manifestation

Discussion of all things magical for DCC RPG -- "Let the Phlogiston take you where it will..."

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

manifestation

Post by beermotor »

Do you roll a new manifestation each time you cast? Or once for your character, as sort of a signature "this is how I do it" kind of like the mercurial magic roll?
Crimsontree
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Re: manifestation

Post by Crimsontree »

Once at the beginning when spells are determined but my players tend to forget about the manifestation in play & it hasn't really added anything to our game.
cjoepar
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by cjoepar »

I just let the players decide. My take on this is that this is flavor for the players, so I give them complete control. They can choose any of the manifestations listed, they can roll once, or every time they cast it, or they can make up their own manifestation. But they cannot cast a spell unless they describe how it manifests :)
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

cjoepar wrote:I just let the players decide. My take on this is that this is flavor for the players, so I give them complete control. They can choose any of the manifestations listed, they can roll once, or every time they cast it, or they can make up their own manifestation. But they cannot cast a spell unless they describe how it manifests :)
I am similar. Sometimes, in the heat of the moment, we forget manifestation. Otherwise, one of two things happens:

(1) The first manifestation rolled is so damn appropriate for the character that we just keep it as that character's signature, or

(2) We reroll every time because the players seem to enjoy it. They roll.

RC
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
TheNobleDrake
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by TheNobleDrake »

I invite the players to describe their own manifestation, but they mostly just roll... either way the consistent part is that they roll once ever for each spell (though I allow changing of manifestation by spending time "re-learning" the spell)
themightyeroc
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by themightyeroc »

beermotor wrote:Do you roll a new manifestation each time you cast? Or once for your character, as sort of a signature "this is how I do it" kind of like the mercurial magic roll?
I have them roll every time for manifestation. Unless someone wants a "signature manifestation". So far everyone has had more fun rolling dice! I anticipate we will get some signatures at some point though.
Ah well, who wants to live forever? DIE!
worldoferoc.blogspot.com
cthulhudarren
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by cthulhudarren »

Once.

Return to “Magic and Spells”