Any DCC adventures that have a LARGE city in them?

There are over 50 DCC Adventures in print, including the main line (DCC #66.5 and up), the Holiday adventures, the Free RPG Day adventures, the new Horror line, and more! Suss them all out here!

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Post Reply
User avatar
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer
Posts: 756
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:07 am
Location: The Rollings Hobbit Hills of Ohio

Any DCC adventures that have a LARGE city in them?

Post by MrHemlocks » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:20 am

Are there any DCC adventures that have a large city/town in them? I am looking for one that goes into a lot of detail. Pathfinder and AD&D have numerous ones but I could not find one written for/by DCC :?

User avatar
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
Posts: 2499
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:42 am
FLGS: Fair Game
Location: Chicago suburbs
Contact:

Re: Any DCC adventures that have a LARGE city in them?

Post by finarvyn » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:09 pm

Not that I can think of offhand, no. (I assume you are thinking of the modules designed for the DCC rpg and not just the DCC product line for 3E or 4E. If you include the 4E modules there is Punjar.)
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson

User avatar
Colin
Moderator
Posts: 671
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:05 pm
Location: Devon, England

Re: Any DCC adventures that have a LARGE city in them?

Post by Colin » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:41 pm

And you can read more about Punjar in this systemless pdf HERE for $5.00.

Colin

User avatar
Skars
Mighty-Thewed Reaver
Posts: 312
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:05 pm
Location: Fremont, CA

Re: Any DCC adventures that have a LARGE city in them?

Post by Skars » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:17 pm

I think the best city resource right now in publication is "Vornheim". Check it out, you might only be able to get pdf versions at this point but not only does it give you rules for a detailed city but also how to make stuff up on the fly. The rules are generally aimed at OD&D but are easily applicable to DCC RPG and definitely weird enough to be appendix N.

User avatar
Crimsontree
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
Posts: 217
Joined: Sun May 27, 2012 4:23 am

Re: Any DCC adventures that have a LARGE city in them?

Post by Crimsontree » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:28 pm

Colin wrote:And you can read more about Punjar in this systemless pdf HERE for $5.00.

Colin
The review is off putting. Based on the review, it doesn't look as if you get much for $5.

User avatar
Colin
Moderator
Posts: 671
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:05 pm
Location: Devon, England

Re: Any DCC adventures that have a LARGE city in them?

Post by Colin » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:11 pm

Crimsontree wrote:
Colin wrote:And you can read more about Punjar in this systemless pdf HERE for $5.00.

Colin
The review is off putting. Based on the review, it doesn't look as if you get much for $5.
The review is ass. The pdf is by Harley Stroh; haven't you read enough of his work yet to trust him? It covers the city in the same length as one of the official DCC modules (16 pages), and costs less than the module pdfs do (they cost $7.00). It's packed with flavour (though it's obviously no Freeport). It describes every ward of the city, and details several interesting locales within each ward (and these typically scream, "ADVENTURE!"). Here's a sample of its flavour and how packed the 16 pages are (it's about a sixth of one page):

The Silent Maid
At the back of the alley called the Shiv is the sign of the
Silent Maid. A passable tavern and flophouse, the Maid
has little to distinguish itself from the hundreds of
other dives found in Smoke, were it not for its ill-famed
clientele. For one reason or another, rogues of every
stripe are found within the Maid, drinking and dicing
away their days and nights. In all of Smoke, there is no
better place to hire a villain, and woe to the Dragonne
or official that dares to step foot inside the Maid.
The Silent Maid is owned and run by Finris the Blind,
an aging graybeard with an uncanny ability to size up
his customer, despite his disability. (Or perhaps, as
some argue, Finris cannot be fooled by looks, and is
able to pass judgment that much easier.) Finris owes
no allegiance to any of the ward bosses, but he does
permit Guild thieves to drink for free, in return for
their watchful eyes. The rogues, protective of their
privileges, are exceedingly simple in their justice: cheat
Finris, and lose a finger; threaten the old man, and
lose your life. A jar behind the bar has a collection of
pickled fingers, fair warning to anyone who would bilk
old Finris.


If the issue is never paying $5.00 for 16 pages, regardless of quality or use, that's not something I can help you with. If it's paying $5.00 for something of unknown quality, then hopefully I've alleviated your concerns.

Colin

User avatar
tovokas
Mighty-Thewed Reaver
Posts: 319
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:05 pm
Location: Washington State, USA
Contact:

Re: Any DCC adventures that have a LARGE city in them?

