Doom of the Savage Kings as 0 level adventure?

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Doom of the Savage Kings as 0 level adventure?

Post by MrHemlocks »

I am running my first DCC adventure this next weekend . My group has seven players so that would mean twenty eight zero level characters. I have the Doom of the Savage Kings adventure but notice it caters to level one characters. Would it be too difficult to run a group of 28 zero level character through? Has anyone ran this adventure as a zero level newbe dungeon crawl.

I looked at the free adventure, in the back of the DCC book, and it seems like a real short adventure. So, that is why I might pick another. For our gaming group plays many a long hours :lol:
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Re: Doom of the Savage Kings as 0 level adventure?

Post by Ravenheart87 »

Wow, for so many players I would go with three zero level characters per player. Heck, I always went with that many. Otherwise there isn't too much dungeon to crawl in Doom of the Savage Kings, there are very few monsters, my players spent far more time in the village. Sailors on the Starless Sea would be far better zero level adventure IMO.
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

I would advise against that many 0 levels. If you have 7 players, let them have 2-3 at max. 28 characters will pretty much mob anything (maybe you're familiar with the term "Zerging" from online MMOs). Plus, it'll be very tough to keep track of. Probably not much fun. IMO.

We actually cut down my party significantly in size last night, everybody's just running 1 character. They're all level 2, now, so there's that difference, but we have a Cleric, an Elf, a Thief, and a Dwarf. It worked quite well, was a LOT faster to play, and easier to keep track of stuff, I think.

As for DotSK, it's a great module and would probably work well as a funnel. But you may have to tone down the Wolf some. It's quite capable of slaughtering even such a large horde of 0 levels.

Don't dismiss Portal Under the Stars... it's a great introductory adventure, and I had a lot of fun with it. There's some cool items in there too that can tie into other adventures.
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

Yeah, 28 or even 21 adventurers would be overkill for Doom. :)
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
Crimsontree
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Crimsontree »

I ran Sailors of the Starless Sea with 3 players & 24 level zeros. I gave each player an initial & each character a number. Then I wrote the initial & number on the base of the mini with a fineliner e.g. S1, S2, E1, E2 etc.. When the characters reached Level 1, the players gave the remaining characters names. It was a fun couple of sessions but our group decided that 12 is the max for our funnel adventures.

Return to “DCC RPG General”