Activity included as part of movement action

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

raskal
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Activity included as part of movement action

Post by raskal »

In the Actions chapter, the rule says than some activities take times. To be honest, i am not sure to understand this rule.

I play that these activities consume 1 action (replace an action) but i have some trouble about the fact that some activities as Draw weapon, equip shield, open a door, can be included as part of a mouvement action. How to play ?
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Re: Activity included as part of movement action

Post by Raven_Crowking »

raskal wrote:In the Actions chapter, the rule says than some activities take times. To be honest, i am not sure to understand this rule.

I play that these activities consume 1 action (replace an action) but i have some trouble about the fact that some activities as Draw weapon, equip shield, open a door, can be included as part of a mouvement action. How to play ?
Use your common sense.

If you are the judge, and you think something is significant (i.e., you could not do it while moving), it takes an action. If not, then not.

If you are a player, the judge decides.

The alternative is a list of actions, move actions, free actions, half-actions, etc. that must be consulted for each character each round, and the looonnnnggggg combats that result, where 3 rounds of action take 30 minutes to resolve. :evil:

Personally, I prefer the DCC way. :D
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

I am not 100% sure how to help with the question, since I am not 100% sure what is confusing...

But drawing a weapon or opening a door can be done as part of a move action because you can (in the real world) move and do these things successfully. Most folks don't pause or take to long to open a (unlocked) door, they just go right through -- you could open a door (action with move), walk to the phone (move), and answer it (action die). Drinking a beverage/potion while running (without a 'camel-back' or similar) is not effective, unless getting it all down your neck and shirt was what you were going for...

That is the essence of that table.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Gizrond
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Gizrond »

As long as you are consistent, you should be fine.

If you decide that pulling out a potion and drinking it takes an action for a PC, don't let your villains drink a potion later without taking an action to do it.
raskal
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by raskal »

Thank you for all these clues full of common sense but obviously I'm not very clear and precise in my question. My question was less about philosophy and more about how these points are played by other Judges.
Pesky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Pesky »

raskal wrote:Thank you for all these clues full of common sense but obviously I'm not very clear and precise in my question. My question was less about philosophy and more about how these points are played by other Judges.
I play RAW unless something doesn't feel right to me or my players. If my players have an objection, I have them pony up a solution and justification in a minute or less. If it is reasonable and non-exploitive, I usually give it to them. If it takes longer than a minute, then we drop it, move on, and I let them suggest the change the next time we play.
Terry Olson
Gizrond
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Gizrond »

Sorry, I haven't run my first DCC game yet, so I can't help with many specifics.

I can give one example from my AD&D days: When the players discussed tactics among themselves during a combat and the conversation went over 60 seconds of real time, I would rule that they spent an action shouting plans to one another. It frustrated my players at first, but it sped up combat greatly and made it much more frantic and less calculated. Once they adjusted the players all loved it.
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

I play it like this. Your character can do one significant thing per round per action die (ACT) they have. Typically one action until around 4th or so. A "significant" action is typically any action that requires a Roll or Check. Consuming a potion or reading a scroll is also a significant action, though there isn't any dice rolled. But it's like using a magic item, whether it's attacking with a magic sword or casting a spell from a scroll, it's an action.

And they can move before or after that action, which includes standing up from prone, climbing or and moving up to their speed. During that move they can do anything that's reasonable, such as stow an item, or draw an item, point, load a crossbow. Within reason is the main stipulation. Such as, you can't do anything with your hands if you're climbing a ladder, etc.

Honestly my group hasn't had any issues with the "one or two" things per round.
Reverend Dakota Jesus Ultimak, S.S.M.o.t.S.M.S., D.M.

(Dungeon) Master In Chief of Crawl! fanzine. - http://www.crawlfanzine.com/

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons
raskal
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by raskal »

reverenddak wrote:I play it like this../..
It's clear. Thanks

Return to “Rules discussion”