Help Kickstart the Ainereve Campaign setting!

General talk about Goodman Games. If it doesn't go anywhere else, post it here. Includes news, announcements, questions, gossip, and so on.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

dancross
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Help Kickstart the Ainereve Campaign setting!

Post by dancross »

The Eldritch Role-Playing game was launched in 2008, published by Goodman Games. Created by Dan Cross and Randall Petras, the game system is written for gamers who enjoy having myriad character options, exciting and diverse action scenes; all without losing a narrative focus. Adventuring campaigns are about the development of characters into true world-shaking heroes. It's unique combat system and flexible character generation system was well-received, as one fan on RPGnow put it, "...Eldritch is a worthy system for anyone looking for something different, open and flexible. It feels like the start of something. A great idea that is slowly catching on."

Alas, the developers of the game are on their own with production costs (the benefits of owning all copyright can be a double-edged sword!). Therefore, the project needs Eldritch fans to help the campaign setting see the light of day. The game world of Ainerêve was professionally written almost five years ago by Peter Schaefer. It is open-ended, "sandbox" kind of setting. In this book are detailed descriptions of the two nations of Maedoen and Piusarmorum, and the vast and mysterious Forest of Meath between them. This book concerns itself with a very small section of Ainerêve, involving three unique lands: the Forest of Meath, a place defined by the Celtic mythology and its eventual transformation into Celtic Christianity; Piusarmorum, defined by Christianity during the time of the Crusades and peopled by a lost company of Templar Knights; and Maedoen, a kingdom founded on the Celtic/Welsh that preceded Roman occupation.

We hope to produce this in PDF form, print if possible. We need to pay the original author upon publication, hire on some artists (such as Eric Bergeron, who did the cover concept above), and make sure we have professional layout. Once this is done, the original game will be completed as intended. We have 30 days to get this project funded (so by June)

Once this thing is funded, I can move it along the production pipeline rapidly.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/eld ... dritch-rpg

-Dan Cross
dancross
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Re: Help Kickstart the Ainereve Campaign setting!

Post by dancross »

14 days to go. If you pledge, and we meet our goal, the product can be layout with art in under two months. The setting is already written. Eldritch fans, for more information, see below...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/eld ... dritch-rpg
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

I'm confused, Dan ... if Goodman Games published Eldrich RPG, aren't they willing to publish a campaign setting to go with the game?

Or does the sales volume seem to small for GG to work with?

Or what?
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
dancross
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by dancross »

Joseph Goodman backs Eldritch and believes the game to be fun, otherwise I suspect it would just vanish from the site. Still, since I own all rights to Eldritch, it makes better business sense for him to forge ahead with his own labor of love, the upcoming new Dungeon Craw Classics RPG (for which I'm excited to see!).

That said, buying the ERP print book never hurts the cause for new material, even if it is in PDF or print-on-demand. Anybody that does that gets a free PDF version from me, updated ;-) I can't speak of sales number (NDA brick wall there), but I will say that Joseph is a pleasure to work with, and if you happen to be a freelancer in the field, I highly recommend working with this company.

The game remains somewhat "grass roots" right now, since I'm pretty much a one-man team. I do have the means to get quality art and layout, but I lack the capital, and I know Joe needs me to keep the ball rolling in my court for a while. ;-)
finarvyn wrote:I'm confused, Dan ... if Goodman Games published Eldrich RPG, aren't they willing to publish a campaign setting to go with the game?

Or does the sales volume seem to small for GG to work with?

Or what?
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

That makes sense. Certainly when you run things yourself you get more creative control over the final product.

I have to say that I haven't actually played Eldritch yet, but it's a fun read and I've followed your posts here with interest. Seems like a cool game system, which I hope to explore more when I get some time. (Current campaigns and playtests are eating up my game time at the moment.)
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
dancross
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by dancross »

Anybody who is still interested in the Eldritch RPG, now coming into its 2nd Edition, may be interested in checking out the website: http://plyphyny.com. Just thought I'd mention it ;-)
dancross
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by dancross »

Greetings esteemed members of the Goodman Games forums,

I hope this message finds you all in high spirits and excited about new tabletop adventures. I wanted to share some exciting news with you, particularly those who remember the release of the original Eldritch RPG back in 2008.

Firstly, I would like to express my heartfelt gratitude to Goodman Games for their invaluable support and for publishing the first edition of Eldritch RPG. It was a significant milestone in my journey as a game designer and creator. I have always been inspired by Goodman Games and their incredible contributions to the tabletop gaming community, such as Dungeon Crawl Classics.

Reflecting on the release of the first edition, I must acknowledge that it posed a steep learning curve for me in terms of production and process. However, I have taken those lessons to heart and dedicated myself to honing my skills and improving every aspect of Eldritch RPG.

I am thrilled to announce that we are relaunching Eldritch RPG with an all-new 2nd Edition! This edition represents the culmination of my growth and development as a game designer, and it is a testament to our team's unwavering passion and dedication.

On May 16th, we will be launching our Kickstarter campaign for Eldritch RPG 2nd Edition and its accompanying setting. We have poured countless hours into refining the mechanics, expanding the rulebook, and creating a captivating setting that will immerse players in a world of wonder and adventure.

We would greatly appreciate your support in making this campaign a success. Please consider pledging to our Kickstarter campaign and sharing the project with your friends and fellow tabletop enthusiasts. Together, we can breathe new life into the world of Eldritch and forge unforgettable stories of heroism and discovery.

For more details and to stay updated, please visit our page https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/el ... reimagined.

Warmest regards,

Dan Cross

Return to “Goodman Games General”