news, announcements, questions, gossip, and so on.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Super Unicorn to Design DragonMech

Post by goodmangames »

Super Unicorn to Design DragonMech for Goodman Games

February 23, 2004 -- Goodman Games is pleased to announce that leading graphic design firm Super Unicorn has agreed to provide art direction and graphic design for DragonMech. Super Unicorn is renowned for its award-winning design on best-selling role playing games such as Dungeon & Dragons and Mutants & Masterminds. DragonMech, a world of medieval fantasy mechs powered by steam, magic, or the labor of a thousand slaves, was recently announced by Goodman Games for July release.

"Super Unicorn was founded to work on projects like these. We're working hand-in-hand with Joe Goodman to put together the finest medieval sci-fi game ever put on paper," said Sean Glenn, Creator Director for Super Unicorn.

"Super Unicorn's work is known by more gamers than any other graphic design firm," said Joseph Goodman, President of Goodman Games and author of DragonMech. "They bring the experience of working on third edition Dungeons & Dragons, the Star Wars Roleplaying Game, and the Star Wars Trading Card Game. Their work on D&D changed the way a whole generation of gamers see fantasy role-playing.

"Then they turned around and did it again with Mutants & Masterminds, redefining the way fans experience the superhero genre," continued Goodman. "And from what I've seen so far on DragonMech, they're about to do it a third time."

"One of the strengths of Super Unicorn is our ability to go above and beyond the ordinary. We take an original idea like DragonMech and give it the visually stimulating look that the concept demands," said Rick Achberger, Lead Designer for Super Unicorn.

DragonMech is set in a medieval fantasy world destroyed by relentless lunar meteor storms. To survive, the surface races have used magical and mechanical means to build thousand-foot-tall city-mechs, which now house most of civilization. Kingdoms have been replaced by mobile mechdoms, and the mounted knight is anachronistic in the face of steam-powered combat mechs. While lunar creatures launch invasions from the skies, fleets of smoke-belching steam-mechs battle for scarce supplies of wood, steel, and coal.

More information on DragonMech can be found at http://www.goodman-games.com. More information on Super Unicorn can be found at http://www.superunicorn.com. Contact goodmangames@mindspring.com for questions regarding this press release.

DragonMech is a trademark of Goodman Games. The content of the DragonMech rule book is copyright (c) 2004 Goodman Games. Dungeons & Dragons is a trademark of Wizards of the Coast, Inc. Mutants & Masterminds is a trademark of Green Ronin Publishing.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
RSKennan
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by RSKennan »

I've been excited about this setting since you first told me about it, and the art is looking awesome (I've used the two color pictures you have as desktop backgrounds). It's got this excellent alien quality. What's that doglike creature without the eyes? Obviously some sort of moon-beast ; ) , but any details?
Proud Graduate of Parallel University.
Ken Hart
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Ken Hart »

Just curious: What other gaming products has Super Unicorn worked on? I really liked the two samples we've seen so far.

--Ken
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

RSKennan wrote:I've been excited about this setting since you first told me about it, and the art is looking awesome (I've used the two color pictures you have as desktop backgrounds). It's got this excellent alien quality. What's that doglike creature without the eyes? Obviously some sort of moon-beast ; ) , but any details?
Cool, glad you like it! The "big white thing with the mouth" is a lunar dragon. You can't see it too well in the web images, but there are human skeletons on the ground in that picture. That's for scale -- the barbagula mech (pictured in that image) is a relatively small mech, and then of course you have the lunar dragons, which can grow to immense sizes.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Ken Hart wrote:Just curious: What other gaming products has Super Unicorn worked on? I really liked the two samples we've seen so far.
Well, D&D for starters -- the guys now calling themselves Super Unicorn were graphic designers for D&D 3.0. And they did all the art direction and graphic design for Mutants & Masterminds from Green Ronin (which is a great book, BTW). They do good work!
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Mr. Author
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Mr. Author »

Yeah, I noticed. I do like the look of the 3.0 books (I can even excuse the reflection in the little gemstones of the office and fellow who's scanning the sculpture, only since it still manages to look cool).

Hopefully they'll pull off something neat....oh, who am I kidding, I know they will!
(insert witty phrase)

Return to “Goodman Games General”