Post by tovokas » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:32 pm

Listen to Colin, I'll buy anything by Harley sight unseen. Every Punjar thing I've ever read is awesome.
Jon Marr
Purple Sorcerer Games
purplesorcerer.com

User avatar
Crimsontree
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
Posts: 217
Joined: Sun May 27, 2012 4:23 am

Re: Any DCC adventures that have a LARGE city in them?

Post by Crimsontree » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:25 pm

Colin wrote:
Crimsontree wrote:
Colin wrote:And you can read more about Punjar in this systemless pdf HERE for $5.00.

Colin
The review is off putting. Based on the review, it doesn't look as if you get much for $5.
The review is ass. The pdf is by Harley Stroh; haven't you read enough of his work yet to trust him? It covers the city in the same length as one of the official DCC modules (16 pages), and costs less than the module pdfs do (they cost $7.00). It's packed with flavour (though it's obviously no Freeport). It describes every ward of the city, and details several interesting locales within each ward (and these typically scream, "ADVENTURE!"). Here's a sample of its flavour and how packed the 16 pages are (it's about a sixth of one page):

The Silent Maid
At the back of the alley called the Shiv is the sign of the
Silent Maid. A passable tavern and flophouse, the Maid
has little to distinguish itself from the hundreds of
other dives found in Smoke, were it not for its ill-famed
clientele. For one reason or another, rogues of every
stripe are found within the Maid, drinking and dicing
away their days and nights. In all of Smoke, there is no
better place to hire a villain, and woe to the Dragonne
or official that dares to step foot inside the Maid.
The Silent Maid is owned and run by Finris the Blind,
an aging graybeard with an uncanny ability to size up
his customer, despite his disability. (Or perhaps, as
some argue, Finris cannot be fooled by looks, and is
able to pass judgment that much easier.) Finris owes
no allegiance to any of the ward bosses, but he does
permit Guild thieves to drink for free, in return for
their watchful eyes. The rogues, protective of their
privileges, are exceedingly simple in their justice: cheat
Finris, and lose a finger; threaten the old man, and
lose your life. A jar behind the bar has a collection of
pickled fingers, fair warning to anyone who would bilk
old Finris.


If the issue is never paying $5.00 for 16 pages, regardless of quality or use, that's not something I can help you with. If it's paying $5.00 for something of unknown quality, then hopefully I've alleviated your concerns.

Colin
Lol

If the issue was never paying $5 for 16 pages, a good or bad review wouldn't sway me. As I said in my post, it was about not getting much for $5.

I own all of Harley Stroh's DCC rpg modules & have enjoyed reading them & DMing them with my group. I think I'll take a punt on this too.

User avatar
Crimsontree
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
Posts: 217
Joined: Sun May 27, 2012 4:23 am

Re: Any DCC adventures that have a LARGE city in them?

Post by Crimsontree » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:36 pm

I own the WFRP city book Middenheim: City of Chaos. It's sometimes available on Ebay along with it's companion adventure, Power Behind the Throne.

User avatar
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
Posts: 3813
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:46 pm
FLGS: Bizarro World
Location: Left Coast, USA
Contact:

Re: Any DCC adventures that have a LARGE city in them?

Post by GnomeBoy » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:08 am

Crimsontree wrote:The review is off putting. Based on the review, it doesn't look as if you get much for $5.
The reviewers main complaint seems to be that he's now expected to pay for something that was once free. Which is something like expecting items that have been on sale to never resume their former price. But by his own review he doesn't think the material is worth exactly nothing. Why he thinks it is insulting that the "sale" is now over, I don't know. It reads to me like a sour grapes review and that the tone would be different if someone had handed him a free copy, given that he keeps returning to the was-free-now-not point after he's made it. Goodman's free and $2 "introductory" products have in my experience been as high a quality as anything else they put out.

I think Punjar: The Tarnished Jewel is a great foundation for a city based campaign. It doesn't detail the districts street by street, but does provide plenty of detail and suggestion to make for rich gaming. It doesn't provide stats for anyone mentioned therein*, which I consider a point in it's favor, but some may feel like it leaves them with 'the work' to do to use the book. When I used it to supplement running Sellswords of Punjar and Thief Lord's Vault, I had numerous elements from it at my disposal to respond to my players' choices.

If you want a city book to give you "all the details", this isn't it. But if you want an imaginative springboard for your imagination, this might fit perfectly.


- - - - - - -
* Dating from just before 4th Edition was published, it wasn't allowed to feature stats yet, but was produced as part of Goodman Games' shift to 4th Edition support.
...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham

Post Reply

Return to “DCC RPG Adventure Modules”