DCC Boxed Set

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Earl of Awesome
Ill-Fated Peasant

DCC Boxed Set

Post by Earl of Awesome »

I think DCC needs a boxed set.

It would contain the core book (probably softcover to reduce the price, or even abridged), all the required dice (or at least the funky rare ones), a separate booklet explaining roleplaying to newcomers, and a quick-start adventure. This could make the game more accessible to experienced roleplayers and newbies alike. I could buy it for my friends.
Blood Axe
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: The Portal

Re: DCC Boxed Set

Post by Blood Axe »

Its a neat idea, but I just dont ever see that happening. Especially not with a full sized DCC book. Maybe a condensed book, but then you might lose the "feel" of DCC.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Clangador
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Clangador »

I think it would be pretty awesome not to mention very nostalgic to those of us old enough to remember the box sets from TSR.
~Clangador

I'm not a wizard but I play one in DCC...

Join the DCC RPG Rocks Facebook group.
Rostranor
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Rostranor »

boxes are weak. DCC is strong!
VengerSatanis
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by VengerSatanis »

Some of us were talking about that on the google plus DCC RPG... thingy. Divide the core rulebook into 3 soft cover manuals, include dice, and a sweet module. Done and done. I think it's a fantastic idea!

VS
Earl of Awesome
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Earl of Awesome »

Rostranor wrote:boxes are weak. DCC is strong!
What?
Skars
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Skars »

What if you called it "Basic DCC - the house ruler's toolkit"? It could be the first few chapters from the core book softbound and half-sized (like the size of the crawl fanzine - 4.25x5.5?) Then, you include a pamphlet on creating your own spells, patrons and monsters; toss in the zocchi set of dice, character sheets, a special CD single with a couple appendix n style metal bands (the sword, gypsyhawk, etc) and a basic Judge's screen (yay artwork and tables)....it becomes a must buy for dcc fans and newbies alike!
Dark Lord
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Dark Lord »

I'd much rather they produced more supplements and modules than the same rules I already have. Sorry, it's a neat idea but nothing I'd be interested in buying.
dark cauliflower
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by dark cauliflower »

VengerSatanis wrote:Some of us were talking about that on the google plus DCC RPG... thingy. Divide the core rulebook into 3 soft cover manuals, include dice, and a sweet module. Done and done. I think it's a fantastic idea!

VS
do you think that's feasible? It's hard for me to look at the book and say this section can exist in isolation from another section.
Dark Cauliflower

--from deep night comes the cruciferiouz king!
Skullking
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Skullking »

dark cauliflower wrote: do you think that's feasible? It's hard for me to look at the book and say this section can exist in isolation from another section.
Wouldn't it fall neatly into:

1 - Players Section
2 - Spells
3 - Judges Section
"Promise your soul to Orcus, for through him you will live forever. Eat of his tainted flesh and drink of his fiendish blood, and you will know eternal unlife."
cthulhudarren
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by cthulhudarren »

I just want my DCC RPG annual! :cry:
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

It would need to be limited to 3 or so levels. Otherwise the Spells book would weigh about 40 pounds. If spells only had to include a sampling of 1st and 2nd (maybe a few 3rd) level spells, I think it would be doable to produce a significantly scaled down introductory product.
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Dark Lord wrote:I'd much rather they produced more supplements and modules than the same rules I already have. Sorry, it's a neat idea but nothing I'd be interested in buying.
Agreed. The thing that kills most RPGs is not enough (well-written) adventures.
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

I think DCC RPG could use a good "Basic Set", I've mentioned it a few times before (here and G+). It could go until 3rd level. Hell, my campaign of 1.5 years has only 1 (one) 3rd level character, everyone else are from 0 to 2. It would only need the more popular 1st (maybe 10-15 of them) and 2nd level spells (maybe 10.) It could be a really tight "intro" to DCC RPG and RPG gaming in general. The Pathfinder Beginner Set showed how well it could be done, and affordable too, and that there is a market for such things.

It'd be smaller than the DCC RPG beta.

I'd get James Raggi to write it, he wrote the best "Intro" to "D&D" I've ever read, the Tutorial in LotFP. I'd buy it for all my friends who don't play, it's way less intimidating the wonderful tome that is the DCC RPG core rules book.
Reverend Dakota Jesus Ultimak, S.S.M.o.t.S.M.S., D.M.

(Dungeon) Master In Chief of Crawl! fanzine. - http://www.crawlfanzine.com/

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons
VengerSatanis
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by VengerSatanis »

Ogrepuppy wrote:
Dark Lord wrote:I'd much rather they produced more supplements and modules than the same rules I already have. Sorry, it's a neat idea but nothing I'd be interested in buying.
Agreed. The thing that kills most RPGs is not enough (well-written) adventures.
Sure, who doesn't want more. However, there's so much fantasy RPG material available in 2013 that you could run a session every week and still have fresh modules to go by the time you're 80 years old.

