DCC #35: Gazetteer of the Known Realms

A forum for discussing the many DCC modules published under third edition rules, EXCEPT for Castle Whiterock, which has its own forum.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Nahat Anoj
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Re: Zero-Level advancement?

Post by Nahat Anoj »

Smokeless Joe wrote:I really like the idea of zero-level characters as laid out in the GM's Guide of DCC #35. However, there's no real discussion on how they advance to first level.

Is there anything special about advancing from zero to first level? I'm guessing that's it's just like starting any other multi-class level, except that you start counting levels for feats and such.

So... no max hit points, no starting money, yes feats? That sorta thing?
The way I understand it, it follows the normal multiclassing rules, except that characters are never penalized for having just one level in their 0 level class.
Warduke
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Warduke »

i had the same understanding as JM
Member of Fathead's Favorite Posters Team
Hjorimir
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Hjorimir »

I'm sorry, but as to my question about Sentri, it is public knowledge that he directs/leads the Order of the Sable March?

Thanks for the other feedback, though! :D
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

H,

My apologies. Yes, his role as commander is common knowledge. But his subversive work is not.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Jeff LaSala
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Jeff LaSala »

For the record, Sentri was my first favorite NPC of Harley's invention. You've got to love a lawful good fighter who's forced to be chaotic and surrepticious for the sake of his people and land.
Goodman Games: DCCs: #29, #31, #35, #48, #49, #51; Hero's Handbooks: Dragonborn, Tieflings; Level Up
Wizards of the Coast: The Darkwood Mask
Blindsided Books: Savant
Ashlock.org; NY Speculative Fiction Examiner
Hjorimir
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Hjorimir »

H-

Thanks much!

-H
Argamae
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Argamae »

I know that there are game designers out there who love to put some sort of reference or hommage to certain authors or artists into their work. Was this the case with the naming of the CULT OF AKFOKAL NEL?
Because, if you spell the two last words backwards, they read: Len(ard) Lakofka - a known author (Lendor Isle Series for AD&D) in those good, ol' days... and one of the first D&D players (name patron of the "Leomund" spells)! :wink:
The lucky guy who gets to translate DCCs into German!
Done so far:
DCC#1, DCC #11, DCC #28, DCC #17, DCC #17.5 :)
slimykuotoan
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

re:

Post by slimykuotoan »

I soooo can't wait to pick this up.
jason.richardson
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by jason.richardson »

Can you guys direct me to any on-line reviews of the boxed set?

Thanks,

jason
Jeff LaSala
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Jeff LaSala »

I know of only two:

http://www.rpgnow.com/product_reviews_i ... s_id=14497&

http://www.enworld.org/reviews.php?do=r ... id=3294790

If anyone else has more, yeah, please post 'em! Feedback (good or bad) = good.
Goodman Games: DCCs: #29, #31, #35, #48, #49, #51; Hero's Handbooks: Dragonborn, Tieflings; Level Up
Argamae
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Argamae »

Well, not exactly a full-blown review but I am running a Goodman-Games-Thread on our own Forum. Trying to get people interested in GG' modules and material. And I also posted some overview as to the Áereth world setting.
So, if anyone here is speaking German, please be welcome: Ritter Der Zeit. :wink:
The lucky guy who gets to translate DCCs into German!
Done so far:
DCC#1, DCC #11, DCC #28, DCC #17, DCC #17.5 :)
quigonjim
Ill-Fated Peasant

Wyshalar?

Post by quigonjim »

Hi all.

Perhaps a rolled a 1 on my comprehend book check but I can't find an entry for Wyshalar who is listed both on page 18 and 48 of the GM's guide.

Thanks for your time,
-Jim
Jeff LaSala
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Jeff LaSala »

You actually rolled an "18," Quigonjim. In fact, Wyshalar is not detailed in this product, merely listed. There are a handful of other gods, too, who are listed but not given their own entry (not unlike the old Greyhawk books of old).

There may yet come a day when these named-but-not-described gods are given some space of their own.

Suffice to say that Wyshalar is a patroness of survivors. Half-breeds of any sort, anyone who's an outcast, or those with protection, often pray to Wyshalar for aid.

Were you hoping to use her in your game?
James Mishler
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by James Mishler »

Harley Stroh wrote:
James Mishler wrote:Harley,

I've got a question about the population for the Freeholds. It is listed as being 42,601, which seems really low... and, it just so happens, is exactly the same population as Freeport, which is the next entry. They even have the exact same percentage mix of races.

It seems to me that the population figures for the Freeholds were accidentally copied from the population for Freeport. Can you post the population figures for the Freeholds here? Thanks!
:oops: :oops: :oops:

Let me check my notes and post the proper data. Good catch!

//H
Harley,

Were you ever able to find that information?
James Mishler
Personal Gameblog: http://adventuresingaming2.blogspot.com
quigonjim
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by quigonjim »

Jeff LaSala wrote:You actually rolled an "18," Quigonjim. In fact, Wyshalar is not detailed in this product, merely listed. There are a handful of other gods, too, who are listed but not given their own entry (not unlike the old Greyhawk books of old).

There may yet come a day when these named-but-not-described gods are given some space of their own.

Suffice to say that Wyshalar is a patroness of survivors. Half-breeds of any sort, anyone who's an outcast, or those with protection, often pray to Wyshalar for aid.

