Goodman Games

Fan Forums
It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: The Worst Wizard Ever
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:22 am 
Offline
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:59 am
Posts: 127
So I wanted to ask around the boards about how people are handling the roll for wizards to successfully learn a spell.

I have a wizard in my part with a 16 intelligence and including his CL he has a +3 spell check. I was as a first time rule making players roll 10 + spell level to learn a spell. My brilliantly unlucky player failed every spell roll for his starting spells. So while I love the random reality that DCC puts you in it made me wonder if I was being too harsh on the DC to learn a spell.

I am leaning towards "oh well bad luck your mage better learn to study if he lives" but I want to make sure i'm following the DCC spirit of the rules as best as I can. This seems to be a rare circumstance as the two elves in the group only failed to learn 1 or 2 spells.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Worst Wizard Ever
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:37 am 
Offline
Cold-Hearted Immortal
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:41 am
Posts: 2214
AQuebman wrote:
So I wanted to ask around the boards about how people are handling the roll for wizards to successfully learn a spell.

I have a wizard in my part with a 16 intelligence and including his CL he has a +3 spell check. I was as a first time rule making players roll 10 + spell level to learn a spell. My brilliantly unlucky player failed every spell roll for his starting spells. So while I love the random reality that DCC puts you in it made me wonder if I was being too harsh on the DC to learn a spell.

I am leaning towards "oh well bad luck your mage better learn to study if he lives" but I want to make sure i'm following the DCC spirit of the rules as best as I can. This seems to be a rare circumstance as the two elves in the group only failed to learn 1 or 2 spells.


What you might consider doing is writing an adventure to uncover one or more other possible spells, thus giving him a chance to learn them. Remember that the wizard still has those "slots" open, and if he survives to level 2, he may try to learn the spells he failed to learn this time out, so long as he has an open slot.

Also, consider adding a magical treasure that allows for some limited spellcasting even if he has learned no spells himself. Give the item a suitable drawback to make it less desirable than learning spells, although still useful.

Have fun with it. Give the character rumours and chances to better himself. Let him succeed or fail on the merits of his choices with the opportunities you provide. In DCC, the funnel doesn't really stop at 0-level.


RC

_________________
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Worst Wizard Ever
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:10 am 
Offline
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:59 am
Posts: 127
Thanks Raven, it sounds like I was rolling things fairly and the rest can be handled skillfully in the story. Probably good the guy can't cast spells 2 of them got the weatherman mercurial magic, so we'd have an eclipse and hurricane force winds all the time lol.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Worst Wizard Ever
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:40 am 
Offline
Cold-Hearted Immortal
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:41 am
Posts: 2214
AQuebman wrote:
Thanks Raven, it sounds like I was rolling things fairly and the rest can be handled skillfully in the story. Probably good the guy can't cast spells 2 of them got the weatherman mercurial magic, so we'd have an eclipse and hurricane force winds all the time lol.


Have you read much of Appendix N? In Fletcher Pratt's The Well of the Unicorn, the protagonist can cast some snazzy spells, but they leave him "weaker than his sister" for days afterwards. Having to make these kinds of decisions about spellcasting really makes the game fun, IMHO and IME.

And the weird thing, mercurial magic really does differentiate casters. My son's wizard seems to be drawn toward dark necromantic effects. His friend has received "gender bender" for more than one spell at 1st level. Needless to say, these casters have a very different "feel". No one would mistake one for the other in play!

_________________
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Worst Wizard Ever
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:42 am 
Offline
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:59 am
Posts: 127
I haven't read Appendix N unfortunately but I really love that feel. His wizard if he ever learns to cast feels like Storm from the X-men. It's going to be another day of shoddy weather thanks to the adventurers! lol

I've read about half of the Dragonlance series and I always thought Raistlin was really cool especially since the magic would just pound his body and his soul.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Worst Wizard Ever
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:48 am 
Offline
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:45 am
Posts: 39
Location: New Hampshire
Sounds like someone is going to need to make a pact with otherworldly entities for spell knowledge.

What's the worst that could happen? :twisted:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Worst Wizard Ever
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:57 am 
Offline
Cold-Hearted Immortal
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:41 am
Posts: 2214
AQuebman wrote:
I haven't read Appendix N unfortunately but I really love that feel. His wizard if he ever learns to cast feels like Storm from the X-men. It's going to be another day of shoddy weather thanks to the adventurers! lol

I've read about half of the Dragonlance series and I always thought Raistlin was really cool especially since the magic would just pound his body and his soul.


Note that the mercurial magic roll, by the book, comes when the spell is learned, so that the wizard's luck at that time affects the outcome. Your wizard might have burned luck to learn a spell if his roll was close....but that would also cause a less fortunate mercurial.