What I'd really love to see are several notices up at my FLGS looking for DCC players!

VS
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

VengerSatanis wrote:What I'd really love to see are several notices up at my FLGS looking for DCC players!
Well, yes, you've got me there!

And trust me, if I was anywhere near you I'd be one of those players looking for a group.

I'm STARVED for RPG action, like a meth-head drooling over inhalers at the pharmacy.
Ancalagon
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Ancalagon »

Agreed. I remember the TSR era boxed sets but prefer hardback books... especially my gold foil DCC hardback. 8)
Dark Lord
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Dark Lord »

Ancalagon wrote:
Agreed. I remember the TSR era boxed sets but prefer hardback books... especially my gold foil DCC hardback. 8)
Yup! Got me one of those too. My wife got it for me for father's day. Best. Wife. Evar!
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Dark Lord wrote:Best. Wife. Evar!
Thems fightin' words...!

*rolls d20+1d5*
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

Dark Lord wrote:
Ancalagon wrote:
Yup! Got me one of those too. My wife got it for me for father's day. Best. Wife. Evar!
But what about the childrens! Consider the newbs and never ever playeds! DCC RPG is a great game to get someone started in RPGs, but that lovely 480 page tome might be intimidating to those trying to get started. $40 is big investment, but $20 or $25 might be appealing. Not you, or me, but the beginners.

I've played tons of "organized" play, and ran the first season of Encounters for 4e at my FLGS, and there were lots of newbies that were "sold" on giving it a try at the weekly Encounters game. (Un)fortunately the only "entry level" products were the Rules Compendium and that lame "Red" Box. I got my start playing the Holmes Edition, then moved to the real "Red Box" before obsessing, and getting into AD&D. It would have been nice if there was a proper "beginner's" set or book.

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons
Dark Lord
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Dark Lord »

Is DCC for beginners or those who have never played? It doesn't seem so.
In the end it's their game, so they can do what they wish, I just stated it wouldn't be something I would buy, and I'd rather have supplements and modules. Sorry. If you want to buy a beginner's box more power to you, but I don't want one.
reverenddak wrote:But what about the childrens! Consider the newbs and never ever playeds! DCC RPG is a great game to get someone started in RPGs, but that lovely 480 page tome might be intimidating to those trying to get started. $40 is big investment, but $20 or $25 might be appealing. Not you, or me, but the beginners.
What box set is gonna cost less than $40?
reverenddak wrote:I got my start playing the Holmes Edition, then moved to the real "Red Box" before obsessing, and getting into AD&D. It would have been nice if there was a proper "beginner's" set or book.
I never moved to AD&D because it didn't do anything we weren't already doing with Basic, and what it did do was overly complicated. I don't see Basic D&D as a newb game at all.

But as I said, it's just my opinion...I wouldn't buy it. Sorry.
IMO a better idea would be a quick start guide PDF that had some characters, an adventure and the basic rules need to play the adventure.
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

Dark Lord wrote:Is DCC for beginners or those who have never played? It doesn't seem so.
In the end it's their game, so they can do what they wish, I just stated it wouldn't be something I would buy, and I'd rather have supplements and modules. Sorry. If you want to buy a beginner's box more power to you, but I don't want one.
reverenddak wrote:But what about the childrens! Consider the newbs and never ever playeds! DCC RPG is a great game to get someone started in RPGs, but that lovely 480 page tome might be intimidating to those trying to get started. $40 is big investment, but $20 or $25 might be appealing. Not you, or me, but the beginners.
What box set is gonna cost less than $40?
reverenddak wrote:I got my start playing the Holmes Edition, then moved to the real "Red Box" before obsessing, and getting into AD&D. It would have been nice if there was a proper "beginner's" set or book.
I never moved to AD&D because it didn't do anything we weren't already doing with Basic, and what it did do was overly complicated. I don't see Basic D&D as a newb game at all.

But as I said, it's just my opinion...I wouldn't buy it. Sorry.
IMO a better idea would be a quick start guide PDF that had some characters, an adventure and the basic rules need to play the adventure.
Some of you guys are making it sound like a "Basic Set" would replace your Core Book. How? Like the Core Book will become expired, or obsolete, in some way? Probably some bad taste left over from when 4e got replaced by the 4e Essentials line. I know that feeling.

The hypothetical and anecdotal is all that's happening here. Keep that in mind. As far as I can tell, there is no official talk for new rules, revisions, basic or otherwise. But I like teaching RPGs. Most of the players in my campaign have never played D&D. I never thought I'd be interested in "Basic" sets, but success of the Pathfinder Beginner Set really changed a lot of thinking about that stuff. Also entry level stuff makes really good tools for teaching. On that note, compared to Pathfinder or D&D 4e, DCC RPG is about as beginner friendly as it gets. Maybe not as friendly as Swords and Wizardry, or any other OSR game based on the BECMI or pre-supplement Original Edition, but pretty friendly in practice (I ran many demos last year), this is quite contrary to what it says in the forward.

