A few questions about skills

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

thewisewizard
Ill-Fated Peasant

A few questions about skills

Post by thewisewizard »

Hello everyone! I've been looking into a new rp to run for my gaming group and I really like DCC. I just was wondering how do skills work? By that I mean is there a skills mechanic like in pathfinder or dnd 3.5? It would be great if someone could clarify this for me
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Re: A few questions about skills

Post by finarvyn »

Well, keep in mind that the skills "chapter" is only four pages long, and two of those four pages are black or artwork. Not much to work with here. :lol:

There really isn't a true "skill list" but instead the DM is encouraged to interpret the situation and choose an appropriate stat that seems to fit the task that a character is trying to accomplish.

Basically you roll a d20 to beat a difficulty number (regular checks) or the roll of the other guy (opposed check).

That's about it, really.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

finarvyn wrote:That's about it, really.
...well.... it's also supposed to be influenced by your pre-adventuring occupation.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
thewisewizard
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by thewisewizard »

Thanks
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

GnomeBoy wrote:
finarvyn wrote:That's about it, really.
...well.... it's also supposed to be influenced by your pre-adventuring occupation.
Okay, so my "about it" was lacking a little. :lol:

Either way, skills are quick and easy to run!
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
Skyscraper
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Skyscraper »

OKay, as a newbie, I'll add a bit to this experienced player's reply.

Each PC starts with a basic occupation. This will influence your PC's training.

Skill rolls are either untrained (1d10 + stat bonus) or trained (1d20 + stat bonus). The training depends on whether the DM and player feel that the PC's occupation could be related to the task at hand. (Presumably, the character's class could also be used for this same purpose. A warrior might be good to evaluate the quality of a weapon, for example, but I don't recall the rules saying so). The stat bonus is whatever among the six basic stats, that the judge feels should be used. If what the PC is doing is based on, say, intelligence, then that particular skill roll gets the INT Bonus.

My impression: this skill system is brilliant by its simplicity.

The only question that came up in my short gaming experience, is when to do an ability check (1d20) where the 1d10 vs 1d20 question doesn't come up; and when to have a skill roll where the 1d10 vs 1d20 question comes up. For example, if the fighter wishes to sprint to the other side of a clearing, do you do a STR check (1d20 + STR) or an untrained skill roll (1d10 + STR)? Likewise, if he wants to break a locked door down?
Maledict Brothbreath, level 4 warrior, STR 16 (+2) AGI 7 (-1) STA 12 PER 9 INT 10 LUCK 15 (+1), AC: 16 Refl: +1 Fort: +2 Will: +1; lawful; Armor of the Lion and Lily's Blade.

Brother Sufferus, level 4 cleric, STR 13 (+1) AGI 15 (+1) STA 11 PER 13 (+1) INT 10 LUCK 9, AC: 11 (13 if wounded, 15 if down to half hit points), Refl: +3 Fort: +2 Will: +3, chaotic, Robe of the Faith, Scourge of the Maimed One, Darts of Pain.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

Thanks for your addition, Skyscraper. When I re-read my post I realized I was kind of vague and you filled in the details of how the mechanic works, which my post was sadly lacking.
Skyscraper wrote:The only question that came up in my short gaming experience, is when to do an ability check (1d20) where the 1d10 vs 1d20 question doesn't come up; and when to have a skill roll where the 1d10 vs 1d20 question comes up. For example, if the fighter wishes to sprint to the other side of a clearing, do you do a STR check (1d20 + STR) or an untrained skill roll (1d10 + STR)? Likewise, if he wants to break a locked door down?
I like to think that specific trumps general. If a person has a specific sprinting ability that would become the default, but without such we would default to a STR check. In other words, abilities gained through background profession can actually be useful if the situation merits.

In general I don't do much with skills and typically default to stat checks. One thing I tinkered with was the notion that a player could pick 3 advantages or things he does well and it would be a lot like having 3 skills per character. They could pick anything from a 3E rules set or whatever, but then I would allow them to have a bonus to their roll if those skills were useful in the adventure. One warning, however, is to be sure that players can't pick combat bonuses or other abilites which might prove to be too advantageous. (We all know that players are clever, however, and sometimes they out-think how they can use a skill which seems pretty tame at first. Darned clever players! :lol: )
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

Thanks for your addition, Skyscraper. When I re-read my post I realized I was kind of vague and you filled in the details of how the mechanic works, which my post was sadly lacking.
Skyscraper wrote:The only question that came up in my short gaming experience, is when to do an ability check (1d20) where the 1d10 vs 1d20 question doesn't come up; and when to have a skill roll where the 1d10 vs 1d20 question comes up. For example, if the fighter wishes to sprint to the other side of a clearing, do you do a STR check (1d20 + STR) or an untrained skill roll (1d10 + STR)? Likewise, if he wants to break a locked door down?
I like to think that specific trumps general. If a person has a specific sprinting ability that would become the default, but without such we would default to a STR check. In other words, abilities gained through background profession can actually be useful if the situation merits.

In general I don't do much with skills and typically default to stat checks. One thing I tinkered with was the notion that a player could pick 3 advantages or things he does well and it would be a lot like having 3 skills per character. They could pick anything from a 3E rules set or whatever, but then I would allow them to have a bonus to their roll if those skills were useful in the adventure. One warning, however, is to be sure that players can't pick combat bonuses or other abilites which might prove to be too advantageous. (We all know that players are clever, however, and sometimes they out-think how they can use a skill which seems pretty tame at first. Darned clever players! :lol: )
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman

Return to “Rules discussion”