Introductions Thread - Join the Band!

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Gizrond
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Re: Introductions Thread - Join the Band!

Post by Gizrond »

Hey all,

Lifelong gamer here. Been playing since I first found the basic set back in 3rd grade. As a result, I've been gaming for about 30 years. Gizrond was the name of my very first D&D character.

I fell off the wagon a bit around the time 3.5 hit the peak of its wackiness. Not to turn this into a thread complaining about other systems, but I started to notice that when you asked someone to describe their character, they would give you a list of their special ability combinations and combat bonuses and what rule loophole they exploited. That only got worse with 4e. I slowly lost interest in D&D and my books began to collect dust on the shelves.

I've played too many games to list - let's just say "most of them". My favorites are D&D up to 3rd Ed, Shadowrun, Villains and Vigilantes, and D20 Modern (under the right circumstances), but I usually find something to like in almost every game I try.

A few weeks ago I picked up DCC at the game store after being drawn to the art style. It brought back all of the emotions that first red box basic set instilled in me. I found myself stopping every two or three pages and saying, "Why didn't I think of that?" I described it to a friend this way: DCC is what old school gaming should have been, not so much what it was.

I'm trying to get a group of old school gamers together for a weekly or bi-weekly game in the New Hampshire area. A friend of mine is opening a collectibles and gaming store in Raymond, NH within the next month or so, and I hope to schedule a regular DCC night there.

To add to the conversation, I too suffered through a few sessions of Aftermath back in the day. About 3 hours to make a character and about 3 minutes to get him killed. Good times. :roll:
altfritz
Gongfarmer

Post by altfritz »

I picked DCC about a week ago. Nice hefty book - I love the weight of it! And the Art. And a lot of the cool concepts like the critical hits, the way spells work, the Deeds die, the dice chain, and others. Not so thrilled about the "funnel". I'm thinking it might be fun once but over time would just become a drag.

I'm already tweaking it... :D

It's like LotFP - the best part of that was the Encumberance system...

Oh, I almost forgot I was supposed to be introducing myself...

Hi, I'm Howard and I collect Role-playing games (since White Box D&D). :D
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

altfritz wrote:I picked DCC about a week ago. Nice hefty book ... <snip> ... I'm already tweaking it... :D
Welcome, Howard, and welcome to my world. I tweak games all the time and love doing it!

Glad to see a fellow "white box" enthusiast. If you want to discuss OD&D more, look for the link in my signature.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
centisteed
Ill-Fated Peasant

Intro

Post by centisteed »

Hello All,

My name is John. I've played RPGs off & on since the early
80s, these days I just look at online or solitaire play. I had
recently heard of Carcosa & got a copy of that which then
made me look back at OD&D & the odd74 forum. Normally
I prefere science fiction or modern RPGs, but I've noticed there
has been a great resurgence for the good ole days of gaming
this year & that has peaked my interest.

Aside from Carcosa, I recently bought the Premium AD&D
books as well. I still own & have my copies of 1st ed & some
2nd ed books from the 80s. I thought about getting the
White Box books & supplements, but it's too expensive
for me. Gradually I made my way over to Goodman games'
website as I own a few of the DCC 3E modules that have
the 1E flavor & stumbled on the DCC RPG. I read a few
reviews & determined this was a more creative approach
to OD&D than OD&D was & also cheaper.

I'm also a fan of GURPS and Traveller & am looking forward
to Traveller 5 out later this year. Normally I buy everything
in PDF, but lately, with hardbacks like Carcosa offering the
PDF with the hardback, as well as Traveler 5, & the new Premium
AD&D books, my interest has come back to owning physical
copies of newer material (even the new-ish GURPS 4E stuff).

With any luck, perhaps I'll find some online games here I
can try out after I've got my copy of the DCC RPG & had
a chance go through some of it (or look at solitaire play).

Thanks.

edit: thought this was under the intro thread. sorry!
Colin

Post by Colin »

Moved to the correct thread. :)
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

& welcome aboard! :D
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
centisteed
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by centisteed »

Raven_Crowking wrote:& welcome aboard! :D
Thanks, guys. :)
AQuebman
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by AQuebman »

Welcome Good Sir!
SharkTank
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by SharkTank »

Hello folks,

Played a little red box D&D back in the day and then AD&D for awhile. Since then I've played various editions from time to time over the years, but have ended up playing more board games and computer RPGs with my friends than paper ones. Bought and read some of the 4E books but found that none of us were that excited/motivated to play, so I looked for something else and found some of the OD&D revival games. Read about DCC and it sounded like a blast and a great blend of old and new. Picked up the book and a few add-ons, some funky dice, and am now reading up on the rules to prep for our first session.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Welcome aboard!
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
One Horse Town
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by One Horse Town »

Hi folks!