And please, Basic D&D was designed to be a gateway drug, how successful it was in doing so is fair to debate, I know I played it wrong for quite a while. But we didn't have anyone to teach us, nor were there videos of actual play as there is now. Once a "real" DM showed up, my mind was blown.

The Pathfinder Beginner Box is $30 street. DCC RPG doesn't need any of the cardboard figures, whatever is in that box that makes it so heavy. A DCC RPG "Basic Set" could probably be a total of 128 pages, about the size of the Dragon Age RPG Set 1, and that was everything you needed to play until 5th-level. While the D&D 4e "Red Box" was essentially a "Quickstart Guide" with all those things in mind, and it sucked. It was a terrible introduction to D&D 4e, and the hobby in general. The stuff in that Red Box should have been given away free on Free RPG Day.

Dark Lord
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Dark Lord »

reverenddak wrote:Some of you guys are making it sound like a "Basic Set" would replace your Core Book. How? Like the Core Book will become expired, or obsolete, in some way? Probably some bad taste left over from when 4e got replaced by the 4e Essentials line. I know that feeling.
Why? Because I said I wouldn't buy one? Not sure where you get that. I'm sorry I don't want one, and I don't see this game as needing to be newb friendly. I just don't. I don't know where you get your strawman tho.
reverenddak wrote:The hypothetical and anecdotal is all that's happening here. Keep that in mind. As far as I can tell, there is no official talk for new rules, revisions, basic or otherwise.
I ain't raving against it even if it is. My point was "I don't want one." not "Gurffledurgleburglegrump!!! Tarnation this makes me mad!!! Grrrr."
reverenddak wrote:But I like teaching RPGs. Most of the players in my campaign have never played D&D. I never thought I'd be interested in "Basic" sets, but success of the Pathfinder Beginner Set really changed a lot of thinking about that stuff. Also entry level stuff makes really good tools for teaching. On that note, compared to Pathfinder or D&D 4e, DCC RPG is about as beginner friendly as it gets. Maybe not as friendly as Swords and Wizardry, or any other OSR game based on the BECMI or pre-supplement Original Edition, but pretty friendly in practice (I ran many demos last year), this is quite contrary to what it says in the forward.
Luckily since DCC is d20 you have a lot of options already. :)
reverenddak wrote:And please, Basic D&D was designed to be a gateway drug, how successful it was in doing so is fair to debate, I know I played it wrong for quite a while. But we didn't have anyone to teach us, nor were there videos of actual play as there is now. Once a "real" DM showed up, my mind was blown.
Since it came out like 5 years before AD&D I highly disagree with that speculation. D&D was in no way an entry level game. It wasn't until much later that they set up that dynamic, and it didn't work because D&D wasn't designed to be that. Sorry, but this is just incorrect.
reverenddak wrote:The Pathfinder Beginner Box is $30 street.
MSRP is $34.99 That's $5 difference from the whole book of DCC.

And there's a lot more to a box set price than the page count. In particular...the box is probably one of the most expensive components. What is so wrong with a quick start guide?

But like I said last time. If you want to spend money on a beginner level game, be my guest, but I don't have to want to, and I don't. I'm sorry if that translates to you that I hate the idea at a molecular level...I don't...I just have no use for it.
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

I think you guys just want this so you'll have something else to collect. NERDS!!!!!!

/ACAEUM'D
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

Dark Lord wrote:But like I said last time. If you want to spend money on a beginner level game, be my guest, but I don't have to want to, and I don't. I'm sorry if that translates to you that I hate the idea at a molecular level...I don't...I just have no use for it.
Sorry, my original reply [http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/vie ... 948#p95948] wasn't directed at you personally, just the thread. All I did was state my support for a Boxed Set (hypothetical), and backed it up with my personal (anecdotal) belief. You're the one that poked holes at my post, with inline replies and all, so I couldn't help but take it personally. My bad but I still think a Basic Set is a good idea.

Btw, Basic D&D was absolutely designed as an entry level game before "Advanced" D&D play. It might not have worked for you, and I know it didn't work well for me. But the evidence is pretty clear that it was designed with that in mind: Basic D&D "Holmes Edition" (1977) p. 6. states "...experience levels that high are not discussed in this book and the reader is referred to the more complete rules in ADVANCED DUNGEONS & DRAGONS".

The original Red Box, the Moldvay (1981) and/or Mentzner (1983) editions, that's a different story. But I was already into AD&D by the time those books came out.

Return to “DCC RPG General”