_________________
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Worst Wizard Ever
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:04 am 
Offline
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:59 am
Posts: 127
I haven't had any luck burning. I admittedly didn't think about mentioning it but part of that is because the highest Luck in the 6 PC party is like 11 so I think at this point they are just happy they aren't being burned by their luck.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Worst Wizard Ever
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:11 am 
Offline
Cold-Hearted Immortal
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:01 am
Posts: 1200
Location: Atlanta, GA
11 Luck is entirely useful... can burn several points before incurring a meaningful penalty (and, really, -1 isn't that awful, either).

_________________

RoM pbp:
Hamun Ry (Wiz 4)
Str 10 Agi 15 (+1) Sta 11 Per 11 Int 17 (+2) Luc 10 (Unholy House). Align: C. AC: 14. HP: 13. Melee +1, Ranged +2. Crit: d8, I. Save: Ref +5, Fort +3, Will +4.
Spells: 1: Choking Cloud, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic (odd crystal growths), Magic Missile (mirror images), Runic Alphabet (Mortal) (ravenously hungry), Ventriloquism (rain of frogs)
2: Detect Invisible, Levitate (extremely difficult, d14), Mirror Image (20% chance to raise/lower luck by 1d3 points).
Equip: Ring of the Sand Djinn: +2 AC/saves, Invisibility for 1min/spellburn point, or unmake for great, unknown effect. Padded Armor, Longsword, Longbow, quiver w/20 steel-tipped arrows, 10 silver-tipped arrows, backpack, spellbook, quill and ink, sturdy parchment (10 sheets), 5 days rations, high leather boots, belt w/ belt pouch, gray robe, dark gray hooded cloak. Also carries 3 small mechanical toys: wind-up mouse, wooden puzzle cube, small jewelry box that plays a little tune.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Worst Wizard Ever
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:14 am 
Offline
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:59 am
Posts: 127
beermotor wrote:
11 Luck is entirely useful... can burn several points before incurring a meaningful penalty (and, really, -1 isn't that awful, either).


yeah I honestly forgot about it when I was running. Off-hand because I can't remember does your birth augur roll stay the same or move with your luck?


We also have no thief or Halfling so that's the other problem is that there's not a frequent luck user to overly encourage it's use.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Worst Wizard Ever
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:23 am 
Offline
Cold-Hearted Immortal
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:41 am
Posts: 2214
AQuebman wrote:
Off-hand because I can't remember does your birth augur roll stay the same or move with your luck?


Stays with original Luck.

_________________
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Worst Wizard Ever
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:25 am 
Offline
Cold-Hearted Immortal
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:01 am
Posts: 1200
Location: Atlanta, GA
Raven_Crowking wrote:
AQuebman wrote:
Off-hand because I can't remember does your birth augur roll stay the same or move with your luck?


Stays with original Luck.


That's the RAW, but I allow it to float w/ Luck. Time will tell if that's a bad idea or not, right now I have no data to say either way.

_________________

RoM pbp:
Hamun Ry (Wiz 4)
Str 10 Agi 15 (+1) Sta 11 Per 11 Int 17 (+2) Luc 10 (Unholy House). Align: C. AC: 14. HP: 13. Melee +1, Ranged +2. Crit: d8, I. Save: Ref +5, Fort +3, Will +4.
Spells: 1: Choking Cloud, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic (odd crystal growths), Magic Missile (mirror images), Runic Alphabet (Mortal) (ravenously hungry), Ventriloquism (rain of frogs)
2: Detect Invisible, Levitate (extremely difficult, d14), Mirror Image (20% chance to raise/lower luck by 1d3 points).
Equip: Ring of the Sand Djinn: +2 AC/saves, Invisibility for 1min/spellburn point, or unmake for great, unknown effect. Padded Armor, Longsword, Longbow, quiver w/20 steel-tipped arrows, 10 silver-tipped arrows, backpack, spellbook, quill and ink, sturdy parchment (10 sheets), 5 days rations, high leather boots, belt w/ belt pouch, gray robe, dark gray hooded cloak. Also carries 3 small mechanical toys: wind-up mouse, wooden puzzle cube, small jewelry box that plays a little tune.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Worst Wizard Ever
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:39 pm 
Offline
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:59 am
Posts: 127
beermotor wrote:
Raven_Crowking wrote:
AQuebman wrote:
Off-hand because I can't remember does your birth augur roll stay the same or move with your luck?


Stays with original Luck.


That's the RAW, but I allow it to float w/ Luck. Time will tell if that's a bad idea or not, right now I have no data to say either way.



I'll probably stay strict with that. Most of my players don't have any bonus anyways so they should be relieved they wont' feel the negativity of it either.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group