Appendix N music

Appendix N is the literary wellspring of the DCC RPG. Discuss it here, along with related subjects: D&D history, pulp sci-fi/fantasy magazines, pre-genre literature, etc.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Appendix N music

Post by beermotor »

I thought it'd be neat to share ideas in one thread.

Anything drone/stoner in tone just summons the 1970s right out of the air... I'm currently listening to OM "God is Good" ... which will really fit well with a desert-y themed campaign like mine. And I think it makes for good background music, too. Sleep "Dopesmoker" / "Jerusalem" is great for that, too, also YOB's like that, but a little more "metal." OM is more like rhythmic chanting with a little bass.

Really digging this right now. I may try to play it tonight at the game.

Other thoughts include Steve Von Till's solo records, which are semi-Norse and just accoustic guitar for the most part, Lotus Eaters (entirely ambient), Sunn O))) (sort of evil-sounding drone), Black Sabbath (duh), Dio (double duh), bands like that. Obviously The Sword really evokes the sword & sorcery stuff (they're probably the MOST "Appendix N band" out there). WarHorse "As Heaven Turns to Ash" is also pretty solid.

Of course, Morbid Angel really evokes old school, evil sorcery type stuff. So if you have a Cthulhu-crazed campaign, it'd work well.

I'm interested in what other folks find inspirational as far as music... I listen to a huge range of stuff, but the above stuff is what really makes me think of a fantasy gaming campaigns.
hawkwind
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Re: Appendix N music

Post by hawkwind »

I would recommend my nasakes "Hawkwind" who even have an appendix N author writing their songs and appearing on thier LP's

Blue Oyster Cult also have Moorcock connection

but best of all must be Bal Sagoth who have a constant appendix N theme to every song they have ever done
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

hawkwind wrote:I would recommend my nasakes "Hawkwind" who even have an appendix N author writing their songs and appearing on thier LP's

but best of all must be Bal Sagoth who have a constant appendix N theme to every song they have ever done
Haha, Bal Sagoth... :-) Definitely a Warhammer-y feel to them.

I've actually never listened to Hawkwind I don't think, but I love Lemmy and Motorhead. 70s prog rock is great stuff too, old Yes, Mahavishnu Orchestra, etc.
hawkwind
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by hawkwind »

beermotor wrote:
hawkwind wrote:I would recommend my nasakes "Hawkwind" who even have an appendix N author writing their songs and appearing on thier LP's

Haha, Bal Sagoth... :-) Definitely a Warhammer-y feel to them.

I've actually never listened to Hawkwind I don't think, but I love Lemmy and Motorhead. 70s prog rock is great stuff too, old Yes, Mahavishnu Orchestra, etc.
you should check two hawkwind Lp's for the appendix N stuff

Warrior on the Edge of Time which is lemmy's last one and has Mr Moorcock contributing lyric's and "Chronicles of the Black Sword" which is the Elric concept album
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

This topic comes up regularly on these forums. Check out these other threads for more (and some of the same) ideas:

http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/vie ... 57&p=85956
http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/vie ... 60&t=22666
http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/vie ... 17&t=21267
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]
Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Karaptis »

Hawkwind! Every album is like watching a newly regenerated Doctor! You never know what you are getting. That is why they are my favorite.
headspice
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by headspice »

Did anyone notice the title of a book on the shelf of the magic user's study on page 105 in DCC RPG? It's on the back wall to the left. The only volume with a legible title written on the spine is "Hawkwind"!
Submit to NECROPANTSED, A Geek Grimoire of Frostbitten, Grim Musics and Forsaken Games Worshipped by Middle Aged Teens.
http://necropantspublishing.blogspot.com/
bitflipr
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by bitflipr »

headspice wrote:Did anyone notice the title of a book on the shelf of the magic user's study on page 105 in DCC RPG? It's on the back wall to the left. The only volume with a legible title written on the spine is "Hawkwind"!
I see it! But it's not the only legible title... I see "Gygax" as well below it.
hawkwind
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by hawkwind »

headspice wrote:Did anyone notice the title of a book on the shelf of the magic user's study on page 105 in DCC RPG? It's on the back wall to the left. The only volume with a legible title written on the spine is "Hawkwind"!
I'm in the Book!
sgates248
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by sgates248 »

LOVE Hawkwind. "Space Ritual" was my intro to them many years ago. It's great.
I played a lot of Electric Wizard in the background recently at a DCC session and it was great. Really I don't think you can go wrong with any of the stoner/doom stuff. Rise Above (http://www.riseaboverecords.com/) has been putting out some great stuff. I feel like a lot of it has that Appendix N vibe. Check out the new Purson album along with Blood Ceremony, Uncle Acid, Circulus, etc. The list goes on and on.
Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Karaptis »

Just the name Electric Wizard sounds like they are worth looking into.
scrootch
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by scrootch »

I really like instrumental music these days.

The Re-Stoned - Northern Lights

Serpent Throne - Red Moon Harvest

STONERFRONT NIJMEGEN - Sector 11

Los Asteroide - Lazer

And if you dig the riffs, you could do worse than visit http://www.stonerobixxx.net/
Party like its 1974!
Skars
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Skars »

Just had to post that I bought my hawkwind trickets for October 18th in SF! w00t
Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Karaptis »

Got my Hawkwind tickets for Cleveland. Still my favorite choice for DCC background music. I cannot come to terms with the fact that I get to see Hawkwind perform Warrior on the Edge of Time live! The gods of chaos favor me!
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

Aaaaaahhhhh! Cleveland is the closest they're getting to me, and there's no way I can travel that far on a Tuesday night. :(
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]

Return to “Appendix N”