See some familiar faces here. Hi Colin!
cjoepar
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by cjoepar »

Howdy. I like the forums, seems like a great source of additional ideas.
catseye yellow
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by catseye yellow »

hi all, veteran of more than twenty years. entered into hobby during waning days of 1st edition and switched to 2nd edition soon afterwards. got out and than got back through planescape campaign setting in 1995. mostly DM (GM, judge...) but i like to play also. currently playing DCC and running warhammer 1st edition. oh yes i am living in badlands just across tile (in warhammer-speak).
aygee13
Gongfarmer

Post by aygee13 »

Hello,

I just discovered DCC through one of the other forums I frequent, ordered the book and fell in love with it. I have been gaming for around 30 years, and started with the brown books, and have played every edition since. While I am a big fan of Pathfinder and 3.x in general, DCC struck an old-school chord with me, and I wish to play it as soon and as often as possible. However, this new discovery happened to coincide with my recent cross-country move, so I am still in search of a new game out here in Portland. I have tried gaming with my old group via Skype a few times, but there's nothing like face-to face gaming.

Andy
dark cauliflower
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by dark cauliflower »

I got bored with most of the dnd stuff until I started reading about DCC Rpg. It took awhile from reading blog posts and watching videos on youtube to *get it*... it helped rekindle my love for sword gamez. Each blog/video was a step in making me interested in it. First it was the spells, then it was the art. After awhile it was reading the Grognards who said it was a great book but something that probably never play change their minds into playing and saying how great it was. Finally it was the dice that did it. I decided they were cool and that was it. Why we haven't been using these d7s, d3s and d30s prior to this remains a mystery to me.

Ive thought about getting into the old Stormbringer RPG too... not the Mongoose stuff(their Elric with superhero muscles turned me off).
Dark Cauliflower

--from deep night comes the cruciferiouz king!
Sundweller
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Sundweller »

Hi all! Name's Matt. Pretty much play (mostly GM) everything. Got my start with the D&D Red Box when I was 10 (still have my original d20, looks more like a small blue ball than a die now, heheh).

After playing warhammer for years, I started looking for that old school "d&d feel again". I started GM'ing Pathfinder, and while it has been enjoyable, I have slowly become disenchanted with it. Seems like we spend more time looking up rules and feats than actually playing.

Then came along DCC. This is exactly what I was looking for!!! Thank you Goodman!!!!

By the way Noble Drake, I noticed on your post that you live in Meridian Idaho. I live in Boise. We might have to hook up sometime...
TheNobleDrake
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by TheNobleDrake »

Sundweller wrote: By the way Noble Drake, I noticed on your post that you live in Meridian Idaho. I live in Boise. We might have to hook up sometime...
We just might.

My DCC crew has already outgrown the number of chairs that fit at my table... but that's why they invented different days of the week, right?
Relaxo
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Relaxo »

Howdy!
I'm Bill. DCC intrigues me. I play Castles & Crusades and X-Plorers nowadays; Cut my teeth on 2nd ed AD&D right during the opening of 2nd ed (first serious group hadn't really made the switch to 2nd ed but had the books... being a total newb I couldn't tell the difference (there weren't many, really).

Nowadays I work with Brave Halfling Publishing (I helped with an earlier version of Ruins of Ramat and some other goodies) and BHP will be publishing an adventure module I wrote for X-plorers in the spring... two more will follow, and BHP's partner Aracana Creations will be publishing an adventure I wrote for C&C in 2013 (Actually, many of the best ideas I had in those came from following Joe Goodman's advice about writing modules! Thanks, man!) I also submitted a Mystery Map adventure but who knows?

Anywho, while I haven't actually played DCC the game is really cool and soaked in great attitude that I dig. and I love the Appendix N stories I've read (The first Fafrd and Gray Mouser book, Elric saga thru book 5 back in the day, I'm rereading those and am at the beginning of #3, many of the Conan and Solomon Kane stories, I'm working thru the complete HP Lovecraft on my Kindle Fire at nights... all great stuff!)

I recognize a few names here from other forums, mostly I haunt the TLG forum, and perhaps should have lurked here longer before jumping in, but whatever.

So, Hi! :mrgreen:
josemasaga
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by josemasaga »

Hi there!

I'm a Spanish gamer, currently reading and playing all things DCC.
Since I joined the old school renaissance, I've been looking for a game that really embodies the spirit of the source material, and I think that DCC is the one that tries hard and succeeds at it.

