is Angels, Daemons and Beings Between by Goodman Games?

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

dark cauliflower
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

is Angels, Daemons and Beings Between by Goodman Games?

Post by dark cauliflower »

guyz,

congrats on getting this thing out there:
http://www.rpgnow.com/product/109995/An ... =FrontPage

it looks awesome! I like the Green demon guy. Reminds me of Otus artwork.

I'm a little confused as to who the author is though. On the cover, its says "by Goodman Games". I didn't know the folks at GG were the ones behind it. Did this get picked up by the company at some point?

I hope to be able to order a print version at some point... is that going to happen!?!?
Dark Cauliflower

--from deep night comes the cruciferiouz king!
Blood Axe
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: The Portal

Re: is Angels, Daemons and Beings Between by Goodman Games?

Post by Blood Axe »

Where does it say its by Goodman Games? Mine says its compatible with DCC RPG
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

I'll agree that the line on the cover could've been laid out better to less misleading...

"For DCC RPG

By Goodman Games"
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
dark cauliflower
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

well I got the impression that it was goodman games because it says
"by goodman games"

and its centered on the page like you'd expect where the author of the book to be. I'm not sure where on the cover it says who its by. Maybe on the far lower right corner there's something but I'm not sure what...
Dark Cauliflower

Crimsontree
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Crimsontree »

"A PATRONS SUPPLEMENT FOR THE DUNGEON CRAWL CLASSICS ROLE PLAYING GAME BY GOODMAN GAMES"
dark cauliflower
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

What I see is:
A PATRONS SUPPLEMENT FOR THE DUNGEON CRAWL CLASSICS ROLE PLAYING GAME
***************************BY GOODMAN GAMES

"*" is for formatting purposes, its empty space on the book cover.
Dark Cauliflower

Colin

Post by Colin »

Part of it is just a result of the complete line (A Patrons Supplement for the Dungeon Crawl Classic Roleplaying Game by Goodman Games) being justified centre on the cover. I don't see it as confusing, however, as it also clearly displays the "compatible with DCC" logo right next to the subheader and in terms of trade dress looks nothing like a Goodman product.

The real ambiguity comes from the complete line itself, where "by Goodman Games" could be read as referring to the "Dungeon Crawl Classics Roleplaying Game" (as was obviously intended) OR referring to "A Patrons Supplement yadda yadda" (which is what dark cauliflower assumed). Not the best sentence admittedly, but combined with the different trade dress, different publisher's logo (and lack of GG's one) and compatibility logo I very much doubt many folks would be confused.

Colin
Blood Axe
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: The Portal

Post by Blood Axe »

Sorry, I just dont see the confusion. I didnt think it was written by Goodman Games. I thought just what it said- its a supplement for DCC RPG by Goodman Games.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

Me neither.
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
Colin

Post by Colin »

The sentence, without punctuation, can be construed to be an ambiguous one depending on where you place your emphasis. To explain, let me demonstrate by showing the two places emphasis could be placed using a comma (and how it dramatically changes meaning):

A Patrons Supplement, for the Dungeon Crawl Classic Roleplaying Game by Goodman Games.

This first example implies (correctly) that the book is a patron supplement, and that it is specifically for the DCC RPG created by GG.

A Patrons Supplement for the Dungeon Crawl Classic Roleplaying Game, by Goodman Games.

This second example implies (incorrectly) that it's a patron supplement for the DCC RPG and that it's the supplement that's created by Goodman Games.

Given a lack of punctuation, the emphasis of a given sentence is not always clear (and can have different meanings). It's a funny thing, but while most folks will read it one way (the former) others will read it as the latter (as dark cauliflower demonstrated). We actually did part of a unit on ambiguity in sentences in my BA (Hons) Publishing Studies, and once you see how one sentence can be interpreted in different ways, you start to notice them everywhere. :)

Here's a classic example (one sentence, two meanings) of the sort of thing I mean:

The lady hit the man with an umbrella. Is the lady using an umbrella to hit or is she hitting a man who is carrying an umbrella?

All this said, between trade dress, different publisher logo, the display of the compatibility logo, and a lack of GG promoting the item at all, it's only going to momentarily confuse a few people at most. :)

cheers!
Colin
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

The book is not by Goodman Games, nor was there any attempt to make it seem so.

If you purchased the book, either through the Indiegogo or through one of the sites now selling it (DriveThru, RPG Now), the publisher is clearly indicated.

Sorry if this has caused anyone any confusion.

Daniel
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Colin

Post by Colin »

I wouldn't worry, mate; while the sentence can be read two different ways, it's still very clearly not a GG product, and I very much doubt anyone thinks the ambiguity was remotely deliberate. Like I said, the number of folks who might be confused for more than a moment really isn't worth bothering about. :) I was simply pointing out the two ways in which the sentence could be read, to explain why dark cauliflower asked the question.

Colin

Return to “DCC RPG General”