Were you hoping to use her in your game?
Jeff,
Thanks for the reply; those old Greyhawk books are neat (although I didn't start playing until 1980 when there were three hardcover AD&D books). My reason for asking is that I am starting a new campaign set in Aereth in about a week and one of my players has expressed interest in following Wyshalar but doesn't have his heart set on her (he isn't playing a cleric).

We are starting with The Scaly God and one of my favorite things about it is the hidden/forgotten shrine to Sothulth – one of my players is going to go nuts :)

Thanks again,
-Jim
(If I posted a spoiler here let me know and I will edit it)
Jeff LaSala
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Jeff LaSala »

Bah! Who needs a cleric to follow a god?

Tell you what. If you're player does decide to go with Wyshalar, I'll see if I can't toss you a few more potential bits of information about her. Just say the word.
quigonjim
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by quigonjim »

Jeff LaSala wrote:Bah! Who needs a cleric to follow a god?

Tell you what. If you're player does decide to go with Wyshalar, I'll see if I can't toss you a few more potential bits of information about her. Just say the word.
Awesome, thanks. What I do have a need for is a god/dess who has a love/art/beauty aspect; I am planning to add the love aspect to Myna rather than write my own but if you had any ideas/plans in that area I would be thrilled to hear them if you feel like divulging any. If not I think adding the love aspect to Myna's luck aspect works fine.

Thanks again,
-Jim
Jeff LaSala
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Jeff LaSala »

Jim,

The only reason I might steer away from Myna for love/art/beauty is that this would relegate both her and the tenets of love into that realm of fickle affection. Most settings do this: most goddesses of love are chaotic and flighty, like Sune Firehair or Venus/Aphrodite. They're more about pleasure than love.

In keeping with the other gods of Áereth, I'd want to avoid that. What's probably more appropriate is that there is no singular god of love, but rather mortals, depending on what they believe, turn to their god of choice to affiliate it.

So, for example, someone who wants only whimsical affection or "puppy love" might in fact pray to Myna anyway, since she is the goddess of fortune and change. But a man who wishes to wed his true love might pray to Valdreth, god of longevity and integrity, or Gorhan, god of chivalry...or even Thormyr, god of duty and honor. In turn, a young noblewoman seeking to make a binding marriage (for her family's fortune) might instead make an offering to Teleus, god of law. Make sense? This isn't why there isn't one god of love; because love has many different angles. Something like that. :D

Of course, you also said art and beauty. But both of those can be attached to many other gods as well. Ireth might fit the bill, but so might Pelagia or Ulesh.
quigonjim
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by quigonjim »

Jeff,

That really does make sense. Thank you very much for your keen insight and advice. :)

-Jim
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

A very minor, niggling point, but I just want to clarify:

In the section regarding Crieste, page 8 in my Gazetteer. Under the entry for Axebury: "...the folk of Axebury make their living harvesting timber for the dark glades {referring to Mosswood}."

I'm guessing that should be from? Or am I completely missing which 'glades' are being discussed?
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Your edit is the right one, Ogre. :)

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Jeff LaSala
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Jeff LaSala »

That said, how interesting might this be if you let the typo stand?

"...the folk of Axebury make their living harvesting timber for the dark glades."

Some sort of sinister cannibalistic treants, perhaps, who want lumber from a rival forest? :twisted:
tacojohn4547
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

En World review follow-up

Post by tacojohn4547 »

From Grimstaff’s review on En World:
[snip] The Ugly: Gamers have been complaining about hard to read gamebooks for years now, and no one's listening to us, so I don't know why I bother, but yeah, the print is hard to read sometimes with the fancy watermarked pages, blah blah blah. [snip]

From w earle wheeler’s comment on En World
My only complaint about it is that the text is hard for me to read over the grayscale image background. I asked many people if this would be a problem before I bought it, and everyone (including Mr. Goodman) assured me it shouldn't be. Since I haven't heard it mentioned by anyone else, I assume that my problem with this is unique, and most people won't have difficulty reading the books.

I guess I just need to invest in a new reading lamp?

From trancejeremy’s comment on En World
No, I just got it myself, and I too find the text extremely hard to read.

How is the .pdf version of DCC #35 on this point? Was the .pdf version of the DCC World campaign setting released with the grayscale watermark background intact, or is the .pdf version a low-ink (i.e., enhanced readability) version of the Known Realms? :wink:

Perhaps using the .pdf is an option for those that find the printed books difficult to read?

tacojohn4547
Save Vs. Death Ray
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Save Vs. Death Ray »

My understanding is that the .pdf includes a low-ink version, but I haven't bought it myself. I stuck with the print version, which, for myself, is not hard to read.

Clearly for some folks it is. I wish there was a way to resolve this, since for many folks readability is the only drawback, and I hate to see people knock on DCC world. One of the reviewers said that otherwise the product was excellent.
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Jeff LaSala wrote:That said, how interesting might this be if you let the typo stand?

"...the folk of Axebury make their living harvesting timber for the dark glades."

Some sort of sinister cannibalistic treants, perhaps, who want lumber from a rival forest? :twisted:
Lumber? Bah. They love the taste of elf-flesh. Just change 'lumber' to 'limbs' and you have something much more ambiguous.... (Being Mosswood, I'd think Swamp Thing would find elves to be very tasty morsels.)

(I was very seriously considering leaving the typo, but it just didn't quite fit with my sinister cannibalistic plans.)

Return to “DCC Modules - 3E”