By the way, believe or not, this game is becoming quite popular in Spain, even though the only way to buy it is through the internet (I haven't found any brick and mortar retailer in Madrid or Barcelona, the biggest cities in Spain).
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

Welcome to the boards, and welcome to the world of DCC!
josemasaga wrote:this game is becoming quite popular in Spain, even though the only way to buy it is through the internet (I haven't found any brick and mortar retailer in Madrid or Barcelona, the biggest cities in Spain).
Good to hear that you are enjoying the game, and that it's becoming popular there.

I assume the main limitation is the language -- the fact that the game isn't written in Spanish and I'm guessing that most of the Appendix N books haven't been translated into Spanish, either. Of course, having never been to Spain I don't know what percent of the population can read/write English so perhaps it's not as big a limitation as I would guess.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
Setroxs
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Setroxs »

So, I thought I could start my official presence here by a quick post on the Join the Band! topic.

From the Great Northern Wastes of Canada here I come. I have been role-player for more than half my life now and I've mostly mastered D&D and Cthulhu. I started playing D&D with the infamous Red Box and never stopped playing since.
I usually consider myself more of a Call of Cthulhu guy, and mastering that game still is a pleasure for me. The investigation, the role-play, the '20s feel of it... ahh, it's a good game.

Recently hopped on the OSR train because I was getting tired of Cthulhu, something about the game being depressing to my players, they wanted me to master something a little more cheerful and heroic. So, reluctantly, I looked at the D&D books sitting on my shelf...
I've got a long lasting love/hate relationship with D&D, it being my first RPG love, I had a hard time looking at what it has become with 4th edition...
Depressed at the idea of having to go back in all those books and rules and ''crunchy'' parts of the game while mastering Cthulhu had made me a ''fluffy'' Master, I started looking on the web for a simpler yet complete rule set with witch I could dip my toes in the Fantasy Role-Playing again.
That's when and where I found Dungeon Crawl Classics, and it immediately struck my fancy.

I've been playing the game since the start of last summer and it is going well. I like it, my players too. I've been wandering these forums as a ghost for the past few months and decided that I should start contributing, so here I am. Hope I'll be able to produce a little bit of usable material and ideas with and for you.

And hope that first post wasn't too long.

P.S. : English isn't my first language either. I'll try to be grammatically correct and not too hard to read, but there might be times I'll be harder to follow and I apologize in advance.
Primus
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Primus »

Greetings and welcome aboard.
THE ONE AND THE PRIME....NEVER FORGOTTEN
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

Setroxs wrote:I usually consider myself more of a Call of Cthulhu guy, and mastering that game still is a pleasure for me. The investigation, the role-play, the '20s feel of it... ahh, it's a good game.

Recently hopped on the OSR train because I was getting tired of Cthulhu, something about the game being depressing to my players, they wanted me to master something a little more cheerful and heroic.
I love CoC in concept, but hardly ever play it. I have a whole box of the stuff. My problem with CoC is that it's designed to be a dark and sinister setting where investigators aren't expected to beat the bad guys. To "win" at CoC you essentially avoid losing your mind.

DCC can be a dark and sinister setting as well, but the good guys have a decent shot of winning. There is some dark and twisted baddie, and you get to beat on him. Much more upbeat.

Glad you found DCC, and glad your group is having so much fun with it.

Welcome to the boards! :D
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

finarvyn wrote:My problem with CoC is that ... investigators aren't expected to beat the bad guys.
I'd disagree with this, based on what I've played and run over the last 2+ decades... You absolutely can't beat the Mythos entities themselves, but you can forestall the activities of mortals who act in the interest of the Great Old Ones, et al. Winning is maintaining the status quo.

It's a glass-half-full type of game. Never an "evil is destroyed!" game, but a "Whew! We stopped them today (I think)" game.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

GnomeBoy wrote:
finarvyn wrote:My problem with CoC is that ... investigators aren't expected to beat the bad guys.
I'd disagree with this, based on what I've played and run over the last 2+ decades... You absolutely can't beat the Mythos entities themselves, but you can forestall the activities of mortals who act in the interest of the Great Old Ones, et al. Winning is maintaining the status quo.

It's a glass-half-full type of game. Never an "evil is destroyed!" game, but a "Whew! We stopped them today (I think)" game.
I love CoC! You can play it Pulp style, and it'll still be fun. Using the mythos as the background of an action pulp adventure, or you can play it Literal style, and everyone dies or goes crazy. If you're a fan of the books, the appeal of trying to play those doomed characters is obvious. But there is nothing wrong with playing Indiana Jones or having more of an X-Files vibe. Most of the Goodman Games modules for CoC are pretty Pulp.
Reverend Dakota Jesus Ultimak, S.S.M.o.t.S.M.S., D.M.

(Dungeon) Master In Chief of Crawl! fanzine. - http://www.crawlfanzine.com/

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons

Return to “DCC RPG General”